Fibromyalgia Community
Oral thrush or geographic tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Oral thrush or geographic tongue

Hello, since these two seem almost alike, what would be the most significant differences between them? I think I have geographic tongue but am not sure.
Many years ago it began, like whitish greyish not raised lesionin my tongue, that seemed to destroy papillae leaving a nude area, which over the days began to heal, normally you could see he papillae growing back.
Until this day I continue to have it, but it is not as often nor bad as it was in the beginning, at the beginning my tongue looked pretty awful, also when eating candies, that area never got colored, so it looked aple compared to the rest of the tongue.
Usuaaly these lesion grew in size or moved around in my tongue, appearing in different areas in different days, or grwoing back in the same area, they appeared first on the back of my tongue and thenjust moved to the rest of it, appearing in the tip, sides, dorsum of the tongue, changing appearance constantly till it becomes normal again. for many years now, it only developes on the side and frotnal part of my tongue, not in the back side.
Does this resemble a geographic tongue or oral thrush? Can oral thrush resolve on its won without medications?
My tongue sometimes looked terrible, and then some other days looked completely normal, please some insight
You are welcome.
From your observations, I get the same feeling that it is geo tongue.
In the absence of white lesions in other parts of the mouth, the absence of noticeable  pain and the fact that your taste has not changed, this indicates it is not oral thrush.
Have you tried supplementing with good quality zinc and B complex?
One more thing you can try is coconut oil, something that I consume daily,do oil pulling with it each morning for general and oral health and apply it to any areas where I might have an issue.
And it works well in most cases.It is antifungal, anti-viral, anti-parasitic
anti-microbial. For details go to the coconut research center website.
Extra virgin organic is the type that I use.
Take care.
Niko

Hey hypomess,

Without a physical examination it would be hard to establish with certainty,
however, geographical tongue,is an inflammation of the tongue
and  oral thrush is a fungal infection of the mouth.
Just do a search for "pictures of oral thrush" and "pictures for geographical
tongue" to see what resembles best your condition.

It is possible for either condition to resolve on its own, when the immune system is strong. Nutrition, diet , deficiencies, stress levels seem to be causative co-factors in both conditions.
An antifungal program including consumption of virgin coconut oil would be
the choice treatment option for oral thrush.
Geographical tongue is more challenging as there's no known cause,
but it has been associated with zinc and B vitamin deficiencies and gluten
intolerance including celiac's disease.
Hope this helps.

Perhaps you can get more answers at the dental and oral health forum.

Take care.
Niko
Thnak you very much, i have actually posted in the dental community as well but they have not replied yet. I have actually seen tons of images from both of them , that is why I think they resemble each other quite a lot, that can be hard to tell them apart.
Although, I guess and almost certain mine is geo tongue, due to the fact, that instead of being a rased plaque, it was at the same level of the tongue surface, and what it did was actually sort of erase papillae from my tongue, leaving a comlpetely naked patch, that looked different in the tongue. Then a coupl of days later you could see the paillae forming again, this has gone on for more than 10 years, the last years iot is pretty mild, it was actually pretty bad at the beginning, I was even embarrased in opening my mouth too much cause it looked disgusting. It began on the back of my tongue, but then disseminated to the rest of it, being most of the time, on the sides and front part of my tongue, seldomly on the back. According to images, ot resembless more geo tongue, also, my taste for food has never changed, and it has never hurt except some times when I had acid drinks or spicy food, or brushing my teeth, but this was not common.
What can you make of it?
You are welcome.
Take care.
Niko

So if you ounly get white lesion in the tongue, different areas at different days, and do not get white patches anywhere else, you can almost for certain that it si not thrush?
Almost is the key word!
Almost certain, as the observations are only indicative.
Cheers!
Niko