Fibromyalgia Community
Lyrica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Lyrica

Is anyone taking Lyrica for their Fibro and if so is it helping and what doseage are you taking? I am medicine sensitive so I was started last Sept. on 25mg and have just now made it up to 225mg.
Good morning;
   I tried Lyrica and the side effects were too much for me. Although there are a lot of people that can tolerate the Lyrica and they do say that it has helped a lot. I started Savella 3 days ago and so far I haven't had any side effects at all. So I really feel positive about it. Hang around for a while and someone who is taking Lyrica will leave a reply. Take care,

gentle hugs
Angel
I also took Lyrica for approx. 6 mos.  My dosage was 75mg. per day.  While it did help, I didn't care for the cognitive side-effects so I discontinued it.  

The dosage will be different depending upon what is being treated and how the drug interacts in your body.  For some a small dose is effective; others will work up to the higher amts. over time.  

I hope it is effective for you and you get some relief soon.
I believed all the pretty commercials about Lyrica, finally got my  dr to prescribe it, and I ended up 3 days and 2 nights in the hospital, after collapsing at work and going to the ER in an ambulance. Lyrica was not good for me. If you take it or are considering taking it, DO NOT IGNORE the slightest side effect.
Actually, Lyrica does help many people...but it only treats the symptoms, not the cause.  

It can have some serious side-effects, esp. in someone who is hypersensitive to the chemicals or suffers from multiple chemical sensitivities (as most with FMS/CFS do).  I had tried the Effexor, which is like Lyrica, and had behavioral changes and seizure like activity at bedtime.  I didn't take another dose.  

bthnn - sorry to hear you had such a strong reaction to the Lyrica.  Do you recall the dosage amount you were taking?  Hope you are feeling better now.
I've been on Lyrica for about two years now, treated for chronic nerve pain. I had been up to 4 Vicodin a day because of the pain,and with the lyrica as a side RX my pain med dosage went down. My pain decreased. I was taking 50mg,  I was feeling so good I stopped taking the Lyrica, but my pain was too much, had to go back on it. The side effects I have were sleepiness and weight gain. So I take it before bedtime, and I work out as much as possible, this also helps with depression I might get due to having a chronic pain disease. Hope this helps, if you go to the Lyrica website, you can read all about others who have taken it, positive and negative results.
I was diagnosed w/fibro in 2009.  I also have chronic pain syndrome!  I also experience severe back spasms, sometimes so bad that I can't even sit, lay and I have to walk the floor in severe agonizing pain!   I tried just about every drug to try and help the pain!  Physical therapy, water therapy and massage w/tens unit. I was taking up to 5/10mg Oxycodone daily and still in massive pain!  When Lyrica was advertised I asked the specialist to try it.  They started me with 2 pills a day (don't remember the mgs.) and the drowsiness was really bad so I only took 1 at bedtime!! For 2 weeks then increased it to 2!  Slow is better!! I now take 75mg 2/day, am/pm, I also wear a Butrans patch 20mg (chg every 7 days) and take Oxycodone 10mg up to 3x day! I take Cymbalta 100mg and Welbutrin 100mg for depression!!  I went off my meds for 3 mos. and added 1 at a time to make sure all were necessary.  Lyrica was the last because of the weight gain and swelling.  But the nerve pain and hypersensitivity was too much to bare!  So I went back on it and trying to lose the weight!!  I hope this information has helped!!