Fibromyalgia Community
Lyrica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Lyrica

My dr started me on Lyrica 5 weeks ago, and it is the first medication that has helped me. I can swim laps in pool, and am even walking a mile most days. I couldn't do any of this before the medication. I could barely work, or clean house. I did hire a house cleaner  every other week, which helps a lot. I still hurt, but at least it is bearable now. Certainly worth a try  if your dr will perscribe it.
I started taking Lyrica this past Friday and I can't keep my eyes open.  I was tired enough before I started taking it!!!  I have done nothing all weekend but sleep.  Does it have this effect on you?  I am only taking 75mg in the morning and at night.  I know it's only been 3 days since I started it, but I can't imagine how I will feel when I have to increase it after this week.
My Sister has Fibro/CFS/Neuropathy very bad.  She couldn't walk her feet hurt so much.  She had been taking Lyrica about a year and said it was better then the Neurontin they had her on.  Then a Doctor added Cymbalta to the Lyrica and she is much improved.  The Cymbalta is a anti-depressant/neuropathy medication.  Thought I would mention this as you maybe able to reduce your pain even farther and feel better at the same time.
I haven't had any problems with being sleepy, which is unusual for me, as I always wanted to take a nap, sometimes 2hrs after I got up. Try to keep on it if you can, and give it a chance to work. I do also take Cymbalta. The combo does a good job, but I also take Tizanadine for muscle spasms, along with diabetic medicine, water pills, and Toporol for my rapid heart rate. 13 pills a day. Thank God for insurance, doesn't pay it all, but it helps. I don't take any vitamins or stuff like that. I hate to introduce anything else to the mix. Thank you so much for the replies.
Hi everyone...I'm new to this this forum.  I've suffered fro Fibro for over 20 years.  I've always been able to carry on somewhat in spite of the pain up until 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis.  They say there is a strong connection  between the two.  It was at that time that it got really bad, and has been getting increasing worse since then.  It's been so intolerable that in the last couple weeks I had to take time off from work.  I, too, was prescribed Lyrica on Friday and have just taken my first dose this evening.  My Doc started me on 50mg at night at first and then build up slowly since Fibro's can be sensitive to meds.  I glad you're getting relief. I need it too...desperately!  I hope it works.
I also take Tizanandine, 8mg a night, along with Baclofen, Remeron,and Konopin.  This little "cocktail" is to help me sleep because the pain is so severe at night ,especially during the early morning.  Last night I had some intense dreams and awoke feeling a little "off" this morning after taking the Lyrica.  I believe it's because I take so much junk.  How long did it take to work for you?
Today was my first day at work taking Lyrica.  Everybody at work said I looked like I was on drugs.  All I want to do is sleep. I take Cymbalta at night too.  I also take Diovan for high blood pressure, Toprol XL for palpatations and rapid heart rate, Topamax for migraine prevention, Protonix for GERD.  I just don't know how much longer my body will be able to go on.  I am about to drop.  I am willing to try to hang in there to see if it gets better.  I had a message today when I got home from the rheumatolgist to call back in refernce to an appointment.  My fingers are crossed.

i usually post on the ms site iv been on lyrica for two months and it has made a huge difference to my nerve and muscle pain ( i came down with bad muscle spasm in May for two weeks could not feed myself or walk)  i was already under a neuro  when that happened as had been having memory probs word recall bladder and bowel problems balance muscle weakness and nerve pain.

Im on 375mg a day i started with 75mg it does make you tired but you do get used to that and it makes me dizzy but also i have put weight on with it which is a side effect.

I had my MRI today after waiting 3 months for it ( im in the UK and on the NHS)  and am still a waiting a dx.

lyrica is not for everybody but it does work for me!!
Have been reading some of the sx on this page and it does sound simular to my sx but i have bouts of it the nerve sx are always there but the other sx come in bouts. Do firbros have bouts? or is it constant. I So wish i knew what was wrong with me!!!

Hope your all well
Fibro does have what are called flares.you can go along pretty good for a while, then it "flares" up. Stress is a trigger, plus overdoing things. On good days we all tend to do overdo, then pay for it for days later. Good luck on a dx.
I have been on Lyrica for over a year and a half... and it seems to be working now to help with pain.  I have to admit that when I first started taking it - it made me tired, feel like I had drank a bottle of wine, a little depressed... however I decided to stick with it a while and see how things went.  After about three weeks my body adjusted to the Lyrica and the tiredness, woozy feelings, and depression alleviated.  Last month a year and five months after starting Lyrica my pain started being a lot more noticeable and my dosage was increased and I've experienced these same side effects again however, from previous experience, I know that they will eventually become almost unnoticeable.  
I tried Lyrica twice.  Both times I took it, around day 10, I felt cured of my Fibromyalgia that I have had for 6 years.  I was pain free and movement was effortless.  I had energy!  Anxieties were gone and I was leaving the house and visiting with people. My bladder worked.  I was on top of the world.  I went shopping and ran errands.  People around me were saying that I was back to my old self.  I was happy and I lived life.  I had some memory issues, couldn't find words and felt a dit dissociated but it was a small sacrafice compared to the benefit I got.  The side effects started to diminish but at the same time the effectiveness wore off.  From that point on the all effects, good and bad, started to dimininsh.  Increased dosages helped for a while, but by the 3rd month I was laid up with fibromyalgia and holed up in the house again.  This happened on both times that I was on it.  .
I went off the Lyica once the effectiveness was gone the first time I tried Lyrica.  I tricked down the dose over 2 weeks.  Then I plummeted into the darkest and deepest depression of my life.  
My doctor is keeping me on the Lyrica now even though it isn't doing anything.  At least it is keeping me from bottoming out during the withdrawl (withdrawal) process.  
I'm crushed about the fact that the lyrica didn't continue to work.  I had forgotten how it felt to feel good and happy.  Now I miss it that much more.
I am wondering if a 2 month on./2 month off schedule would keep my body from adapting to the Lyrica and rendering it useless.
Any other experiences of Lyrica being a miracle cure and then fading away?  It feels like the movie with Robin Williams "Awakenings"...or worse "Flowers for Algernon".
Try it.  Hopefully it won't fade away on you.
The Lyrica was working well for me, but I had to stop it because I've gained 9 lbs in 2 monts. Too much to handle with my diabetes. I'm supposed to be losing weight, not gaining it. It did give me hope tho, maybe if I can ever get my weight off I can try it again. I stopped it cold turkey...Is this a bad idea? I take Celexa, Tizanadine, ToprolXL and Ambien at night. Plus diabetes meds, and water pill (in am). 13 pills a day. I'm so tired of being tired. Sorry you can't get a dxuk2, I see you on ms site too. I would recommend trying the Lyrica to anybody, it just didn't work out with the side effects for me.
I saw it start to take effect in a week. Sorry I missed replyiiing. Welcome to the forum. Let us know how Lyrica works for you, hope you're feeling better. Sometimes work and home is all I can handle too. Try to plan on doing stuff on weekends, then no energy and don't do anything. I went to our Fair on Sunday, and on Monday, didn't even get dressed. You are not alone.
  I have never posted on this site but as I was reading about all of you taking Lyrica, I had to share my story of Lyrica with you.  I have had fibro for 8 years and about two years ago was put on Lyrica.  My Dr. started me on small doses and gave the counsel that this drug is great you can't overdose on it.  My symptoms were so severe that I was eventually taking 1200 mg. a day prescribed by my Dr.  Within 6 months I had gained 31 pounds and was most days like a walking zombie.  I tried 3X to wean off it and the W/D was so bad my husband told me later he thought I was going to die.  Finally the day after Christmas last year, I was looking at our family pics and truly did not know the woman I was looking at.  I decided right then to dump them down the toilet and be done with them.  It was HELL to say the very least.  With it being a nerve drug it felt like every nerve in my body was trying to crawl out of me.  It is truly only by the Grace of God and the help of my family that I survived it.  It was 3 months before I had no symptoms at all.  This drug might seem like a Godsend and I know it did to me but please, please be careful and be informed.  I would love to talk to anyone that needs to about this.  I know the pain of Fibro is so incredibly hard but I did find something that at least for me was worse and that was this drug.  
Thanks for sharing.  It's that kind of experience that's hard to find out from doctors and impossible from the drug company, along with the good experiences that's so useful to know about.  Sounds like there's a rebound factor that's not advertised for it yet, and they haven't narrowed down what subgroup is at risk for it.  Congrats on getting off it!
I read your comments about lyrica and I am glad I did. I have an appointment with my doctor in a little while and in addition to the fibor and CFS symptoms I  have allergies and asthma, just to mention a couple. It sounds like maybe your doctor gave you too high of a dose but anyway I think I will start checking in on this forum when I feel like it and see what is helping or hurting someone with the use of lyrica. I am a person that has a very high sensitivity to medicataion and a lot of allergies related to pain medicine, there is almost none that I can take. I take 600mg. of neurontin at bedtime and have taken it during the day but couldn't tell any diference in the pain and the brain fog was a lost more. I will wait before I say anything to my doctor.
There seems to be conflicting  views on this drug. How long as it been out?? I thought it was jsut recently approved by the FDA. I just joined her yeterday and maybe I am looking in the wqrong place but I don't see any replies to my commants.
I've had fibromyalgia/CFS for 22 years. The first 8 I was in constant pain and took virtually nothing. To make a long story short I got married 4 years ago and my wife knew I was taking trazadone, clonezepam and Zoloft.

Now I'm been given an ultimatum: get off the drugs or we're getting divorced. My quality of life has been pretty good. But the side affects of Zoloft and Trazedone hurt me sexually. The Clonezepam is the biggest issue and I know I can wean myself off this. However, it is quite shocking to have someone say get off all medication or we're getting divorced.

I'm seeing a Dr. tomorrow to discuss what is in my best interests. If I get off all medication and revert to being in constant pain, etc. then it's not worth it. It's all very sad to me. As is always the case a person who is in perfect health can't see that this is all very real.

Why can't I find someone who can just accept me for who I am?????
That's very sad - for her.  Hang in there.  There are people who find and get into healthy relationships.  Even if you can get off the drugs, you/she still need to talk with a good counselor or pastor.  Maybe with conversation she can come to understand what's she's contributing to her demand (a trigger from her past, or a way of being)?  If not, then it sounds like you will always hit limits with her.  If not the illness, then something else, especially as you both grow older.  In other words she could be talking about her needs (sexual) vs. your's (a life) and looking for solutions together.  I've judging in the dark here, so I might be way off.  But I'm trying to say that I do understand what you're expressing.  So, good luck at the doc tomorrow, and at unraveling this.  

(FYI, I've had some very poor experience with counselors and some good.  I learned the hard way, it's important to move on if they don't seem right for you.)
Oo, what I wrote sounds very negative.  What I'm trying to say, is that if you bring some understanding to it, you might find there's more depth to explore and therefore maybe fix, beyond just a divorce decree.

Your post frightened me and has brought my attention to the seriousness of the drug it too pulled me out of a painfull exsistance into the land of the living but i too have had to up and up it and iv put on 1 stone in 3 months and im already a 1 stone over weight iv tried to reduce it too and had bad nerve pain so gone back on the dose you were on though was twice its legal limit why did your doctor do that to you? I went back to my doctor again cause lyrica is not helping through the flares and was up till 4 am with painfull muscle spasms and pain he gave me diazapan and quinine tablets to help, im on 375mg a day. Why does lyrica make you put on weight i know it increases your appetite and i have tried to resist this but does it really increase our weight or is it because we are less active and eat more why cant the doctors give us a appetitie surpressant to counter this.
God has got me through too in my illness how awfull it must have been for you coming off this, what are you on now and how are you coping?

God Bless
I'm new to the site.  does lyrica really put on weight or is it just a side effect?  this drug has been a God send for me!  it hasn't taken all the pain away but it has put a big dent in it.  i have fibro and herniated discs that are inoperable.   i'm also on topamax to keep the weight off, but i have put on a few pounds.   is it because of the lyrica?  i can't stop taking it!  my pain was unbearable!  i need tylenol for a hangnail!  

Im not dx yet so not sure what i have except alot of pain!! It only puts weight on through water rention though that is not often but it increase your appetite so your always hungry you crave to for sweet or carbs, i did not realise this in the begining but iv taken a check of it recently but iv still put on another seven pounds but i cant exercise as im in too much pain but i do do streatching exercises when i feel well!!

Iv asked the doctor to give me something to stop my weight gain but she said i would lose the weight when i come off the tablets but what if i never do ill be whale size by the time im done!!
If i had the money i would buy them myself.

Its a wonder drug though im on 375mg and keep uping it but it has fallen short recenlty and iv got diazapam to help with my muscle spasms and quinine tablets.

How long have you had fibro and when did you get dx?

What are your sx? i really just dont know what i have and flit between here and the MS site.
I had a MRI of brain and spine having a LP and EMG soon and another MRI and a ton of blood work.
Iv been off work 4 months now.

What type of doctor are you seeing? I suggest a rheumatologist. They are the ones who diagnose fibro and MS.

I take Lyrica and Cymbalta. My Lyrica was just increased to 150 twice a day and that has helped. I also have tylenol 3 for flare ups, but so far I haven't had one since the lyrica was upped.

Lyrica has done one thing for sure. I am no longer waking up with headaches any more. I still have the occasional migraine, which I have meds for, but the daily headaches are gone. YEA!!!!!
Oops, sorry, the last post was for you. I'm still learning this site
I did reply but my reply must of gone to cybar space lol

Im seeing a neuro have been since may this year. Today i have been trying to get back to see a rheumotologist which i saw two years ago for pain in my knees and hands without having to be refered form my GP but its it hard going just getting hold of her. Thats the NHS for you.

Are you DX yet?

lyrica is a wonder drug but it still fails in the flares i dont think much works then.

God Bless
Yes, I got my diagnosis of fibromyalgia in January. The Lyrica is working great for me. It doesn't do anything for the flares, so I have Tylenol #3 for that. It takes the edge off so I can sleep. I also have sleeping pills if I need them.

I work nights, so I can't do the one thing all the doctors recommend for FM patients. Set a regular schedule. Not in the cards for me. Sometimes I am up for over 24 hours at a time. Unfortunately, working nights is the only option for me right now.

i miss work i so want to go back but i cant walk far at all or sit for long before i need a rest and i never know when my flare is coming i barley cope with my three young children and running the home i used to work 40 hours a week plus run the home its such a change for me.

I just cant work out what is wrong with me, i have my appointment now for the LP and EMG at London Hospital so maybe ill get some answers then.

Sleep is ment to be a key for fibro so i have read so maybe when you change your job your see a improvement in your health.

Take Care
I have fibro and cfs, and I really relate to your comment. I too have compared my periods of remission to the movie "Awakenings"! And it IS so devastating to have to return to the pain and the exhaustion, especially after being your old self for a while. I feel for you, and I wish there was something I could do for both of us! I had to give up custody of my kids because of this condition, and I am on disability. I want to encourage you to continue trying new things as they come along. I want to encourage you to not be hard on yourself. I know what it is like to be at the bottom, the depression and hopelessness. The pain can make you think thoughts that you would otherwise not think. I will say a prayer for you. Be strong.
Hi LLWB, I am new to this board, just got on today and found this forum and really am thankful.  As for your question on the Lyrica, it does make you sleepy and sometimes dizzy too.  I would recommend you ask your dr. if you can just take the one 75mg at night and skip the day one since you have just started.  I would not be able to stay awake if I were taking it during the day, especially if in the morning.  I wrote to someone else about relief for FMS under another topic on this forum and I will tell you what I told them has helped me with my FMS.  I have neuropathy also and my feet really hurt very badly!  The doctos say it is ALL the FMS, with the exception of the neuropathy in the feet too, and put me on the Lyrica.  But, I take an all natural supplement along with it called Vita Natural FMS formula and I started it ten years ago when I was first diagnosed.  I was in bed for a year until my husband at the time found the website and purchased it for me.  I only take half what they tell me, only two a day and it pretty much took away alot of my symptoms, especially being tired and feeling like a mack truck had run over me when I would fist awaken and try to get out of the bed!  It also got me up and kept me up and out of bed.  It is formulated by two MD's and you can look at it at VitaNatural.com.  Between that and the Lyrica I feel I've had great help in my sypmptoms being relieved. I was on major pain meds but since taking the Lyrica too along with my FMS formula it's pretty much under control.  That's not to say I don't have the need to take a narcotic sometimes but doctors don't like treating FMS w/narcotics so I limit them alot.  I do not want to get back where I was, being on really strong pain meds. Side effects started being worse than the FMS!  I think the only time I really have lots of achey (achy) uncomfortablness and pain is when the barometric pressure starts dropping, that's the worst for me personally and it wakes me from a dead sleep it's so intense.  Hope this helps in someway.  Take care, gentle hugs
I want to write one more post to everyone as I've just become a member today and am reading over all the writings from everyone.  Now it concerns me, taking the Lyrica as I have only been on it a couple months and just FORGOT to take it a few times and did not feel so "great" but NEVER connected it to the Lyrica, not taking it!!  I have already come off of some pretty strong narcotic meds and now I'm hearing that Lyrica could have/or has the same potential to cause severe w/d's?!  I think I am going to reconsider and talk to my prescribing dr. as I have an appt. this Friday.  Maybe not so good a drug choice afterall.  I can't take the w/d's from any more drugs prescribed!  It's an endless nightmare for me as I never took even a tylenol when I was younger and now at 50 I'm on ALL these drugs just in the past ten years!  I still stand by my other all natural supplement.  It won't work like a drug but it TRULY put me back into the land of the living ten years ago when I could not get out of bed.  If anyone is interested you can take a look into it at VitaNatural.com.  It is their FMS formula as they make about three others, maybe four, not certain at this point as I've not been to the site in a while.  But when I started it, just half the does daily, it helped me get out of bed everyday and from then on life was and is better.  As for the other person I read whose spouse did not understand and therefore has the divorce ultimatum out there, I too have experienced that as my husband DID leave me when I became ill and I already was visually impaired (legally blind) so I can sympathize.  I have come to learn in that situation that it was HIS loss, and my gain as I don't want anyone who does not want me!  He found someone 15 yrs his junior.  Hardest PILL I ever had to swallow and I've swallowed MANY prescribed in the past ten years.  But, now I can literally "rest in peace" when I need to and not worry all the time that he's going to leave, 'cause he's gone.  "But by the grace of God there go........."  God bless and take care all of you.  Gentle Hugs to everyone!
ive had fibro for ten years and most of the time took nothin ive just been prescribed lyreca but not sure if the meds or the pain will be worse i am very sensitive to meds ,has anyone tried a hgh supplement                       thanx heginoz
Careful with the Lyrica!  I took it for two months and thought it was the miracle I had searched 20 years for until I suddenly developed a feeling of numbness to everything and woke up one morning with such a strong feeling to commit suicide I could barely withstand it.  Immediately went off Lyrica and was okay.  Still felt terrible but cared about life again.
What rspdude says is true - it is a possible side effect but in most cases this doesn't happen.  I have been on it Lyrica for two months and am so happy at the results.  rspdude, how long had you been taking it and at what dose?
Lyrica just knocks me out , I sleep all day, feel drunk on lt.This is almost as pain as the pain, please help.
Let me begin, my husband and I were in a motorcycle accident and our Harley landed on my foot and I have 5 fractures in my foot, 3 of the fractures are on the top of my foot.  I have been wearing an air cast now for 9 weeks and hopefully when I go back in 4 weeks I will be healed.  But I also have tissue and nerve damage from the weight that landed on my foot, I have had a burning and tingling sensation for the first 6 weeks that was excruciating almost unbearable unless I was constantly taking Percodan.  So the Orthopedic Dr started me on 50mg 3xdaily for a week and then, 75mg x3daily for a week and now I am taking 1oomg 3 times a day.  I now have noticed the burning sensation is subsiding and the tingling is not as noticeable, have not taken any pain meds. now in over a week.  The only side effects I have noticed is a little remembering but I have learned at work to take notes so I don't forget things, doctor said it would pass when I stop taking meds.  Dry mouth in the mornings but the pain is SO much better!
Julie O
Lakeland, FL
I have fibromyalgia, and I have been taking two a day, and it really helps with my pain. I don't even feel my fibro pain anymore, except in cold weather, or extreme hot weather. It does make me hungry, and that is a problem with weight gain. But I am able to control my weight with Raspberry Ketone. It is a slow process, but it's working. I can't see myself without Lyrica.
I have been taking Lyrica for a few years and it works pretty well. I don't have insurance so it can get pretty costly. Just want to share a site with anyone who also is uninsured but needs to take Lyrica..or any other medicine for that matter. If you go to Medicationcoupons.com you can get a free discount drug card that can help save you money on Lyrica. They also have coupons for all types of medications (unfortunately there is not a lyrica coupon at this time). This site has saved me alot of money over the past 6 months.
Please remember that many of the drug companies offer prescription assistance to those who cannot afford their medications.  I receive my Lyrica for free directly from the company that manufactures it.  All that you need is to have your doctor fill out the appropriate forms, and to prove your need.  I am so thankful for that service.  I have had Thyroid problems for nearly 30 years, and Fibro for about 23.  Taking Cymbalta and Lyrica with a fairly mild muscle relaxer, and can mostly function.  Can't say all is rosy, but at least I can do most of what I need to do for my day.
My doctor told me I may have FM two years ago only to be told recently that it couldn't be only arthritis and I would have to have tests to be truly diagnosed. I have most of the symptoms of this wretched disease. I have been taking Lycria for that two years so now have decided to STOP, I have put on over a stone and this also causes me problems on the whole of my body.  I also been taking voltarol (now taken off the medical shelves), ibuprofen, solpadol to survive daily. I know I will suffer, but patients like yourself will prove right.