Fibromyalgia Community
Lyrica, Cymbalta, or Savella. Newly Diagnosed Help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Hi.  My name is Rachel and I am 33.  I have been diagnosed within the past month with fibromyalgia... Well... They cannot find anything else wrong so this is what I have been told that I have. From what reading I have done since I feel that it is the correct diagnosis for me.  I suffer from SEVERE fatigue, muscle and joint pain, insomnia, depression, and irritability.  I am to have a follow up appointment this week to discuss treatment options.  My rheumo. has offered/recommended the following:  Savella, Cymbalta, or Lyrica.  I need some honest feedback from those with Fibro. that have tried these different treatments and which ones worked for you and which ones had extreme side effects, or did not help.  Currently I am on Prozac, muscle relaxors (which don't help), and Tramadol (which also doesn't help).  The only med that has worked for me so far has unfortunatley been narcotic medication.  Can someone please offer some advice so I don't go into this appointment blind.  I do not want anything that is going to cause me to be sedated even more than I already am...
It is hard to say how you will react to any of those medications. For many it is a "trial & error". I used both Gab & Lyrica, but I retained to much fluid in the ankles so dr. took me off of them. For me I just use OTC medications when I need to.
Sorry you have all that you do; but you're not alone. I've taken Gab; awful side-effects. Lyrica, well, I was on that for quite some time, they kept upping the dosage, but it really  did not help. I am currently on Cymbalta, 90mg; which I have to take in 2 pills (60 & 30) because they don't make a 90mg.

Anyway, the Cymbalta doesn't really seem to help all that much either... Now, they said I should take Lyrica AND Cymbalta together. I haven't had the script filled yet, so I don't know how that will be, but, I have heard that it helps some.

I was also on Lexapro for a long, long time. Now that I am not, I am at least, a little, more "connected". - It seemed to keep me in a deeper fog than just the fibro.
I'm on Gabapentine and it works great for me. I was on Cymbalta 120 mg for years and I have to warn you that, that medication is horrible!!!! It took me already being sick to be able to finally get off of it. If you look up the withdrawals on Cymbalta you will find many people who compare the withdrawals to Heroin withdrawals. I personally can't relate to that but I was sick for two weeks and couldn't get out of bed except to throw up. My mood was constantly fluctuating aswell. Please becareful and best of luck finding a medication that works for you!

P.S. Everyone is different and each medication reacts differently to each individual. I personally have no reaction to Vicodine (not pain wise or any other way, it's like I didn't even take it) for instance but my mom has no pain on it and passes out.