Fibromyalgia Community
Movement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Movement

Hello All, I found this article.  Just wanted to pass this on.  I thought that it was pretty interesting.  Check out the full article on www.hffcf.org

Movement is essential to all of us because it allows the blood to move freely. In most individuals, movement is pleasurable; stretching feels wonderful and moderate exercise makes us feel stronger and free of pain. The person with fibromyalgia feels little of this.

Everyone encourages them to stretch, from the doctors to the physical therapists and chiropractors. Few tell them how tricky it can be to find the right stretching program because it is not their area of expertise. So they send them to a gym where someone puts a pair of weights in their hands and says "Your muscles are weak. You will feel better if you lift weights and you will get stronger over time." This works in theory only and is the worst thing you could do.

When the skin under the skin (fascia) is too tight and full of knots, it can't strengthen. It will just rip more, and hurt more. I always use the analogy of the clothes line. If your clothesline of muscles is ripped, old and shrunk, it may be able to handle a blouse, but it can't sustain the weight of a winter coat. Trainers who ask you to do this and don't provide you with an alternative have little experience with individuals with chronic pain.

STRETCHING:

Whatever you call it, stretching produces better, and more consistent results. Stretching once in a blue moon will not help, and overstretching is just as dangerous. Stretching is the key before, during, and after whether you strength train or attempt to do a program which incorporates endurance training. Most flexibility programs are designed specifically to work in a sport such as golf or basketball; or a discipline such as yoga or tai chi.

General stretching programs won't suit your needs. Instead, pick an instructor or personal trainer with experience in dealing with individuals who have chronic pain.

• body aches (2 replies):
    Well this question is not really for me but for my mothe...[more]