Fibromyalgia Community
Migraines with Fibro

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Migraines with Fibro

I was diagnosed with fibro/CFS - oh let's see - about 12 years ago I think.  My doctors and I feel that I had had it for a few years before that, too, but of course, back then (even the 12 years ago when I was diagnosed), it wasn't as widely known about as it is now.

Anyway, I know that headaches can and do go along with fibro, but I'm wondering if Migraines go along with it?  I had never been someone who suffered with migraines very often (I would get them once in a great while, but not often at all) - however, here in the past few months, it seems like I'm getting bad migraines at least once a week.  These are definitely migraine headaches - the nausea, some vomiting, pounding pain mostly on one side of the head, sensitivity to light and sound - so I know they are not just the "normal" fibro headache.  I've also been having quite a bit of trouble with my fibro the past few months and that's why I'm wondering if they are related.

About the only thing I can do when I get a migraine, other than taking my normal pain meds, is go into my bedroom, close all the blinds/drapes, turn out the lights, and lay down in the dark, quiet room.  Sometimes I will use an ice pack on the back of my neck for a while, which sometimes helps.  But they are miserable - they can and do definitely stop me in my tracks and I'm worthless until they have started to go away.  And unfortunately, they tend to last a good long time - sometimes the entire day.

How many of you also suffer from migraines with your fibro/CFS?  Have you noticed a change in the severity or frequence of them either recently or since your diagnosis?

I've not been to my doc about them yet, as so far (fortunately) I've been able to deal with them the way that I've described, but if they keep continuing, I'll definitely talk to her about them.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas that they use when they get a migraine to a) lessen the severity and b) reduce the duration?

Any and all suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

--Robyn
People can have migraines and fibro for different reasons.  I know a connection to both can be a magnesium deficiency or celiac disease.  You can type those into the computer and do some reading.  Maybe try a gluten free diet and see if it helps with both (the gluten free diet is for the celiac disease).  Celiac disease causes inability to absorb alot of nutrients in the intestines, and can cause many symptoms.  Magnesium is one of them.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.
Thank you meniere - I've already tried a gluten free diet and it made no difference and I also take a daily magnesium supplement.

If you have any other ideas, i'd be happy to hear them.  Thanks!
Yep.  I have all the above problems at the same time.
hi i also have fibromyalgia and headaches everyday of my life and migrains like 3 days a week but i also have sleep apnea so im not sure if the migrains are from 1 or the other or maybe both all other test docs have done for migrains was all normal