Fibromyalgia Community
Rolfing or myofascial release?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Rolfing or myofascial release?

I've just been diagnosed with myofascial pain syndrome. I'm curious if anyone out there has tried rolfing or myofascial release for this problem. Not to mention, if anyone else with MPS has suggestions for getting out of pain. My doctor recommended finding a pain clinic that could help prescribe a combination of physical therapy along with some drugs such as amatriptaline. I am already on cymbalta, which has helped a lot. Also, if you've had success with rolfing, maybe you could tell me how to find a good rolfer.

Like your sign on name so true as well!!

I'm not dx yet but i have been told by a neuro i might have fibro and am waiting for a rheumy to confirm it.

I have been going to an osteopath and she feels i have FMS and MPS and has been working on triggar points with manlipuation, i have been reading a book about MPS and FMS and it says physical thearpy and exercise and medication are the key to controling this.

I have never heard of rolfing but i'm sure somebody on here will.

Good Luck.

Sam
Hi, I haven't tried rolfing.  MF release has been very helfpul for me by a PT.  It helped my body feel "reconnected and back in it's skin", which made moving around easier and therefore getting more active easier - so it built on itself.  The PT had training in MF release but was covered by insurance.
Yes, both Myofascial Release and Rolfing can help with myofascial pain. If you have true myofascial pain, it is probably caused by restrictions in your fascia and MR and Rolfing will help.
A pain clinic is basically 'pain management' ...it helps you to manage your pain, but it that's all it does...it doesn't get to the root of the problem. Drugs do the same...they mask the pain, but it is not really a solution to the CAUSE of your pain. The 2 therapies you mentioned can help to address the core issue...fascial restriction. This link can help you find a Rolfer in your area.

http://www.rolf.org/find/locate.asp

Oh, myofascial Release and Rolfing are similar in the sense that they both deal with the fascia. Rolfing however, is more full body oriented. They will work your entire body in 10 sessions. Myofasical Release is more 'target area' oriented...meaning, that if your low back hurts, they'll work directly on your low back. If your problem is more widespread, I'd suggest to find a Rolfer.
Hope that helps.
So what are yall's systoms I have knots in my muscles on my thighs, calfs, hips neck shoulders lower back and butt which seems to make my muscle so tight it pulls on my knee I can't sleep my lower back hurts alot. will they every go away or with Myofascial Pain Syndrome are they always going to be there you just have to manage them. I do get acupucture and massages?
I have had releases done (quite a few years back with some success) The only thing is it is very temporary. I had a Cranio-Sacral Release done a couple times and it was absolutely great but again, it's effect is of limited duration. I would recommend that one because if it is done correctly, your entire body is relaxed, feeling almost like you had a good night's sleep. Stretching, moist heat, massage, and trying to identify any underlying causes for trigger points. I think PT (short term) is really helpful if you find the right therapist. You don't want someone that treats your MPS too aggressively or you can cause more problems and pain. Combination of say massage to address the trigger points prior to any exercise, possibly electric stim, moist heat, ice, and direction to gentle stretching exercises are useful in preparing for some low-impact exercise that can be continued at home.

It is hard for anyone to just begin exercise on their own. It is often painful and without direction and a lot of patience, we can end up feeling worse or just plain discouraged. I really do believe finding the right therapist is important--ask questions before signing on.
what is Cranio-Sacral Release? My doctor that I go to is a Acup. But it is like pulling teeth I have to tell her what I think is going on she is the one who told me to get the lympthaic massage along with using the suna. she say it really helps with FBM, She is the one who diagnosed me with Hashiamotos. I used a PT once he liked to have killed me and his only respones was don't worry I make grown men cry if that make you feel better, I just figured out your are the same person I'm talking to on
another post I also ask other question on it please look at it also. I need all the help I can get.

,
There are many different approaches to physical therapy. The very first place I was treated was one that treated sports injuries and was way too aggressive. You need to find one that understands both FMS/MPS and how to treat it. Asking questions before signing up is the best advice I can give. However, when breaking up trigger points, you may well feel pain depending upon the method. Some of the most painful treatments acutally worked very well even though they bring tears to your eyes.

You may be lucky to find a therapist (either massage or physical) that can do the Cranio-Sacral Release. First, you really need to concentrate on being totally relaxed. They gently work your entire spine from the neck on down to your tailbone while you are laying on your back. I had this done twice by a physical therapist who obviously was very well trained. By the way, check your profile, I left a message for you.