Painful, peeling skin on fingertips and heels
My symptoms intermitently over past 4 years are peeling skin on fingertips that is painful.  the skin first becomes thick and yellow then peels off a layer to fresh painful skin.  My finger nails are also thicker than they used to be.  My heels are also peeling and painful.  Have used antifungal on feet. Doesn't seem to help.  Take plenty of good fish oils and borageoil.  I also found out I have Hashimoto's, but am not on meds yet because thyroid levels ok.  Any ideas?
hello! i thought a dermatologist would be able to point to a thing or two pretty quickly with symptoms like that! anyway - yes - hashimotos and thyroid things - dry skin is a hypothyroid symptom. just go to the THYROID FORUM and ask there - someone there hopefully can explain better than i can, about the complete batch of thyroid tests that you need to find a dr to run. you can have test results that show normal, but
possibly because it's an incomplete set of tests. need TSH, T4, T3, and the more telling tests, FT4 and (FT3(?)) - and if dr is v thorough, reverse t3 i think...
good luck. thyroidisms are hell
Yes, I did have all of those tests even revers T3, all within range (even healthy range)
Will go to thyroid forum. thanks for your input.
You MUST have TPO antibodies tested; this is how Hashimoto's is diagnosed...you thyroid antibody levels (antibodies are fighting and destroying your thyroid hormones) tell what is going on on a deeper level regarding why your levels are hypothyroid...TSH may be "normal" but if your antibodies are out of control there is more to pay attention to. I would definitely find a specialist, but many of us thyroid sufferers are convening on the web for support. Look up Magdalena Wzelaki, she is a self-studied thyroid expert and I have learned a lot from her. Don't give up! I am having the painful peeling too, even my brown skin color sometimes peels off to pink! It's embarrassing and I don't offer that hand when I greet someone.