Fibromyalgia Community
Lyrica Side Effects & Time Frame

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Lyrica Side Effects & Time Frame

Hello!  This is the first time I've posted in this forum; historically, I have posted in the Pain Management Forum.  Anyway, I was prescribed Lyrica and have been taking it for about 3 weeks.  Before I started taking the medication, I researched all of the (horrible) side effects but have not really experienced any yet at 75 mg. twice a day.  If anyone has taken Lyrica and experienced side effects, did they usually begin shortly after you started to take the medication or did they take awhile to kick in?  Also, I think I may need an additional dose in the afternoon because I have been getting break-through pain around that time; did anyone begin to experience side effects after increasing dosage who did not initially experience any?  Lyrica has actually been working for me so far, which is miraculous after years of finding no relief, but I do not want to become overly excited quite yet.  Thanks for your input!
Hello and welcome -

Were you going to experience any serious side-effects you would have noticed them shortly after beginning the medication.  Since you've been on it for 3 wks. without event you are past the critical stage.  

Yes, if your dosage is increased by your physician you may notice more side-effects (as with an increase in any medication).  It depends largely on your body chemistry and how the drug interacts...everyone is different.  

I took Lyrica for approx. a year and discontinued it due to the cognitive side-effects.  I just did not like feeling more confused than I already was, lol.  While it did work for the pain, it wasn't for me.  I tried Neurontin, but even the smallest dose makes me physically ill.  

I hope you continue to do well and just stay in touch with your doctor about any concerns you have while taking Lyrica.  He can adjust the dose as necessary.  Glad you are finding some relief.

Take care.
I do know lyrica can work great for many..i exerienced too many side effects from it but many do not.I take neurontin which is similare but no drowsy dise effect//cept the first week or so//and lyrica made me a bit loopy....if they get ur dose right lyrica can help more with pain than narcotics anydat of the week..specially fibro pain..good luckv
I am in the process of taking Lyirca. When I started taking Lyrica at 75 mg. 2 times then 3 times a day I had no side effects. When I started 150mg I started feeling dizzy and well I will say stoned. I am hoping that these side effects will go away in time as my Dr. hopes. I'm a teacher and I have the summer off I am hoping that I can get over it by the time school starts.