Fibromyalgia Community
Lyrica as needed??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Lyrica as needed??

I have a question for anyone reading this......Can Lyrica be taken "As Needed" ??  
The neuralgia aspects of my symptoms are rampant and since Lyrica focuses on calming the nerve endings, I was hoping when I was flaring, I could take it then.

I recently used one of those rubberband exercisers to tighten my chest muscles and shoulders. Ten reps 3 times a day.  Not much, easy going.  Three days after doing it for two days I have had for a whole week  of an excruciating cluster migraine turning into neuralgia along both sides of my head and face from my neck and collar bone. Now the neuralgia pain is gone but my skin from the neck to my scalp is burning like I spread ben gay all over it.  

This is eposodic and won't happen again until I do something else like live life.  

You may want to call and speak with your local pharmacist.. he or she should be able to answer your questions.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon !
Hey, how are you?  

So I took your advice and called the pharmacist.  He gave me exactly what I thought he would.  No new news.  You have to keep the levels up to protect the nerves from damage and help pain levels.  

I asked him also If it lowers the seizure threshold and his answer was yes.  I cannot take it regularly then because I am on Wellbutrin which lowers the seizure threshold.

The difference with me is that I am on anti seizure medicine for migraines.  (Topamax)

I KNOW Someone who takes LYRICA as needed.  Anyone else out there with this experience???
Hi, I am a pharmacy technician. Lyrica is said to be able to take as needed...however, I believe what they mean by that is to take during flare ups. This being said, you could be in a flare up that gives you some relief (that you may or may not notice) but that it should be taken every day during your flare up. That could last three weeks, a month, a year..... Does this make sense? I know what I mean but may not have expressed it well. LOL

Also, a question for you, you are taking Topomax (topamax)? This cures your migraines does it? I get migraines as well....but I am about to ask for it from my pdoc for bipolar disorder. It is supposed to help there as well. I asked him about it once and he agreed to give it once I stabilized....I hope this is what he means....he is a pharmacologist....so I tend to ask him questions and report back here...lol
Hi, thank you for responding to me.  I really like your name.  

I had migraines four times a week avg. and I am a polar bear also :0)

Five years ago I went on Topamax and within a short period of time I was migraine free.  

I have been on other antidepressants with the Topamax instead of the now Wellbutrin, but with all, the bipolar issue has been stable.  

A contributing factor in my migraine success may be that I'm also on Atenolol 50mg.  

I started out on 100mg. Topamax and went up in 25mg. increments.  I'm now on 150mg. for a few years and doing well.

Try the Topamax  and do not be alarmed at the difficulty you may experience at first adjusting to the medication.  If you can take the first week off of work, do so.  Speech and sporatic conversation was my nuisance, and my husbands, LOL You may be lightheaded also, all this will go away soon.

Best wishes