Fibromyalgia Community
Severe Inner ear pain.. A symptom of Fibro??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

I have had FMS since april 2009. I have this unexplained ear pain, that comes and goes. It feels like I have an ear infection, but I have went to the docotor a few times, and never have an infection. Sometimes the pain is so severe it feels like my ear drum is about to burst. It makes me very sensetive to noise. I am always yelling at my husband to not talk so loud because it hurts my ears so bad!! lol

I also can not stand to listen to the radio even at the lowest level in my car. The pain ranges from about a level 4 to a 10 ( where I just hold my head and scream and cry)

I do not have any sinus problems, but my rhuemy insisted it was sinus pressure.. so I took sudaphed ( sp?) never helped. Is this just another horrible symptom of FMS? I dont want to spend MORE money and waste more time, if nothing can be done to fix it.

Let me know if anyone else here has this problem. I also have crackling /popping sounds in my ear, like there are fluids in there. ( but when I have them checked they " look fine")

Thanks!!
You seem to have a very unique problem. I have never heard of ear pain being caused by Fibro. However, I have had ear pain for over six months and nothings helps. If you can you need to see a ear, nose and throat doctor. And don't let another Dr without the answers you need. I can't believe a Dr would just chalk it up to sinus pressure. That is irresponsable It also may be a hearing a hearing loss problem. If you haven't had it done you should go get your hearing tested. I hope this helps. Please let me know how are you doing.
I started having severe ear pain right before easter.  My pain was first accomponied by facial numbness and severe pain on my skin(typical fibro pain), then the numbness went away and I am left with excruciated ear pain.  Like you everything checked out  o.k.  So I saw my neurologist today and she said it was nerve pain caused by the fibro.  I looked like a deer in headlights.  I had never heard that before, I totally thought that she was just blowing be off, but since reading your blog and a few others I am starting to feel differently.  My doc started me on Neurontin today.  I hope it helps because otherwise I swear I am going to cut my ear off. (not really, just feel that way at times).  Good luck I hope this helps.  See a neurologist and i am thinking of doing some accupuncture.  
i started with an ear and sinus infection.. 2 week STRONG antibiotics (due to 2 bouts of bronchitis within 5 months of each other). Have the crcking, bubbling, popping sound in my left ear as well. Pressure, sensitivity, heaviness in the sinuses. went to ENT who scoped after a CT sacn (which is normal...) and no sign of infection! went to audiologist who found a 5 decible loss in the left ear over 3 tones and went for a MRI (to rule out benign auditory nerve tumor) and you guessed it! completely normal! still have the loss, pressure, heaviness, sensitivity, and noise in the ear and it is due to my fibro.... Thought he was nuts til I started thinking about it.. there are muscles everywhere in our bodies and it can attack any of them..... including ear and sinus. I'm not going to subject myself to tests and docs every time i get new symptoms anymore.....it's just the fibro and there is not a thing they can do for it!
I have fibro and when I went to my doctor thinking I had an ear infection. He informed me that I had lock jaw and tmj which caused my ear nerve pain. A heating pad helps me, I practically have it attached to my ears . I bought an extra long one so I can get both ears at once. An anti-inflammatory like naproxen can also help. Unfortunately I cannot take it and my neurontin doesn't help it.  Also try a night guard in your mouth when you sleep might be clamping down while asleep.
I recently started to take acupuncture for my fibromyalgia. one of the first thing she asked me was did my ears hurt.  now I know it is coming from the fibro, also I notice for me sugar really makes it worse.  hope this helps
I have all of the ear symptoms you have and now I finally have the reason. I was recently diagnoised with Fibromyalgia and this explains the constant crackling when I swallow, bubbling, popping sound in both ears as well as the high pitch ringing constantly. I have lost hearing over the years and could benefit from hearing aids and I am only 40. I don't know what to do either? Your not alone living with this horrible disease, I am too. Chin up :)
Hi waterfallgirl.

This is an old thread and I doubt many of these members are still following it.

Since I'm here, have you ever been tested for hypothyroid?
There's some things you mentioned that could be related to thyroid issues,
You may find some answers there, but I need to warn you.
The testing and the treatment of thyroid disorders is notoriously ineffective for most sufferers. If you want more details you may visit the
stopthethyroidmadness website, or send me a personal message.

Best wishes.
Niko
     Do you have amalgam fillings (silver) in your teeth?
They leak mercury into your body and mercury is a poison!!!
     I have had all but one filling "changed out" and my Fibromyalgia is much improved.  No, it's not gone completely, but I suffer much less than before.

Hope this helps someone
PS   I get these earaches also.  I don't believe they are caused by Fibromyalgia.   TMJ is caused by silver fillings.  And I have a post a dentist put in under a crown that is giving me fits!!  I know that is the cause of my ear pain - will have to have that molar pulled after it cost me
$800!
Hi I have had ear infection since jan. Got antibiotics finally in july. took pain off for a while. however now got bad pain back esp worse after i have laid on both ears. Do have fibro symptoms. top back hurt for years now sacro iliac joint pain/buttocks feel bruised. Tender spot top of head and shooting pains in it too. Occ sore throa. Could this all be fibro?
Nigela
Hi nigela.

It may relate to fibro indirectly.

Would you mind to re-post your question fresh in a new post her,
instead of "hijacking" this older thread?

And I'll respond later in more detail.

Have a nice day.

Love & Light
Niko
I have the same issue.  It hurts and causes a sore throat too.  My Dr is going to do lidocain injections tomorrow.  I pray this helps.  I can't take the pain and popping any longer.  3 years of this is enough.