Fibromyalgia Community
My Doctors are LOST!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

My Doctors are LOST!

We have been trying to get a diagnosis for three years now and honestly I feel I'm going crazy. My spine has a curve in it and my cervical spine is almost completely reversed. I have all the typical FM tender spots....but I have severe tight muscles in my back sometimes to the point where it hurts to breathe. The soreness is only topped by fatigue. I am always tired. Im on wellbutrin xl, cymbalta, xanax, flexeril, adderal xl and vitamin D suppliments. My ANA test came back positive but other blood tests were fine. The only thing my rheumatologist found out was that i have bilateral sacrilization in my lumbosacral joint. He sent me to get s nuclear body scan which showed I have arthritis starting in my big toe..... Im 27 I cant even do half of what I coulf just three years ago. I dont know what Im looking for I guess someone who knows what Im going through or suggest something that my doctors havent tried...

Thank you for your time.
My back muscles were extremely tight due to magnesium deficiency. This deficiency is a fibro mimic as it also raises substance P.  The warning on vitamin D supplements should be "this supplement may cause or worsen magnesium deficiency" since the body uses magnesium to convert inactive vitamin D to active vitamin D.  Magnesium is essential for ATP (energy). Chelated magnesium supplements are worth trying out. Check with your doctor first before supplementing if you have kidney problems.
They have done so many blood tests everything came back normal. It's not just my back though. My joints are hurting, popping, pinching, its hard to take a deep breath sometimes.
Hi!  I have been diagnosed with Lupus, Sjogren's, and Fibromyalgia.  Last I knew I was only intermittently positive on ANA.  Strong family history for all 3 diseases though.  My main symptoms are severe fatigue, moderate to severe muscle pain in my back with severe tightness/spasms, migraines (triggered by the muscle spasms), and severe itching.  The drs think the muscle pain is caused by inflammation from Lupus.  None of the Lupus drugs or Fibro. drugs seem to help it though.  I do have Scoliosis, but they don't think that is the problem.  I do not appear to have significant degenerative discs on MRI.  I am not 44, but I began having symptoms in my early 20's.  The back pain is WAY worse the past 3 yrs. though.  I came on here looking to see if anyone else was having this type of muscle pain.
I take Cymbalta, Vit. D (was deficient), Magnesium (hypoparathyroidism following thyroid cancer surgery), prednisone, and methotrexate injections for my symptoms.
Magnesium is needed to relax muscles and is important for hyaluronic acid synthesis which is used by the body to lubricate joints. Joint pain and popping joints are two of many possible symptoms of magnesium deficiency.

"Magnesium deficiency is often misdiagnosed because it does not show up in blood tests – only 1% of the body’s magnesium is stored in the blood."
I am just getting to the point where I feel crazy. All these tests with no diagnosis. My rheumatologist suggested I go to the big hospital near me for further testing. I can't take any glucosemine supplements because of my sulfa allergy. I don't really take the supplement for vitamin d honestly I kept forgetting it. So as much as I wish it was an easy fix..... I wasn't born with a curve in my spine. Its happened over time and the more time that goes by my symptoms became more severe and more symptoms pop up.
They did apparently rule out Lupus for me. Or so says my rheumatologist so I'm not sure if I can help but believe me I know lupus ***** so I'm so sorry for your pain. One of my coworkers has it and it started attacking her kidneys :(
I developed magnesium deficiency from insulin resistance but the list of causes are extensive from sugar to stress. Not to say you have this deficiency but you never know.
Thyroid dysfunction, adrenal fatigue, gluten intolerance, other food intolerance , candida, leaky gut syndrome, TISSUE mineral deficiencies and other deficiencies have to be ruled out!
Any one of these could be a causative a factor or co-factor in the manifestation of the conditions you are discussing here.
Unfortunately, there's not one conventional doctor who I have ever come across, who approaches these imbalances properly (mostly they are never explored!), as it is NOT within established medical protocols!

It is imperative that  you become knowledgeable in these areas of health,
should  you be suffering from a condition associated with the above.
Please do not rely on the results of standard tests, as they may be inadequate or misleading!!! And any meds, are likely helpful with temporary symptom management, but the long term results are questionable and the worse part is that they can't be linked to the prolonged intake of the drug itself,getting lost in the sea of variable unverifiable possibilities.
Another area of interest to explore are blocked emotions/trauma from the past and chronic stress, in particular hidden stress.

I hope this helps, however it is not intended as a substitute for medical advice.

Please post again or message me with your comments and/or questions
you may have.

Best wishes.
Niko