Fibromyalgia Community
Skin sensitivities to temperature? Cold feeling when too hot?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

So a few days ago, while sitting at my computer, I got this sudden wave of something ICE COLD over the skin on my back. Almost like if you were wet and someone pointed a fan on you. I've gotten this feeling before and just called it the chills. The problem is that it kept happening over and over for about an hour straight before I got up thinking "What the heck is going on!?" -- It's been off and on for the last few days now. Some days worse than others, but pretty much continuous whether it's once or twice a day, or nonstop for hours at a time. I'm also feeling it lightly on my thighs.

Has anyone ever had this happen with Fibromyalgia?

About a year ago I had a major open-abdominal surgery to remove a large ovarian cyst. The first surgery did not go well, and only about a day later I was rushed back into to surgery to be reopened the same way because I was bleeding internally. They fixed the problem (phew!) but immediately after surgery (literally, while I was still in the hospital) the top part of my left thigh was totally numb and tingly, and still is today, though I've learned to tune it out. My point is, after surgery, it just seems like I keep having more and more nerve related issues. Twitching, buzzing in my lower half and feet, and now ice cold waves on my back and thighs.

I've talked to my doctor about it and he's expressed the possibility of nerve damage during surgery, or maybe a compressed nerve somewhere. He's diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia after my CT Scans, Brain MRI, every heart related test in the book, and several blood tests (Thyroid, Lupus, etc) all came back normal.

I've noticed that this COLD feeling only happens when I'm really warm. When it's 90-95 degrees (no A.C.) I feel it quite a bit, but when I turn the A.C. on and it cools down, it doesn't seem to happen. I've heard many people with Fibro mention that they have skin/nerve sensitivities when it's too warm or too cold

Also, when I apply pressure to my back I don't feel it. Like if I sleep on my back, I won't have it at all.

I realize I may need to see a Neurologist, but right now my medical insurance isn't 100%, so I'm just looking for some ideas of what this could possibly be? Any ideas?
I get chills quite often.  And yes, it seems to be especially when I'm warm.  I'm not sure what causes it, or how to prevent it, but I have an idea of why it only happens when I'm warm.  
Because our muscles are in constant pain, they're in a constant constricted mode.  When I'm warm, I tend to relax a bit more.  That's when I get the chills.  
Maybe it's our muscle's reaction to the change?  If you do see a doctor, let me know what they have to say!  I'd be interested.
Hi!
I've been dx'd with Fibro, and I just started noticing the "chills"... Actually, though, like you, it happens when it's really hot, but my legs/knees feel like they're sweating! But it happened again the other day... I was wearing capri's walking up to meet my son's bus and my knees, thighs and shins felt like they were sweating. I felt them an while I felt a little moisture, it makes more sense that it's a "chilling" feeling.

My husband rubs my legs when they hurt, and he always says "they're on fire!"... Yes, let us know what the doctor says - I'll ask my dr. too on my next visit in early May... He is a neuro, treating me for RLS and Chiari, and probable MS...

RLS