Fibromyalgia Community
Severe Muscle Cramps from Fibro?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Severe Muscle Cramps from Fibro?

I have had Fibromyalgia and CFS for 20 years.  Has anyone had any problems with SEVERE muscle cramps and is it from the Fibro?  Mine always hit the inside thigh muscle and are as bad as labor pains.  They actually build and release just like a contraction.  They are severe enough to make my cry and all I can do is try to stretch them out and put Biofreeze on them.  I can't take many more of these.  Any ideas what this might be coming from?
Try taking some magnesium taurate or magnesium citrate for the cramping and perhaps some potassium , too.  Magnesium phosphate 30C is a homeopathic remedy for cramping.

Eldermom

Magnesium is vital for any fibro or CFS patient.
Yep,
and yes to Magnesium, i take Magnesium Taurine by Biocare and have definately noticed the difference.

For muscle cramping, the thing that has had the fastest most dramatic results for me was the bowen technique, where your muscles are gently manipulated, the effect is long lasting and helps release muscle tension more than anything else i've tried (which is a lot!). Definitely worth trying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowen_Technique

Other than that, i have found that yoga does help muscle tension, but it took me a long time to get to properly relax into it.

Mx
I get muscle spasms in my back and chest.  They are horrible.  I felt one day like I was having a heart attack.  I put ice on as best I can, but I don't know what to do either.  I sympathize with you.
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia many, many years ago after a long bout with Lymes disease that was undiagnosed and untreated for 4 months. Finally I went to the right doctor for treatment but I find when I over do my daily activity level, I pay the price. We just got back from a 2 week Meditereanean cruise and once I got home, I noticed that my legs and toes were cramping horribly. I would get woken up by calf cramps and the toes on both feet would go into awful looking positions while they cramped. It could be from the extra exercise on the cruise and wearing of open toed shoes with little arch support as far as my feet and legs but I also am suffering from thumb and index finger cramps that are ugly and painful too. Any suggestions or ideas?
I too have severe muscle cramping and aching in my legs!! Lyrica has really helped this stop.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with it and hope you get some input on how to make it better.

I'm here for you anytime you need to vent, talk or ask questions.

Best wishes,
Jennifer

Magnesium is a vital supplement for fibromyalgia & CFS sufferers. I buy my magnesium in powered form and add a spoonful to my drinking water every single day. It can help with the cramping.

One thing I recommend for everyone here is reading Dr. Garth Nicholson's research on mycoplasma and fibromyalgia (or CFS). Dr. Nicholson is another physician who was ill and treated himself with antibiotics (just like the Roadback Foundation recommends and the same therapy I've been on).  Dr. Garth Nicholson has a very impressive resume... one of the most impressive I've ever read. He was a Nobel Prize nominee, but also was ill after his daughter returned home from the Gulf War with Gulf War Syndrome. He currently is the Chief Scientific Officer of the Institute for Molecular Medicine in Huntington Beach, California and as well, he is the Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston.

Did you travel by air when you returned from your trip ? If yes, this is common in fibro & CFS patients. Dr. Nicholson discusses this:

Dr. Nicolson

"Well, we think that one of the problems that many patients that have Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome have is that when they travel by air they relapse very heavily, that is their signs and symptoms become worse. This is commonly found and it's not just so much the stress of traveling, we think there's another element involved and that's that when they travel they fly under conditions of reduced oxygen pressure, so the partial pressure of oxygen is actually reduced in the cabin of the aircraft flying at 20 - 30,000 feet. This is especially apparent in people who fly in helicopters so we have a lot of pilots that have contacted us, particularly helicopter pilots that become very sick after flying. And in some cases the people get temporary relief by going on hyperbaric oxygen, that is oxygen under pressure that increases the partial pressure of oxygen. All of this is consistent with what happens with a mycoplasma infection. These infections are what's known as borderline anerobes. That is, the micro-organism prefers low oxygen tension, so if you over exert, for example, and you starve your tissues for oxygen, that will actually stimulate the growth of these micro-organisms, or if you fly in an aircraft for a long period of time, a long flight, that can stimulate these, and so the signs and symptoms can become worse after such an event."

source:

http://members.aol.com/rgm1/private/nicolson.htm
I used to have SEVERE muscle cramps.  I take one 400 I/U.'s os the cheap Sam's vitamin E in the morning and one at night and the cramps went away.  I don't know if that helps?
Jamy
HI YES I HAVE SEVERE MUSCLE CRAMPS FOR YEARS I ALSO HAVE FIBRO AND MANY OTHER MEDICALE PROBLEMS I ALSO TAKE VIT. E NOT DOING ANYTHING FOR ME. MY DR KEEPS TELLING TO WALK AND THAT WILL HELP WITH THE PAIN OK HOW CAN I DO THAT IF I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN AND HURT. HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT'S IT LIKE I GET SO PIST AT HIM BECAUSE HE ACTS LIKE IT'S NO BIG DEAL U KNOW.
I ahve also tried magnesium tablets i did get a small amount of relief, and eating bananas is a big help too,but i have bought a tens machine and the relief for the cramps or spasms has been wonderful.I have so much relief from using it but it is not a cure.For me this is better than any pill, lotion or potion.I borrowed a machine to try for a week,and so glad i did.
I forgot to add that i have had FMS for 10 years now and the cramps and spasms are definately a symptom of fibro, and i have it everywhere.I also go to a chiropractor for this and get some relief.I went into remisssion for 8 months and i made the most of it and even went overseas for a holiday.
I do also get horrible cramping in my chest and back,,the chest pains scare me the most I always feel like Im having a MI and then with that fear brings on the horrid anxiety that tightens the muscles worse.  So far the BEST med for the cramping that iVe been using for years is Soma,,its wonderful for cramping,,even pain.  

I was just reading that Baclofen™ is a cheap medication that works great... when it works. Sometimes it doesn't work... according to Dr. David Bell:

"It is best when the muscle pain is of a cramping or spasm quality, which is why it is used in multiple sclerosis. It is related to the benzodiazepines such as clonazepam or alprazolam and should be used cautiously with these. Some sedation is likely, and the dose should not exceed 10mgs three times daily."
Since I've gone off SSRI's I had bad cramps in my calves due to the sudden drop in my serotonin levels.
Is it dark chocolate that raises serotonin?  Bad suggestion for our waistlines but interesting and simple solution to see if it is serotonin.  

A simple blood test 5Ht Levels can test serotonin levels also.  I plan on having that tested this Wed.  My calves, and back under my should blades are cramping awful.
I agree about dr saying exercise when u can't. I have fibro (20+yrs), sciatica, restless legs, artharitis & PAD.  My toes cramp and bend out of shape, PAD hurts more when exercising & calves cramp so bad only relief is to jump up & down until eases up.  I have taken flexeril, ultram, ultracet, neurontin & lyrica. Lyrica helped pain a little but makes my feet, legs& hands swell.  Also makes me so tired I can barely put 1 foot in front of other.  Do u know of anything beside pain med like percocet. That is what they want to try now? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
For the last 3 months I have had severe feet and leg spasms and cramping. To the point of screaming. My feet and toes contract where I can't set them down on the floor  or against the wall to try to stretch the muscles to get them to release . Happening 3 and 4 times a night. Bloodwork shows no deficiencies. Started taking calcium, drinking more fluids including tonic water. Eating more potassium rich foods with out much relief. Not quite as severe, but still as frquent. Last night they woke me up 6 times. The Dr. called in a script for neurontin for me today. I would rather try magnesium or B12 first. Don't like the side effects of Neurontin.

My hands cramp and contracture when I use them a lot such as setting my hair in rollers I also notice a shrinking of the size of my lower legs above the ankles. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've had cramping and muscles spasms throught my life intermittently when I would over use them but never to this extent of every night and during the day. Any more suggestions

Rosemary75
I know this comes quite late into this thread but I am strongly relating to many commenters here. I've been having the severe toe spasms & cramps for quite a few years but never realized they could be related to my fibro! I usually am awakened from sleep by them and the only relief I knew was some convoluted form of accupressure - but it does make the pain pass.  First I have to grab the cramping toes first and try to hold them firmly in the most comfortable position I can get on them, then I place my thumb & forefinger on my lips in a vertical position keeping steady yet firm pressure until the pain releases enough for me to begin massaging the foot and working on standing upright.  Half the time the foot goes completely numb (fallen asleep) and tingles as the numb abates. Be careful I have found I don't have to sqeeze my lips to the point of pain . . hurt enough don't need to make more. I'm still amazed to find these symptoms could very well be related to my fibro, TY for the info. Got many other health problems to go along with this, but if someone can help me with something other than prescriptions and major dietary changes, I'm all for it.
mibunny55
Help! I was diagnose with Fibromyalgia. But I was also diagnose with a Vitamin D deficiency, and slight osteoarthritis in the back of my neck and the lower back (my spine). My physical therapist said that sometimes when the nerves pinch out from the lower part of my back it may cause my legs to hurt. And boy do they! Also, as disgusting as this may sound, I find some back relief when I lift my breasts up. I have extremely large breasts and a big stomach. I lift my stomach up and that takes pressure off my back and legs. My therapist also told me that I have poor abs with no back support. I have lumps on the side of my arms, pain elbows that gos numb and tingle. Symptoms of Carpel Tunnel because I type all day at work. My back somtimes feels like its buring. I guess I need help knowing do I truly have fibromyalgia or is this going on due to the lack of vitamin d and being overweigh. Honestly, I don't want to come to terms with having this illness but I also have other signs that can suggest fibromyalgia or other illnesses.
Hi hon
I have FM and Hashimotos Disease and vitamin D deficiency causing low calcium which definately causes all sorts.
I think you will feel a little better getting ur D levels up, it is a hard slog though. Visit the Vitamin D council website for advice and info, and ask the Drs for a thyroid function test (not just TSH and T4, ask for T3 as well because of your pain, T3 can help FM pain.

lotsa luv
Dawnx
I have had severe muscle cramping in my thighs for over 15 years. Starts behind to inner thigh near the knee and wraps around the front to the hip. Catches fire and puts me in tears. I also have muscle spasms in my stomach that for the past 5 years have gotten worse. I have to stretch my torso and breath slow (I also push on the muscle to go back in place). This happens while Im driving, sitting and just about anytime. My Drs question: Can you make it do it?
When the leg spasms happen I have to make sure I stand straight up and keep the legs straight, if I bend at all I will lock in a bent over position and the pain is even worse. I dont think Ive ever had a leg spasm without crying because the pain is so bad. I now have chest and top of foot spasms also. I refused to take Cymbalta as the Dr only wanted me to take it because of my depression. I dont know anyone that can go through chronic pain and not have depression also. I dream about being in pain. Very sad that because its not an easy find some Drs just treat you like your nuts. Its even better when they tell you its all in your head. God help us all.
I was diagnosed with FM last month, and THOUGHT I had it since april 2009 ( thats when my body just stopped working!!)  I have major cramping, especially of my toes , feet, and calves. Some times my whole entire leg will cramp and twist into and ugly shape, it looks crazy and is VERY painful. When it happeneds I scream and cry and my husbands carries me upstairs and puts me in a hot bath to relax the muscles.

I assumed this is from my FM, because it got real bad starting in april. However, I have had muscle cramps in my feet and calves ever since i can remember. When I was a little girl ( maybe 10?) they would get so bad in my calves and feet every night I coulnt sleep. It got so bad my dad took me to the doctor. The doctor brushed it off and told me it was growing pains, or I was drinking to much soda?? Daddy banned soda from the house (lol) and I only drank milk and water for years. it never really helped... I continued to get this cramps for the next 13 years ( im 23) Sometimes every night for a month, and then sometimes i wouldnt get them for about 2-3 months?

I am wondering could I really have some underlying condition since the cramping , and other fibro symptoms, like brain fog and FATIGUE , have been going on since I was a little girl. Or could I have had FMS since I was 10, and just never realized it until everything got REALLY bad this spring??  I remember being very sick when I was around 10. I was sick for an entire month and the doctors thought it was mono..but that all i remember. then when I was 16 I had the classic deer tick looking bite on my leg ( Lyme?) but never got ill. I have suffered with fatigure and brain fog for so long ( i thought the Brain Fog was ADD LOL)  

WHO KNOWS! I wish I had money to go to medical school so I could be come a doctor and figure this out for myself!!
I have bad muscle spasms too. I take Amitriptyline for mine, & I use heat treatment, freeze gel, and a mini tens machine.  When I got my first Amitriptyline they were so bad I was unable to sleep, I could hardly bend my legs, & I was walkng on my toes (this was during my honeymoon - nice don't you think?!). Although it took time to settle it has helped & as I mentioned above I have gradually got several other things that I know help. I used to eat bananas but because I have G.O.R.D they make it really bad so I avoid it now, so I only get Magnesium from other foods now & vitamin supplements when I can afford to buy them.
Yes!  I too have fibro, and SEVERE muscle spasms!  Mine are mostly in the chest and ribs (sometimes the abdomine, and has been in the calves, feet, toes as well).  The chest ones are VERY scarey!  The ones going down the ribs...HORRIBLE!  They actually take my breath away!  Leaving me curled up into a ball, screaming and crying!  I am taking Baclofen (mentioned by someone, earlier).  It does help, some what.  It takes a while, however to get relief.  Some times, the 1st does helps, some times not until the 4th, and of course some times...it doesn't help at all.  It is absolutely better than nothing...but is absolutely not a "for sure" thing!  It is relatively inexpensive (which is a plus) and the truth is...any relief is better than now, so I do recommend talking with your doctor about it!  Xanax helps a little also (mainly because it helps reduce your stress/anxiety level, when you are dealing with the spasm flare-ups).  I HATE taking pills, so it is hard for me to add more to my routine...but they do help me to function better (somedays, even half way "normal")!
I appreciate all these suggestions, because I can remember having cramps as far back as the second grade. Let me add two small lifestyle changes that have helped me. First, I learned to really pay attention to those warning twinges that come from repetitive motions. For instance, typing too long without taking breaks can cause cramping not only in my hands, but also in my wrists, arms, shoulders, and neck. Second, my doctor helped me discover that diet products sweetened with  "Aspartame" make me much more prone to cramping. Once I gave up diet colas and sugar-free gum, my symptoms improved greatly.
Yes, I do agree. This was a great discussion to bump up in the forum. Another thing to watch is your potassium levels. Sometimes they can get low. If you ever have routine CBC tests done by your doctor ask for a copy. Make sure you aren't on the low end of the potassium scale because sometimes not having enough potassium can cause cramps too. The best supplement really is a multi-vitamin, but with any supplement though, make sure you talk with your doctor before you begin taking anything new.
-Dusty
I agree with all of the dietary suggestions - diet and stretching are a good 95% of it. I did end up being prescribed quinine (very low dose) to handle the ones I couldn't get under control because my calves and feet were severely cramping.

I had terrible, charley horses in my calves,with my foot, and toes going into funny shapes, and splaying. After I started lyrica, they disappeared. The muscle spasms always woke me up from sleep.My rheumy recommended tonic water before going to bed, but I haven't tried that yet.
I had severe muscle spasms in my thighs that would wake me up at night.  I thought I was going to be paralyzed, as the pain made it difficult to walk.  Also, I was diagnosed with Sciatica, as I had burning pain down my legs.  This was all very frightening.  I decided to take action and bought several homeopathic remedies.  Currently, I'm taking Calcium with Magnesium and Zinc, Tart Cherry Supplements, Vitamin B Complex, and CoQ10.  I no longer have muscle spasms and the leg/hip pain seems to be subsiding.  I did not want to take prescription drugs on a long-term basis.  I'm not sure which supplement is working.  Perhaps, they are all working in conjuction with each other.  

I had X-rays taken of my back and hip.  They did not show any abnormality.  I had a vascular study of my right leg, which came back normal.  I do not know what caused my pain, but I'm so glad to be feeling better.  I urge everyone to try supplements..a natural approach to pain rather than to get hooked on pain meds.  
I got the cramps and the Lyrica plus the calcium, C0Q10, magnesium, selenium, fish oil, mutli-vitamins and vitamin D3 all help.  I will often start my day soaking in a warm tub and have found that if they hit that I get on my eliptical machine for just a couple of minutes and it really helps.  Lately I've neglected to take my calcium and I can feel them worsening.

For the rib and chest pain I did find a solution.  What happens is that the body is laying down fascial tissue.  I go to a massage therapist who does myofascial release and man does that help.  She has done and showed me how to do breast massage.  It is very gentle and helps clear the lymph system.  I do it in the shower and it relieves the pain in my chest and ribs.
Most of you likely have cellular resistance to your active thyroid hormone (T3) and/or or are producing reverse-T3. You would benefit greatly from sustained release T3 medication, even if your thyroid lab tests are "normal." For instance, check the book "The Metabolic Treatment of Fibromyalgia" by John C. Lowe. See thyroid articles at Holtorfmed.com. You can also check your RBC magnesium levels (not serum Mg) to get an idea about your magnesium status. You're probably low if you're not takinfg at least 800mg of a chelated form of Mg daily. Most physicians are totally ignorant about the HPA (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal) axis dysfunction in FM and CFS. Support with hydrocortisone is usually indicated, especially if you are going to start thyroid supplementation. GAF, San Antonio
I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for 10 years now.  I sometimes feel that it's only because the doctors can determine what is really going on.  This past week I have been abruptly woken up with severe leg cramps in my thighs, calfs, and toes.  My toes get all distorted and all I can do is scream in pain.  The cramps last for what seems an eternity (an hour+).  I usually take some heating creams and rub them all over and rub/stretch as much as I can.  But, sometimes I cannot even move because it hurts so much.  I have took some muscle relaxers last night and finally fell asleep.  Also, my toes always feel like they are going to snap off when I walk.  As if the bones are going to break.  I've told my Rhuematologist and he said it's Fibro.  So are my severe chest pains that go right up my right side of my neck to my jaw and my right arm.  Nothing with the left.
i have had leg cramps since childhood and now that im the big 60 with 30 years of diagnosed fibromyalgia and chromic fatigue syndrome, my leg cramps are definately worse with chest and neck spasms thrown in.  now when i yawn, my neck cramps up.  it's especially strange in public when im jerking my head to stop it.  whatever symptoms are on the fibro list, i have.  the legs cramps disappeared for a couple months and just when i wondered what made them go away, they came back with a vengence for no apparent reason accept that i was on my feet for 5 hours at work. this time they were behind my knees and sooo painful.  its always when i lie down at night and am ready to fall asleep.  was on cymbalta for a period and it was great, then diagnosed with glaucoma and had to quit.  terrible withdrawals.  now im leary of anything that is helpful bc. of future withdrawals.  it makes the aching very severe.  everyones comments are so helpful bc. i know im not alone with such disparate and disabling symptoms.
I've been diagnosed with FM since right after the birth of my first daughter.  I was 37.  I went along with the same symptoms as the rest of you here, flaring up and subsiding, even having another child when I was 43. I am now 52, and my syptoms (symptoms) were the same until I started on Lyrica a couple of years ago.  That was when the leg, foot and lower back cramps went into overdrive.  As stated above by another poster, they were as intense as labor pains, usually waking me from a dead sleep, screaming and falling to the floor.  However, something no one has addressed is the horrible swelling, and how the cramps cause bed-wetting, and urinary incontinence... at least they did with me.  I stopped taking Lyrica and the cramps (and UC), for the most part subsided.  Then about 10 months later, I started on Savella.  The cramps and UC flared up again, as did the swelling (this time to the point of bruising under my eyes, at times), and even though I stopped taking the Savella after about a week and a half, both symptoms have continued.  It has been been 8 months. Secondly, after reading some of these posts to my daughter, she asked if I had ever flown on a plane.  It was then that I realized that at the age of 7, after a flight from Texas to Kentucky, I began to have intense abdominal cramps.  I was told (without testing) that I had colitis.  I have had it ever since, however, it is now called IBS.  It caused me no end of pain and humiliation growing up (and now I have a 15 year old daughter who has many of the same symptoms. I am now desperate for answers).  I am very curious.  How many of you have similar experiences?  And, what seems to have triggered them?  Btw, I have discovered that when I get the night-time cramps, if I can make it to the restroom and empty my bladder, the cramping usually begins to subside in a few minutes.  Weird, huh?  Hope that helps someone.  
When ever a read about people with fibro it not only makes me sad but very angry.  I have had this horrible condition for 23 years and optical sensitivities for 28 years.  This, for me, I know to be true,  the prescriptions from doctors did me more harm that good.  My muscle spasms have been so sever to cause bruising.   Because I can't take most medication, do to my chemical reactions, I depend on advil taken rarely and in the most sever pain T-1 for a very short period of time, one or two days tops.  It appears that spasms with our condition is normal but should not be tolerated by the rejection of this horrible condition by the medical community.  Look into taking magnesium injection,, they take it for ms, and  in my opinion try to avoid pain killers as they create pain.  I looked at one of the comments that talked alot about oxygen intake and I do find I have a problem breathing. I'm going to look into oxygen.  I don't know if this helps but I do know that living with this is very difficult and all information is valid.

I hope you feel better
I've had fibro for over 20 years and had muscle spasms. I was seeing a osteopath at my dr's surgery for 1 year then he left and i started yoga4 years ago. I used to be unable to tie shoelaces or sometimes put a shirt on by myself and now i am really flexible. I took it real slow though, bit of breathing and stretching now i still take anti depressents but stretching and breathing have stopped the muscle spasms and most of the pain although i still get flare ups occassionally. If you try this its really important to work at your own pace. In the beginning i could barely stretch at all literally just one stretch for 5 seconds and breathing in for 3 seconds holding it for double 6 seconds then breathing out for treble 9 seconds. I used to push myself a lot beyond my capability but i've learnt to listen to me body (i used to ignore it cos it hurt so much) and just do what i can.
I hope this helps you.
watch your sugar and caffene intake this intensifies pain. Stay Calm is a magnesium suppliment that works great. 3000 mg of ester C for bruising.
I have fibro and it helps alot also long hot showers will calm the spasms.
Ginger root for nausea. Coral Calcium with Vit D is a big help not just calcium has to be coral.
I suffer from severe muscle spasms, to such an extent that some days
I can barely walk the pain is so bad it feels as if I want to faint, I have been on treatment with Lyrica, Lantanon and
adco talomil but the past few weeks the pain is terrible, I cramped so much in my abdomen last night I could not breath.
i take a teaspoon of yellow mustard every so often or drink pickle juice and they have decreased dramatically.  Now if that would just cure the CFS and Fibro then I'd be walking on clouds!
I have a vibrator like the Chiro's use. I put this right on the FM spots that are the worst and vibrate right on them. Sometimes they get bigger; whatecver they take away the pain for a few days.
I haven't found help0 for cramps; but I keep forgetting to try Apple Cider Vinegar. I want to learn and go after the cause of the cramps, so i will keep looking.
I get cramps all over my body, and have had Fibro for many years. I've just started doinng arobics ina warm exercising pool. Thats when the cramps first started.
I get the cramps in my back, chest, arms, and legs I've found that in my legs if you move your foot back and forth slowly a few times it helps to relieve the cramp. It has something to do with flexing and releasing the tendons and muscles that sends a message to your brain to release the cramp. I don't remember where I learned it but it works for me. I also find that any pain gets worse when you tense up. Relax and breath slow and deep. My mother told me she can tell when I'm hurting because I get very still and start breathing loudly.    
I believe this is something everyone with fibromyalgia and other diseases that affect the muscles and joints like have to deal with. Every doctor I've seen tells me that I need to exercise to reduce my pain. Every time I tell them it hurts too much I just get the sigh and shoulder shrug. It's so infuriating to try to ask for help from someone that doesn't understand what your really going through. Just going grocery shopping is like climbing a mountain. I always have to prepare myself the day before I have to go to the store and then spend the next few days afterwards trying to recuperate. I have fibro, arthritis, gout, high blood pressure, diabetes, gall stones, migraines, I'm over weight and live in a very stressful situation. I feel like a 90 year old in a 31 year old body. And all they can say is loose weight, and reduce stress. Gee thanks doc I didn't think of that! I try to do little thing like stretching and flexing my muscles to help prevent cramping and pain. But like a bad rash it always comes back.
The best we can do is relax and roll with the pain. I'm just glad there are websites like this where we can rant and commiserate with other people that know how we feel. It's a great comfort to know I'm not alone.          
You have discribed my pain to a T. It is if I wrote the comment. I also use Biofreeze.  Diet Tonic Water helps, it taste nasty, but blend it with a soda . It has helped, it contains Quinine. And drink lots of water, my worse pain lately is like in my shoulder blade area, If on computer to long or writing it feels like my skin is tearing. I take Advil and rest, but it controls what you can and want to do. I do not even kneel down in church anymore for fear of a spasm.It does get one down.
I also have fibromyalgia and have the same muscle spasms that you speak of....lots of screaming and praying.  It freaks my family out!  I found that getting into a warm bath with epsom salt sometimes brings immediate relief.  The one I had yestarday took a little longer than usuall to get relief but it usually works.
I've had problems with muscle cramps---the left side of my neck and the muscle leading down to my shoulder blade has given a lot of problems in the past.   My hands have a tendency to cramp on me sometimes when i am holding a book to read-----I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists, and it helped alot, but I still get pain in my wrists and cramping sometimes.

I take 400 mgs of magnesium every day (blood test were done by my doctor). Magnesium should be taken at a different time of day than calcium, because they compete for absorption.

I think low calcium can also add to muscle cramps.  I take calcium with Vit D and animal fat---doc says especially dairy fat.  He says there is evidence that vit D is absorbed better when accompanied by calcium and animal fat--and that a deficiency of these 3 nutrients is strongly associated with ability to lose weight.

I go to a doctor who used to be a thoracic surgeon, so he is a regular MD---but at some point in time he started studying the endocrine system and how to properly balance it, and now he takes a holistic approach to medicine.

I also use epsom salts a lot in a hot bath when my legs get hurting---I've been able to put off taking pain meds for a couple of hours by doing this.  I think my husband should sell a couple of his guns and buy be a hot tub!!!!

I take soma, too, I know someone mentioned it, I looked it up to see how it works.  It does not actually work on the muscles, it works on the central nervous system and alters the way that your mind perceives pain.
Many people won't believe this but if you are having muscle cramps try Tonic water. It has Quinine in it. This is a old fashion remedy . It works don't laugh. I am 60 years old and have Fibromyalgia . I am on lyrica. It seems to help with the pain but I still have muscle cramps. I also take magnesium . Tonic water will take care of your cramps.
I hate to be stupid but what is a tens machine?
A table top machine about the size of an old rotary table phone. Small electrical current is sent through 2 inch diameter adhesive patches plugged into the main machine, the current is adjustable. Chiros all have these, it calms muscle spasms when applied to the specific area.
Wow I have fm for over ten years now or should I say was diagnosed. My legs cramp and go into awful shapes also. What surprised me is that I too had a childhood with leg pains so severe as you did I thought I was the only one and now I'm wondering if we did indeed have fm all our life and gist worse when we age. I'm from ny and going to try disability brcause I can't do to much anymore
Has Lyrica helped with Fibro? I get foot cramps too, i have just started on Lyrica but on 25x 2 per day.... Fibro burning sensation. Is my main prob. Thanks
Do you have allergies ? I live with fibromyalgia for almost 40 years now and had just figured it out when I saw a doctor around 10 years ago. I am now 48 years old and still lives with it despite medications such as lyrica which I stopped because I've been taking a lot of meds already such as Cymbalta and rivotril for the spasms. These 2 really helped with the pain and the spasms and improves sleep . I also take allergy meds as I also have an allergy doctor. I do my own research as well . I strongly believe my fibromyalgia is caused by my allergies especially food and environmental allergens. The allergy causes swelling of my internal epidermal tissues and there is lack of oxygen to the brain. Fibromyalgia then occurs as a result of stressed muscles and lack of oxygen. My allergy and FB is worsened by migraine too and this is the worst of it. There is too much pressure at the back of my neck and spasms over my shoulders, arms, legs... my whole body hurts a lot and I figured out this is a reason why I am so easily stressed and needs a lot of sleep and rest everyday of my life. It is not laziness, folks. It is living with a lifelong  illness that has no cure but can only be managed. If you have this, you are still lucky if you still work and force yourself to be productive. It is a cross I bear and some people who don't have it wonder about why I complain about these things . My suggestion: Avoid allergens and food allergy triggers to avoid the frequency of fibromyalgia , spasms and migraines because there is no cure for allergy and hence, no cure for fibromyalgia . What we do to alleviate our pains are the meds, magnesium,  massage, and other remedies that we find would work when the attacks come. I for one, is still trying to find out more effective pain and spasm remedies to manage this illness. Trust in God because spirituality helps keep us sane despite this illness that has a potential to destroy our psychological and physical well being .
People need to be careful with Quinine.  For example if you are prone to psoriasis, Quinine can cause outbreaks, even if you have never had one before.  Take it in a low dosage for a while to see how you handle it.  Speaking from personal experience.
Hello to all of you experiencing this terrible pain in inside leg muscles and calf muscles. I read and re read all of the stuff I can... I pinch my pip and bridges of nose I take maganesium and pottassium and Vit E.
I use also a tens unit [ which I rely on| I also stretch all muscles that I can each morning noon and night...
Drinking sodas is the worst thing you can do... No Sodas, or caffeine.

I pray a lot too............. God helps..

Brian
I get spasms all the time from my fibromyalgia , you might want to discuss it with your doctor, mine gives me lidacain treatments which really help control the spasms, they get dibilatating without the treatments