Fibromyalgia Community
Miss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Miss

I have small fiber neuropathy. Is this any advice you can give me concerning treatment for it because it causes me a great deal of pain? It may be a result of monoclonal gammopathy.
Hi cherokeewomen.

According to a recent study titled :

"Diagnosis and Treatment of Pain in Small Fiber Neuropathy"

Excerpt:

Treatment of Pain in Small Fiber Neuropathy

"Treatment of any underlying causative etiology of a small fiber neuropathy is likely to be the most effective treatment of pain, when possible. Many cases of small fiber neuropathy will remain idiopathic*, or will still require treatment of pain."

*Nearly half of all subjects with idiopathic small fiber neuropathy have abnormal 2-hour glucose tolerance tests or abnormal fasting glucose levels".
Ref. PMC3086960

My opinion is, in light of the very limited evidence for specific medications in the treatment of pain from small fiber neuropathies, a natural anti-diabetic
protocol along with ruling out or treating hypothyroidism using a comprehensive holistic approach both in diagnosis and treatment, given that in hypothyroid conditions a great number of patients, suffer from hypothyroidism type 2 (thyroid resistance) where standard serum TSH, T3 and T4 tests, will likely indicate normal levels.
Free T3, Free T4 and Reverse T3 are the tests which accurately indicate
tissue thyroid function.
Hyperlipidemia, hypertension, and obesity ( part of the metabolic syndrome) constitute  risk factors in  developing a small fiber neuropathy,
which all seem to be commonly associated with hypothyroidism also!

It is well worthy of serious consideration,  bearing in mind that by potentially treating the aforementioned underlying cause(s), this approach goes beyond any suggested pain and symptom management protocols.

I'm afraid I could not establish any connection to monoclonal gammopathy
however, if you wish to share your views on this, it would be great!

I hope this helps, however, please note that my comments and suggestions do not constitute medical advice and are only intended  for educational purposes.

Best wishes.

Niko

There have been studies completed and articles written by Dr. Norman Latov of Cornell University concerning SFN and MGUS. Many of the Oncology docs are just receiving information refuting MGUS being asymptomatic.
HI cherokeewomen.

I will see if I can access any of his studies and/or articles online.

Thanks and Best Wishes.

Niko