Fibromyalgia Community
Savella to treat Fibro shaking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Savella to treat Fibro shaking

I just saw a neurologist specialist because I thought that I had some neuro disease like Huntington's or some form of Dystonia.  They said that the shaking and muscle contractions were from intense fibro pain and chronic fatique and stress.  I have had fibro for 5 years - at first a few Darvocet took care of the pain - I am now up to a Fentanyl patch 75mcg plus 2 Hydrocodone per day, and 3 Klonopins per day.   Then about a year ago, I started shaking off and on, but about 6 months ago, the shaking and muscle contractions are constant.  The doctor suggested to start taking Savella, but I have not read about anyone taking Savella for this and that it helped the shakes and muscle twisting.  I have heard a lot of side effect stuff, and withdrawal side effects.  

Anyone out there that has taken Savella and had good results?
Hello and Welcome,
Unfortunately. I have not had an opportunity to try Savella as of yet, but I know others in the forum have, so I am hoping they will be able to answer you. I am not a doctor, so I can only speculate as to why the doctor suspects Savella will help you. I am guessing he thinks it will calm the dopamine receptors in your brain, but I could be wrong. I have heard some really good things about Savella though from MedHelp members of this forum. I hope you get some good feedback from them. Good luck.
I have been on savella for 3 months, I get good and bad from it. It does help with fibro pain, But do not like the side affects from it. About a month after starting savella I started getting jerking when lying down then found out savella and paxil don't mix droped my saratonin levels. Then about 3 weeks ago I started having rapit heart beats felt it pounding in my head back neck and chest,  So I am coming off the savella rather have pain than heart attac.
Hello yevette56,
I am not a doctor, but it sounds like perhaps you were suffering not from side effects from the Savella, but possibly from something called Serotonin Syndrome. This can be caused by mixing two anti-depressants together. It can create some of the symptoms you mentioned including the pounding in your heart and the jerking. I am posting a link below for you to copy paste into your browser to read more about Serotonin Syndrome.

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Serotonin+syndrome

I want to say this, so that we don't deter lora125 from giving Savella a fair chance. Thanks!
-Dusty