Fibromyalgia Community
Sound familiar to anyone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Hi, I am someone recognizes this pattern of symptoms, because I am desperately searching for some answers regarding some awful muscle spasms that sound identical to what was described in this old discussion thread:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Cancer-Nodules--Hyperthyroidism/Hashimotos-and-Muscle-tightness/show/263700?forums=forums

My TSH is within normal range, but for the past 2 years, I have had the same constant tension and spastic activity in my neck, shoulders, and back.  I have trigger points, and like these folks, my muscles feel as hard as rocks.  The tension varies, but when it's really bad my left shoulder is noticeably higher than my right shoulder; the former is up and back, while the latter is torqued down and forward.  The worst part is the headaches, which can be agonizing.  I have this constant sensation of pressure on both sides of my head, as if there is a vise squeezing me, but at its worst, the pain can be 10 of 10.  I've done trigger point injections, a shoebox full of various medications, and even Botox--all to no avail.  I'm at my wit's end.  

Has anyone ever discovered a Hashimoto's connection with symptoms like this?  Does it sound like either fibromyalgia or chronic myofascial pain?  Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
For me I was diagnosed with MFS and FM later (12 yrs.) to find it is Borreliosis, Babesia and Mycoplasma. Three tick diseases. I was tested in basic labs with neg. results all these years. There are very few specialized labs that do these tests right. You need a Lyme literate doctor. ILADS and Lyme disease assoc. Sites have help with that.
I feel your pain, it is horrible.
Wow, thanks so much for your reply.  I hadn't considered tick disease as a potential explanation, so I'll definitely be looking into that.  Which lab tests did they do for you, and which lab actually ran the tests?  What treatments have you had since being diagnosed, and have they helped?  Thanks again!
Just wanted to do a follow-up post to this question.  One of my biggest frustrations during this whole process has been seeing open questions that sound like close descriptions of my condition, only to read to the end of the thread and see that no one ever comes back to explain to the community what they've found out.

If you're having muscle spasms of any kind in any location, by default I would at least look into something called Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome.  JFK's personal physician wrote a book on the subject, called Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Therapy Manual.  It's a well-established, widespread condition that, unfortunately, not too many physicians are aware of.  Basically your muscles develop hyper-irritable knots in them, which then refer pain to other areas.  Different trigger points have different pain patterns, so a trigger point in your shoulder could be giving you a headache, etc.

Another great resource that differentiates between Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome and Fibromyalgia (while providing great information on both) is Dr. Devin Starlanyl's website: http://www.sover.net/~devstar/  (The key difference between the two is FM entails widespread pain while CMPS entails pain points/trigger points).

Her website even has information sheets you can print out to bring to appointments.  Apparently, she has both CMPS and Fibromyalgia, but was unable to find treatment for several years until she stumbled across the book I mentioned earlier.  She has written a book herself, and I would advise you to go to Amazon and look up any book on trigger points and chronic myofascial pain.  

If you're suffering to the degree that I am, please look into this stuff.  If you have Fibromyalgia, it can be managed very well with the appropriate treatments.  If, like me, you simply have Chronic Myofascial Pain, then you can most likely be cured (pain free), with the provision that you get body work done whenever you start to develop a trigger point again.  
I saw your comment and thought it sounded like myofacial pain syndrome. I am glad you found some relief, and yes most people do not follow-up unless you are in a "clique". Thank you for posting and good luck to you.