Fibromyalgia Community
Recevied my Fibro Dx...scared!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Recevied my Fibro Dx...scared!

I have been dealing with low back/SI jt pain for a few years now. I have protrusions in L5S1,T6&7. Starting in Jan I started to get terrible achy/burning/sharp pain in my hands and wrists. Went to Rheum..she didn't do much but found Vit D was low so started me on that. Pain increased to both arms, neck, hands and wrist (bilat). PM sent me for EMG, which was abnormal showed muscle irritability/inflamation. Went to another Rheum for follow up to EMG and she believes it is Fibro! :-(  She ran a bunch of tests just to make sure it isn't something else..but 99% sure it is fibro. She told me she would like me off the Narcotics (I take Norco only 2/12-3 tabs daily) because this is going to be lfelong and she doesn't want me to build a tolerance now or become addicted!. Yikes...I do not feel 2-3 tabs is a lot, I understand her reasoning but I can not deal with this pain it is starting to over take my life. I thought perhaps I had a myopathy but she said no because I do not have weakness. (I  feel I do) but she said if I am working 2 jobs (fulltime hrs) and take care of 2 little boys I do not have weakness. I push myself daily to complete these tasks, I used to be very active with my boys, but no longer can. Although when I am home relaxing I feel terrible and hurt, if I am working I do not feel as terrible.  My symtoms (symptoms) are achy, burning pain both hands to neck, occasionally tingle and numbness. I have low back pain/SI jts/pelvic and achy legs occasionally, my whole body hurts (except my stomach thank goodness!)  Difficulty sleeping, wake between 2-3am due to pain...so needless to say Exhausted. Anyhow I am on Cymbalta, Gabapentin, and Norco. She started me on Prilosec, Flexeril, and Celexa. Wants me to exercise!! lol! Any thoughts on this, or if these symptoms match all of yours? I am very scared of this lifelong dx and how I am going to deal with this, I am 34yrs. Thank you in advance for any help, I know this forum is great and you are all very reassuring.
Hi rtjrevie!
There are many things you can do.
Hang in there, I will forward you some useful information that has worked for most.
I'm at work now but I'll post again later.
Take care,
Nick
Hi again.

Please read my reply to the post " My First Day Here...SO Lost!"
It is very pertinent to your situation as well. I had you in mind as well
when I was responding to deb398.
Also have a look at the post titled "IWillDoThis" To help Alleviate Fibro Symptoms".

You pain levels can be lessened by maintaining an alkaline enviroment in your body (higher PH) by sticking to an alkaline diet. Any carbs, stress,
meats, junk foods, medications, will all contribute to a higher acidic chemistry, resulting in more acute pain signals. Just look up alkaline diets.
Post again or pm me for support and details. Anytime!
Blessings,
Niko

Thank you so much for the info! I am trying to read as much as I can and now is the time to start changing some things instead of dwelling on the "dreaded dx!" Lol. I come from a small town in WI and work in Healthcare, so many times I have heard doctors or (patients tell me their doctors said) that Fibro is not a true diagnosis, but just a dx that was given when they didn't know what was wrong??? I guess that is why this upset me so much to hear. Not so much that I don't believe it is real, but what others will think if they find out that is what is going on? I have worked with people before that had it and believe it is very real. Tell you what, the pain I am having is coming from somewhere!!!!! Anyhow, thank you so much for all the info, I will read more on it and try your suggestions, it is very much appreciated!
Tam