Fibromyalgia Community
Pain in chest and arms, shortness of breath, palpitations?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

I am only 14 years old and for the past 4 or 5 years I've been having chest pain.

When they first started they were barely noticeable but then they progressively got worse. At first they were sharp pains and could sometimes go down my arms like shooting pains.

Then they more or less disappeared for about a year. I don't think I noticed them at all over that period. And then recently, in the past few months, I've been having the pain again. It's more like an ache now in my chest which can go round to my back sometimes.

I also get the sharp pains down both my arms again.

Along with the pain I also notice a shortness of breath occasionally; I think this gets worse when I am lying down but I can't be sure. And I also sometimes get little flutters in my chest, like palpitations. They can happen at any time; exercising, just watching TV etc. I have noticed I seem to get them when I take a deep breath, although I'm not sure if that's just a coincidence.

I went to the Doctor about a month ago. They checked my pulse, blood oxygen, blood pressure, BMI, and general health and said everything checked out fine. No abnormalities were discovered so they didn't order anything more.

They said it could be something called Costochindritis but I'm not sure if all my symptoms fit it.

Can someone help me here? Does this sound like Costochondritis because I'm kind of worried.

I'm going back to the Doctor in about a week to have a check-up; is there anything specific I should ask him?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Since your physician ruled out the major items that could cause these symptoms, it probably is costochondritis (esp. since it seemed to stop and then return).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/ds00626/dsection=symptoms

The palpitations may be anxiety or stress related because of the pain.  It does take a period of time for this symptom to clear.  I had an incident long ago with it and I believe it took months before it ceased.

Hope you feel better soon.
i have very bad Costochindritis as well along with all the other symptoms u have. They say i have Fibromyalgia which causes this,have u ever looked into symptoms of this? seems awful young to have these kind of problems but i dont really know,im 47 and it freaks me out when i have the chest pains and shortness of breath.

http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/124/Fibromyalgia

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia_chest_symptoms.html

I've been suffering with these exact symptoms for two years now. And even though I'm female and still in my 30s  it still freaked me out. I thought I was having a heart attack when it first happened.

To make a long story short I had my series of fruitless ER visits, so I began researching it on my own. And that's how I discovered MedHelp, and from here, and from a few other internet sites I managed to collect enough information on costochondritis, fibromyalgia, and a condition called CFS or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to convince my regular physician to look into it.

And I was diganosed with CFS, and fibro. And one of the co-morbids was costochondritis...