Fibromyalgia Community
Question about gabapentin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Question about gabapentin

Today my dr gave me gabapentin. She's thinking it will help the pain. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this medication? Does it actually work for pain? I just want relief for the daily pains. Any suggestions would be great!
My doctor put me on gabapentin last May, after I had been suffering severe fibro pain for nearly a year under another doctor, and within 2 weeks, I was feeling like a new person! This medicine saved my life, as far as I'm concerned, because I was effectively disabled by the fibro. I tolerated the medicine well, if there were side effects I hardly noticed. It has also seemed like the longer I've taken it, I continue to slowly get better. I do see now that I was suffering with multiple types of pain, because I still suffer pain, but it's a much more "normal" type pain - for lack of a better way of saying it, ha! I can sleep now, I think more clearly, I can do things! I don't think I'll ever be the person I was before the fibro came into my life, but I'm so much better after the gabapentin. It is my one medicine I really trust!
Hello, I take gabapentin 3 times daily. Honestly I am not sure how much it helps me. At first I started out at 1 tab in AM and PM. Now I am up to 1 in AM 1 at noon and 2 at night. If I miss a dose at night I can really feel it. I do not sleep well, and I get nerve pain/jitters (I get the restless leg syndrome but it is in my buttocks too and I am up off and on all night) Anyhow, I do think it defintely helps me with sleeping...huge difference. Beware, I had a lot of side effects in the beginning, give it a good couple of weeks and they subside. Ecspecially the foggy head/tiredness.  Sorry I can't be more help. I say give it a try, hopefully it helps!!
Gabapentin is mainly prescribed for nerve pain.  Fibromyalgia is known to cause nerve pain.  I'm taking it just now for post Shingles nerve pain.  I am taking a very low dose, so I'm not concerned for myself.  But, the high doses are the ones to worry about.  Tapering both up and down is necessary with the higher doses.  My PCP told me that is in the range above 3,000 mg.

Even at the very low doses, Gabapentin (Neurontin is the brand name) can cause drowsiness, which I'm noticing as a side effect.  This is listed as a known common side effect.  Of course, I am also a light weight when it comes to pharmaceuticals and have the added bonus of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), so less is more with me and pharmaceuticals.  Still, just the same, drowsiness is a common known side effect that you need to be aware of.
I started taking it yesterday. With the first pill I felt like I was a little drunk. That's the only way I could describe it. I also take 3 more meds for my night time pain/restless leg/insomnia. Night time is the best right now. I just don't know much about fibro. I feel kinda lost actually. Thank you so much for replying. :)
I took Lyrica for Fibro nerve pain and found it made me loopy like I was drunk and I could not tolerate it so I stopped.  A couple years later my doctor gave me gabapentin for the same thing as I wanted to try it again.  It takes a couple weeks to supposedly start working and I took it for 3 months and found it didn't help me whatsoever which was frustrating.  For me gabapentin does absolutely nothing.
Neurontin/Gabapentin has been a miracle drug for me. It helped not only the Fibro pain, but my nerve pain I have due to inflammation compressing nerves. I have an inflammatory arthritis disease, Ankylosing Spondylitis. My ulnar nerve, sciatic, & a nerve in my neck & shoulder were bad, very painful. My dr had me work my way up VERY slowly. I basically added 100mg a day until I got to my target dose of 1800mg. If I had side effects, I stayed at the same dose for 3 days to stabilize before adding another 100mg. I think I only had issues twice.
I was put on gabapentin about 2 yrs ago as an off label treatment for anxiety. My neurologist upped the dose when I developed neuropathy, and when I started having chronic migraines, they upped it some more. I just got diagnosed w fibro, after a lot of " process of elimination", very glad it isn't ms. Anyway, I take 4 800 mg pills a day. Honestly, they help the neuropathy pain a lot, but I seem to have a different kind of neuralgia, caused by fibro, that causes severe numbness& parasthesia & the neurontin doesn't help this at all. It also seems to have zero effect on my migraines, and the only reason it seems to help w the anxiety is it makes you feel drunk & disoriented. The only good thing I have to say about neurontin is it Really helps w the ants on your feet feeling of neuropathy.
you really have to watch for side effects i was taking lyrica and it started affecting my vision really bad , and all of those nerve drugs are the sister drug to lyrica so be careful if it makes your vision blurry stop taking it ..good luck

I just picked up a prescription for Gabapentin. I really am worried. I was using Norco for pain which helped sometimes in reducing pain but never relieving it.

I am now hopeful reading your post.  Wish me luck!
I hope it is as effective for you as it was for me! And I do wish you much luck, whether it's with the gabapentin or another effective medicine! :)
I started Gabapentin. I was prescribed 300mg 3x a day every 8 hours.I didnot take the whole dosage I was afraid I am always concern when I start a new medication.I have chronic pain due to multiple conditions (3herniated dics,IC,IBS, but Fibromialgya is the worst! ) So I started with 200mg 2x a day and on the 2nd day I was able to move without feeling like I have weights on my arms and legsmy muscles dont feel tender to the touch anymore. it gave me energy enough to do daily activities like taking a shower, changing my babys diapers, cooking etc.  on my 3 day I was already doing this I could  not do before. I have Fibromialgya. I also take norco but even 5 norcos would only ease the pain a little but kept m eunable to perform like I wanted to.Gabapentin gave me my life back! I know it does not work the same for everybody and that we all react differently to different medications.I guess my best advice would be to try it and see if it works for you. Best wishes.
I have been on a low does of Gabapentin for mental illness for years.  But when the dosage was increased (majorly) then the pain from my fibro has been lifted.  I can handle water hitting me (before this was like needles all over to me).  I can move and walk for hours without pain and swelling.  This is my lifesaver.  Oh and sleep, wonderful welcomed sleep finally.  I am not in pain from just laying down as I was before.  This is my miracle.
I have Fibro & have been on Savella. Im in the 7th week of severe pain /fibro flare.  Today Dr put me on Gabapentin, About an hour after the 1st dose, I felt a little  odd, it has helped the pain, but my head feels disconnected to my body, feel lightheaded,a little nausea, spacey feeling,dry mouth.   I took one 300 mil pill,and on a plan to work up to 1800 mil a day slowly.   Are these side effects normal? Do they go away? Get stronger or stay the same?  I feel a little jittery as well.  Thank you so much for sharing.
Ive been on  gabapentin  since I was 16, im 28 now. Back then they didn't have many good mood stabilizers, so they gave it to me for bipolar, I have irritable bowl too so they thought it would help that maybe, but I took it mainly for bipolar. I now have sciatica and they believe I may have Fibro bc of the wide unexplained pain all over. It really is a great drug, yet now I am on a very high dose. I take 3 300mg pills in the am & 3 300mg at night (I can break it up during the day if I want) so 1800mgs all together. I also became addicted to a medication a doc gave me when I was 15 so they gave me that in the hospital and I was knocked out for pretty much 3 days straight. I never noticed any side effects bc I started off with the medicine, unaware of anything. Maybe a little tiredness & dry mouth but nothing major. I do know being on it for over 10 years I wouldn't want to stop taking it bc it does help some w my pain (again ive been on it very long so im sure it will work much better for you) & really helps my nervousness. So if you have any anxiety you will be amazed at how much better it makes you feel on that end. Where I get my meds from have changed what the pill looks like (im not 100% on this but its a side note) & I have noticed a side effect a lot of ppl have, including my mom, that it makes you feel kinda drunk & its very easy for you to fall asleep if you try to even sit to rest after taking it. But other than that give it a go! There usually a lot less side effects w this drug than lyrica & other fibro/pain meds, at least w me, also when you compare the strength you need to get any kind of relief. Hope I helped at least some..i just have a lot of experience with this drug bc out of everything ive been on, this is one they never had to take me off of & in 12 yrs only had to tweak the dose a handful of times. None of the side effects are worrisome either, like lyrica which caused me horrible depression.& to the person above..don't let the jerking go on to long w out telling your doc bc the tremors may not go away if they are severe right now..best wishes!
O was put on lyrica, but insurance wldnt cover it, so I'm on gabapentin. I've been raking it for two days now, and feel a lot better, but my pain remains. If my doc would give me a stronger pain med, I think my pain wld be completelyknocked out. Yet, my Dr pretty much laughed me out of her office, saying I shld get in touch w a shrink. She thought its my amxiety causing my pain. She also told me to quit my job and go on disability! I was so upset, I just balled my eyes out in front of her. I demanded the lyrica, since my pain levels are always at an 8-10. I hate when Drs don't see anything wrong w u physically, so by their terms, u are fine. I'm at my wits end. Any advice??
Oh no that's awful! You sound just like my mom. He made her feel awful & she is applying for disability, but she hasn't been able to work. I'd say twitch docs that's what I told her bc there are some good ones left. Mine is awesome & is trying all he can to get me outta pain, which has involved trying any good med, of course trial an error. Pain meds sometimes are needed at least need to be offered. He pretty much said the same to her, but then put her on a pain management plan, yet made her feel like a drug addict even tho she's been w him 22 yrs. If he doesn't care now, he won't later. Find someone who will fight as hard as you to get all the relief you can to enjoy life!
I was so sad about how your Dr. treated you. I really hope you found a new Dr. That respects you. Are you still on Gabapentin? If yes do you feel better?