Fibromyalgia Community
Looking for physician

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Looking for physician

I live in Indianapolis, Indiana, is there anyone who knows of a doctor that treat fibromyalgia patients in the area?  I was diagnosed with Fibro 12 years ago at Mayo in Minn., I am now 66 years old and my symptoms and pain has only gotten worse.  Currently, I am seeing a pain management specialist who has me on Duragesic patch and hydromorphone for break thru pain.  I have tried to go without the pain meds and can't function.  I have the fibro fog, pain in the bones of my legs and doctors who don't know what to treat.  I had never even heard of fibro fog and a lot of other symptoms until I ran across this forum.  My children just attribute it to "Mom taking too much pain medication", even thought that's not true.  Have been enduring lots of pain to stay off the medication.  Any help out there?
I also live in Indianapolis, and would love to know of a physician that deals with FMS.  Actually I'm not so sure that I even have FMS....  Hopefully, you and I can get some answers...

Hi Guys,

You may want to consider googling "Co-Cure.org" + "Good Doctor List". Co-Cure's members who have CFS and/or Fibro submit names of their physicians who have successfully treated them and Co-Cure adds those names to their list. They do have two physicians listed in Indiana.

Good luck !
Hey I also live in Indy and have Fibromyalgia and also need a doctor. Let me know if you have found anyone.  Molly S
I live in Huntington, IN and travel to Indy sometimes three times in a month (2 1/2 hour drive each way) to see two Physicians:  One is Dr. Riley Snook, a neurologist who has helped me greatly with my fibromyalgia, and the other is Dr. Joshua Wellington, a pain specialist.  To see Dr. Wellington, you must be referred to him by another physician.  Dr. Wellington and Dr. Snook are both young physicians who are up on the latest treatments.  They both practice out of IU Med Center, and really care about their patients.  They don't sit and write things down in your chart while you are talking to them.  They spend time with you and listen to what is wrong while looking you in the eye.  I have seen Dr. Snook for almost two years, and almost one year for Dr. Wellington.  Dr. Wellington is trying to help me with Degenerative Disc Disease pain and said this treatment for which I am waiting may also help with the Fibromyalgia.  See if your current doc can set up an appointment with Dr. Snook  or even Dr. Pascuzzi, who is the head of the Neuro Department and the first Dr. I met in his practice.  I haven't yet met anyone at IU who wasn't nice and seemed to care.  

Hoe this may help you!

Lisa
Sorry!  It was supposed to say, " Hope this will help you!"

Lisa
I live in Indy also and my pain has gotten worse. Especially the bottoms of my feet and legs.  I'm told that walking and excercise is suppose to help but not for me.  I've tried to walk and the pain is horrible the next day.  
I am 61 and was diagnosed in 2003.  My fibro fog is getting worse too.  I take Alieve it doesn't help as much as it used to.  My doctor doesn't seem to give any advice or suggestions on what to do on anything.  So I do the best I can to cope.  Should I be lifting heavy things?

You may want to consider googling "Co-Cure.org" + "Good Doctor List". Co-Cure's members who have CFS and/or Fibro submit names of their physicians who have successfully treated them and Co-Cure adds those names to their list.

Good luck !
Try Dr McLimore at OrthoIndy and Lyrica. Both have helped me. Still praying for a cure!
I've lived near Brownsburg for over a year and am on my second GP, who does not know about or understand FMS.  I'm 54 and I've had FMS for 30 years, I've had it's companion disease Chronic Myofascia Pain probably about as long, and have had CFS for 5 years.  I'm going to check into some of the above suggestions for doctors, but I have the extra challenge of no insurance.  
But I would like to inform all that there is a FMS support group that meets in Danville at the Hendricks Regional Hospital twice a month on Fridays at 1pm.  For more information and a schedule of meeting dates, the phone number is:  317-745-3553, and they are also listed on the hospital website under support groups.  I've learned a lot from the other women and we always gain strength just from the support of being together.  New friends are always welcome.

Donna  

I have had fibromyalgia for years and have just been diagnosed this past year. My pain specialist prescribed Effexor, it is an anti-depressant but is also given for fibromyalgia. My pain is much better and the fibro-fog has lifted. It would be worth the try!!! I am very pleased with the results. Hope this information helps.
Ah yes,  DR. RILEY J. SNOOK. I'm not saying anything negative about him. I highly suggest you search engine  research Any doctors name Before making an appointment.
Have your doctor check your feet for inflammation. I also have tremendous pain in my feet and can't walk more than a few feet without pain. I'm seeing a foot doctor this month for plantar fasciitis. That is what my rheumatologist thinks it is. I'm hoping for pain relief which may require cortizone shots or surgery to remove the large lumps on the arches of my feet.
Good luck to you.