Fibromyalgia Community
Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Question

I love to exercise, but most of the time I can't ,I just stretch. Because if I do workout, my arms get Very shakey (shaky). Like even if I scrub the floor if I do it for a while sometimes I can't even hold a cup because I shake so bad. Is that because of my fibromyalgia?

Kalie
Yes, but it's not a permanent thing. Your body is just under-conditioned. Your tendons are probably doing the work that your muscles should be doing. My guess though is that you are very flexible right? That's very common too in Fibromyalgia. It's best to begin slow with exercise programs. I like to start with a little bit of cardio first. I would start doing about 20-30 minutes of treadmill walking at about 2.5 to 3.5 miles per hour, 2-3 times per week for about three weeks and then add some strengthening exercises. My opinion is the best type of strengthening exercises for us is pilates. Many health clubs offer these classes and a lot of times you don't have to be a member- you can just pay for the classes separately.

Talk with your doctor of course or your physical therapist before beginning any exercise program.
Prior to exercising I do the same thing. I too have FM. I find that eating protein (string cheese for me or 1/2 turkey sandwich) stops this shaking. I also keep a "fiber one" granola bar in my purse because after my workout I feel very shaky.  So it could be that your muscles need fuel and there is too much lactic acid build up.  
Also if you are not taking your water bottle water with you during your work out and drinking 32 ounces prior to your work out you will find that works.
My work out is in the pool. I bring my water bottle there and also when I sit in the sauna.  One of the trainers told me he recommends that to everyone but especially his fibromyalgia clients.  
Fibromyalgia does create so many of these symptoms, our goal should be building up our body to try and combat these symptoms as best we can.
Another thing I do is B12 shots monthly and Iodine supplements. It's been an amazing change and I can feel the difference in my body.  
I hope this helps.
If you are like meI and  have serious FMS....I started srechting 5 minutes at a time...no cardio work out, or anything exausting...then....I increased to 10.

Now, even though still suffering loads of pain daily, at least my muscle are toned and stretching reduces my pain somewhat. ;o))!

Good luck.

I too cannot to serious exercise.  However I got my daughter a kids yoga video.  Kids Yoga videos break the workout into 10 minute segmates.  I can do it.  I am up to 30 min a day broke down into 3 sections.  It makes a big difference.

Hope this helps
I guess my brain doesn't work too well at times. I am always flashing back to times when even I felt better. I am sorry if I wasn't thinking. Pilates and cardio is difficult if you don't have the energy to begin. I admit I am too sick to exercise myself and my muscles are wasting away too. I agree with Concerned621- when you are at this point the best exercise really is swimming- it's low impact and easy on the body, but if you can find the energy Pilates really does wonders. I myself haven't been able to sign up for a class for over 4 years due to my illness, but I've been to the pool within the last year. Walking is good if you can too- even a little walk around the block with the dog. I try when I can. Every little bit helps.
-Dusty
Dusty brought up a great point. I use to have private pilates, yoga classes and I had to stop everything. For years I would say I couldn't exercise. I even stopped massage therapy. It was all stressing my muscles and I would get one flare up after another.  Seven months ago and 205 pounds after 5 surgeries on my back/neck I had enough. I though I'm exercising if it kills me. I had to take that weight off. I started on the bike at the gym. It started low back pain, my low back is fused. Then a FM flare up. So I thought let me get in the pool. I started very slow. I don't swim just use pilates, yoga, and years of physical therapy to develop a routine in the water.  It's a amazing and for all the FM people I can't say enough about it. There are women there in their 70's and 80's who can hardly walk out of the pool but in the pool they can do more than me at 48.  It feels so good to be in that water. Don't over do it, you feel so much better in the water you  might do too much at first.  Not moving is part of our problem. And I NEVER agreed with that when a doctor would say that to me. I would think "yea you try to move when you feel like this."  But it has helped me so much.  I've lost 25 pounds doing it and I can't tell you how much that has helped me.  I still have pain but I feel more energy, my body isn't as tight and I can move a little more easily.  
I wish you all the very best.