Fibromyalgia Community
Muscle biopsy anyone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Muscle biopsy anyone?

Has anyone ever had to have a muscle biopsy? Are they used to diagnose Fibro? Or another disease?
Thanks...Peggi
Muscle biopsy anyone?

No thank you. ; ^ )

A muscle biopsy can be done to determine if you have inflammation in your tissues, tissue death, muscle damage and loss of muscle mass.

I can tell you that in Phoenix, AZ... a hospital started the world's first "fibromyalgia tissue bank".  Apparently the researchers there will be collecting brain and spinal cord tissues in hopes of determining the cause of fibromyalgia.

I had mine a little over a year ago to rule out any other causes for my muscle pain. My biopsy came back normal: no inflammation, which supported the earlier Dx of Fibro.

There is no clear test for fibro - all they can do is rule out everything else they can think of that is causing your symptoms.

Good luck.
There is that spinal fluid (yikes) test that Red Labs USA is doing. However... it isn't FDA approved yet. Apparently it is diagnosing both fibro & CFS.

Perhaps after this test is FDA approved, then these judgmental people, including some physicians, who don't believe fibro or CFS is real... would wake up ?

I don't think it's possible to wake up the brain dead.

= )

You may be right. Perhaps the only way to wake these people up is if THEY were the ones who had a diagnosis of CFS or fibro ?
Thanks for welcoming me. I will be checking out your website later.  We need people who have the same diseases and have done research and are willing to share so they can help others.  It is very frustrating to know what you feel, the pain and the exhaustion, and have even loved ones tell you that you need to relax. Drs. tell you that everything is coming from stress.  I don't doubt that stress doesn't help but I don't believe that it is the cause of Fibromyalgia.  I have EBV, CMV, Fibromyalgia,  prior detached retinal operations which resulted in further eye problems and more prospective operations, as well as bladder and uterus prolapse, and the newest syndrome is tingling, pins & needles, numbness in toes, ankles, leg, and arm and fingers, (have been tested MRI, blood tests, everything normal except moderate Rheumatoid Arthritis.)  Otherwise, I am healthy, LOL. Seems like Drs. think its stress, emotions, etc.  like someone else said, if they themselves had it the Drs., they wouldn't say that. They would try to find the physical cause. I have just been given Neurontin, for pain and Xanax for better sleep and anxiety. Any info on above mentioned problems, medications would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi ! It's good to see you posting. I agree with you about many of these physicians. I guess my main concerns about physicians are :

a) they still aren't taught about CFS and/or fibromyalgia in medical school
b) the majority of them are just writing prescriptions, despite the fact that there are possible cures out there

and

c) there are still many physicians who will diagnose CFS patients, but not treat them. We are too complicated, take too long, require more paperwork, etc.

So as long as this continues, I'll keep my website up and try to keep up-to-date with the research, treatments, etc.
Have you been on Lyrica yet... It is fairly new and just for fibro, it helps me alot, also have a uncle with the same burning in legs, pins and needles and was diagnosed with nerve damage and he takes lyrica, seems to work for him too... might discuss this with your Dr...

Karen
The tingling,pins and needles and numbness is anther fibro thing,I was told by 2 chiros,a rhumy and doctor that all take fibro as a real condition.

I'm glad these physicians are starting to come around. The research on fibromyalgia and CFS is quite clear. These conditions are very real. I believe that pathogens are the cause and have seen people with CFS, fibromyalgia and other illnesses do well on treatments that address these pathogens. Unfortunately however, these treatments make you feel worse (which also means they are working) and depending on your diagnosis and how long you've been ill... may take years.
Thanks for your answer.  Neurologist just gave me Neurontin 100mg daily instead of Lyrica, I've been on it for 5 days, it is supposed to help fibromyalgia, nerve pain and tingling -doesn't seem to help much yet.  I am also taking Xanax 0.5mg at bedtime, it helps me sleep a full five hours without waking up, and when I do wake up for the day, I am not tired.  If Neurontin doesn't help, I'll ask Dr. for Lyrica, but I was concerned because I heard Lyrica makes you gain a lot of weight.  How long have you been on it, and have you had any side effects.  Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you taking any other medicines for difficulty with staying asleep, anxiety, depresssion, etc.
Thanks for the research you do and for sharing on your website for the benefit of others.
I took Lyrica for 2 weeks. ate everything I could get my hands on and that was when I could hold my eye opens and keep my chin off my chest.  But...I have an obessive nature where comfort items or concerns.  The hydro's take away my appeitite, I am 45 and weigh 120.  I used to hover around the 130 mark.  Maybe it will not have that effect on you but though he has never said it...I am supposed to be a trophy wife......and not to mention I love being thin.