Fibromyalgia Community
Severe Leg Pains

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Severe Leg Pains

I am a 30 year old male that has battled severe leg (both) pain for going on nine years now. All the doctors can seem to do is give me heavy narcotic drugs with a diagnoss of Fibromyalgia. However when reading about Fibromyalgia there are several focal points on your body that determine wether  that is what you have or not. My leg pain starts basically from about mid thigh down to my toes, however I also have extreme pain in my upper inner thighs and even my testicles. Best way to discribe that pain is either repeatedly getting kicked there or someone taking them and smashing them in a vise... My leg pains are felt on a hot day as a deep bone ache with the sensation of standing on hot asphalt all day. On a Cold day it feels as if I have been up to my waist in snow and someone is repeatedly hitting me with a crowbar. Without pain medication the pain will bring me to the ground, I would be found curled up in a ball. I have had EEG, MRI, and numerous X-Rays all of which have came back completly clear and okay. At the age of 15 as a High School freshman I played for the football team. During my duration on the team I took a face mask to my 12th vert. and fractured it leaving me in a hard back brace for 3 months and a soft brace for another 3 months. However even though the vert. was fracture the doctors seems to come to the conclusion that the leg pains do not stent from the back injury. I have seen several doctors Ortho, Rhum. Nuro, Pain Mang. none of which can do any better then handing me pain pills. Again I am only 30 with a 9 year old son and what I am living now is no quality of life for me and for my son to understand. Can some one please help me find some resolution or at least some direction...

Thank You
teesdad
I have a bulging disc in my back and 4 herniated discs in my neck.  The neck causes pain in my upper back, shoulders and arms.  The low back causes pain that shoots down my right leg, similar to what you described.  It is horrible.  I am also having trouble getting a doctor to take it seriously.  The last pain guy I went to admitted that the low back and leg pain was from the herniated disc, but he did nothing for me saying it's *mostly fibromyalgia.*

I don't know why doctors do this.  I might have fibro, but I KNOW that this thing with my back is not part of it.  I think the doctors just say fibro to get rid of you, honestly I do.  I'm trying to get an appointment with a surgeon and see what they say.  In my opinion, rheumatologists are the worst.  Unless you are all twisted and bent and your hands are swollen up, they say it's fibro.

In your case, does your back hurt?  The pain you talk about in the testicles and legs sounds similar to what my husband had.  He had kidney stones.  You might want to check with a urologist, just in case?  Back pain can also be a symptom of kidney stones.

The other thing is the leg pain (one doctor told me) might be nerve pain.  There is pressure on the nerve from the back.  I don't know why they are saying it's not.

I believe there is something else that can cause leg pain, something with the veins.  You can google it.  There's a special doctor, either a cardiologist or vascular doctor, I think, for this.

I feel for you.  I have so many problems and I often feel like I have to be Dr. House for myself.  These doctors are not interested in really figuring out why someone has pain and giving a correct diagnosis.  They just throw prescriptions at you.  

If you find out anything, let me know.

You don't mention feeling pain anywhere else on your body.  Typically those with FMS will experience pain moving about, so this leaves me questioning if FMS is what you really have.

If you look in our Health Pages you will see a section called "Newly Diagnosed" that will tell you about those conditions which should be ruled out, prior to a dx of FMS.  

Since you did have a previous back injury, it seems that the leg pain may be related to that.  Did you actually have surgery for the damage?  Scar tissue can cause problems afterwords.  Have the doctors done a nerve conduction study on your legs?  Some of the symptoms you are describing could be attributed to nerve injury.  Due to the involvement of your inner thighs and testicles, it really sounds as if something else may be taking place.  

Did you ever seek treatment at a pain clinic?  There are nerve blocks that can be done to ease the pain, if that is the cause.  I'm so sorry you are experiencing this.  I can imagine how difficult it is having a child and not being able to keep up with the simplest of things.  Don't give up...continue seeking the answers until you find someone who will find a treatment for you that works.  Have you been to rehab. or tried a chiropractor?  Also, accupuncture is helpful to some who have chronic pain.

I hope you feel better soon.  I think Cindee has given you some useful info. as well.  Please take care.
I have cronic (chronic) neuropthy in my feet and legs.  The pain I have differs from your.  My toes  are numb, but I have burnins sensations in my feet and legs and I feel as if I am standing on hot marbles.  I have improved the quality of my life by going to MATS specialists.  You can read about it on the internet.  It's not a cure but it helps.  Good luck.
have u ever been seen by an MS specialist?
just a thought as your symtoms (symptoms) sound similiar to MS as well as FM....please read the book by MONTEL WILLIAMS.....CLIMBING HIGHER
this book is just excellent for anyone with nerve pain not only MS people.
he talks of symtoms (symptoms), doctors, medications and self help....a very good read.