Fibromyalgia Community
Migraines
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Migraines

Hello. I have SEVERE migraines at least 3 times a week, and headaches daily.  Does anyone know of a good medication that will work for Migraines besides Topomax (topamax)? I cannot take it, as there are side effects that are dangerous to me.

Tammy
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I have used trileptal. It is also a antiseizure med, and worked better than the topomax (topamax).  The issue for me was that even at the absolute lowest effective dosage it was too sedating.
Blank
4980051_tn?1361872378
Thank you, for telling me about trileptal. I will tell my doctor about it.
Blank
My doc just gave me imitrex. I havent had to take it yet, but she said the only really weird side effect she knew about was that you can either get really hot or really cold. //Malin
Blank
Depending on the kind of migraines you get, you need to investigate the medications.  The ones I have dealt with my doctor confirmed are both migraines and cluster headaches.  She gave me Amitriptyline, to take one every night.  It is actually an antidepressant, but taken in low dosage, also treats severe headaches and assists with good sleeping.  Mine is a 25 mg.  I also take Singulair, which is for Allergies, but my doctor told me that allergies can bring on very bad headaches as well.  I noticed that when I began both these medicines, my headaches decreased drastically. Before I started them, I got bad headaches that caused me to vomit, faint, and stay in bed for three days at a time.  These happened twice or three times a month.  Now, after taking my medicines for a year, I still get headaches sometimes, but not nearly as bad.  I have not had a cluster headache since a year ago, and my migraines have decreased.  The last headache was a mild stress headache a month ago.
Blank
try depakote.  it worked on my same symptoms as topamax...
Blank
3191241_tn?1345035981
Tammy,

I have had severe headaches since i was about 13. I am now 25 and still suffer, up to about 2 months ago. I have heard the humidifiers help-- they add moisture to the air that it not there, possibly being that the air is too dry, which is the case in my house.

The humidifier took my heaches away almost totally!!! We put it on everynight before we sleep and it sits on my headboard above us. I reccomend this to ALL my friends!

Please try this before you try any type of medication for it! if you try it, message me in a few weeks and tell me how it goes!!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Fibromyalgia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...