Fibromyalgia Community
Muscles Stiff in the morning and achy throughout the day

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia many years ago and just recently (this week)I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. For a few years now I wake up with very stiff muscles and aches (widespread)throughout my body, I always feel like I have flu symptoms.By the end of everyday I feel as if my muscles are tearing away from my bones. I have tried everything from weight lifting to swimming to improve my muscle tone, but I don't really have the energy to exercise, and in some cases it only made me feel worse. Even walking is an effort for me. I see doctors regularly and am basically healthy. Besides the Fibro. and Sleep Apnea, I am slightly overweight, I have G.E.R.D, and have possible Hoshimoto Thyroidism. The only medication I take is Zantac and occassionally muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories. I see a nutritionist so my diet is pretty healthy. My husband and I even bought a new expensive mattress, thinking that was the problem. My question is what could be the cause of the aches I feel everyday? Is it just the Fibromyalgia, or just the Sleep Apnea? or Can it be a combination of both? Does anyone know what physically could be happening to my muscles and could they be getting damaged? Is there anything I can do to improve quality oof life?  I would feel great otherwise were it not for these aches. Thanks for your help!!
Yes to all of your questions, at least IMO. It could very well be the Fibromyalgia or sleep problems or both, There aren't very many FMS/CFS sufferers who don't have sleep problems, which makes things worse. CFS is also a very possible issue. Thyroid, Lyme disease and adrenal gland problems can also be causing the aches and pains. (Avoiding ALL artificial sweeteners, like Aspartame & Splenda, etc. helps.) One thing about FMS that I have learned over the years is you can have it in different areas or on different levels, it could just be a nuisance for some, while others it is unrelenting and debilitating. Your increase in symptoms could be the FMS becoming chronic or it could point to other possible illnesses. Many will suggest/prescribe exercise as a treatment for FMS, but I am confident for some, like myself, it has only makes things worse & at times is impossible. My advice in the muscle department is: do what you can, like walking, stretching, but all in moderation. It's all individual, and it takes time to figure out what works best for you. What works for some, doesn't work for others. all trial and error! You might want to look into the Marshall Protocol, its been discussed in detail on other posts in this forum and other forums here. I think its very well worth looking into! It is not just a treatment of symptoms, it is a curative therapy, its long term, its hard, but it has a very high success rate in treating autoimmune diseases!
fmnetnews.com is also a good site for info on FMS/CFS and gives lots of tips and suggestion from other sufferer's, but I suppose this forum will become a good spot to be, too. I know you said you eat well, that helps so much, I know that I have benefited from cutting wheat, yeast, gluten and all dairy from my diet. This is also a good link for checking your medications, and if they counteract with food and other med's:
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs/1,4109,,00.html
Well... that's my 2 cents, I'm sure there is more advice coming! Keep us posted, K!
In case you haven't already I'd be sure your doctor has checked you for autoimmune disorders such as Rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.  They can cause joint pain, particularly in the morning with stiffness.

I got tested for those in my search for an explanation for my "unexplained mystery joint pain" and was negative, but it bears getting checked.
Thanks Hityty and Avalongod your input is helpful and appreciated!  Spaqueen
Are you seeing an endocrinologist for your Hashi's?  I have Fibromyalgia and thyroid problems and know that when my TSH is not controlled with thyroid medication I feel horrible (cold, ache everywhere, no energy, etc.).  When the thyroid levels are out of alignment it makes my fibro go crazy.  If you have Hashi's you should be on a thyroid replacement therapy and should have your thyroid levels (and thyroid antibodies) monitored as Hashi's is an autoimmune disease (similar to lupus, etc.).
Spaqueen...please insist that the doctor discuss the possibility that the cause of your pain and stiffness may be related to Hoshimtos...I too gave Hashimotos and had excellent result as related to pain relief when put on Synthroid...pain returned but meds are still being adjusted.  Good luck!