Fibromyalgia Community
Magnesium - Citrate or Oxide
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Magnesium - Citrate or Oxide

Hi! I've read repeatedly that magnesium can help fibro. Does anyone know if it's citrate or oxide? I have both and don't know which to take!

Thanks! :)
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Magnesium with malic acid.  Mine is an excellent quality from a chiropracter.  Here is what is in it.  He told me not to take the mag oxide as it is not absorbed very well.

Magnesium(from amino acid chelate,malate, citrate)     400mg
Malic acid  30mg
Blank
216278_tn?1308864682
Thank you! I'll go get it!
Blank

If possible, I would recommend purchasing your magnesium (and any other vitamins) in powered or liquid form. It is much easier to absorb and so you get more for your money.
Blank
216278_tn?1308864682
Thanks for the advice - I think that I had heard that, but didn't realize that they all came in powder or liquid!  Now, I'll know to ask!

Is there a place that you think is the best to get vitamins, etc.? Up to now, I usually go to Whole Foods.
Blank
681148_tn?1285160820
A good place to get affordable vitamins, although not all the ones you need is swansonvitamins.com.  A good friend of mine told me about this site and now I recommend it to others.  It is where I get many of my supplements.  They don't have everything I need or in all the doses that I need, but they have enough to where it's worth paying the shipping costs when I order several items at once.  I know that they have many in powdered and liquid forms, although not all of them.  Still, many of the items are half the price or less than what the quality discount vitamin store sells theirs for.  I have had good results with the supplements that I do take from that place.  They must be doing something if my blood tests show improvements.
Blank
I get them from my B.I.L who is a chiropracter or from vitacost.com.
Blank
To answer the initial question, I remember reading some time ago that Magnesium Oxide is the *least* bioavailable of all the possibilities, but also the cheapest to make, which is why it's so often used.  I seem to remember the others being about the same, give or take, so Magnesium Citrate is probably as good as anything else and better than the Oxide.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Fibromyalgia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank