Fibromyalgia Community
Sneakers or Walking Shoes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Sneakers or Walking Shoes

Does anyone have any suggestions on a type or brand of sneakers or walking shoes for people that have FM?
I saw in an ad something of good standard for walking but I of course I can't remember what type they were.  

• m.s. (5 replies):
    what is the differanc in fibromyalgia and m.s. i have b...[more]
  • Heel pain (2 replies):
    I have recently begun to have some pretty serious heel p...[more]
http://www.ayushveda.com/womens-magazine/how-to-choose-walking-shoes/

I like Nike, but there are many brands to choose from.  Try them on and walk about the storefront first to see if they are comfy for you.  

Hope this helps.  Take care.
Do you have a specialty store near you, like a Track Shack that has experts that can fit you for the right kind of shoe? I like Nike and Avia too.
I buy Athletic Works "Silver Series" walking/running shoes from Wal-Mart. They have velcro closures (a lot easier on the hands if you have carpal tunnel or RSI) and they fit really comfy. I do alot of walking and they're really easy on the feet and give me just enough arch support without feeling like I've got on a pair of high heels- easy on the nerves and muscles in the legs and lower back.
Thanks all, your responses are very helpful.
I think a good walking shoe is probably best, but I find different styles (not brands) seem to more comfortable than others. I do like Avia because I need a wider "deeper" sneak to wear orthotics for support. I suggest trying on many brands and styles--it's well worth the time. I have already purchased several pair of my favorites when they are on sale!
I love the styles that don't have laces.  I have a couple of Sketchers that can slip on easy without bending over, but still stay on well.
  I tried several different brands and styles and finally bought a pair of Nike Shox and they were perfect. My feet don't hurt and the muscles in my legs don't bother me as much. Same with my lower back. I bought sveral pair and I decided to stay with what works for me.

gentle hugs
Angel