Fibromyalgia Community
Suggestions for mattress toppers?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Suggestions for mattress toppers?

Recently, my fibro symptoms (which in my case are secondary to Lyme disease) have been acting up such that all of my furniture feels too hard.  In other words, it hurts to be in bed.  I'm losing a lot of much needed sleep either because I can't fall asleep (despite exhaustion) or I wake up often during the night, in pain where my body contacts the bed.

For now I have taken all of the comforters I own and am using them to fluff up the bed, but that is only helping a little bit.

I used to have an air mattress to use when experiencing this problem, but I have cats and they caused a tiny leak somewhere that I can't find to patch.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a mattress topper or other relatively inexpensive way to modify my bed and make it softer?

Thanks.
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your pain.  I can definitely relate to what you're going through - I have the same problem.

I have three "egg crate" mattress toppers on my bed at the moment.  I do find that this helps a little, but sometimes not enough.  I used to do what you've done and put my comforters on the bed to lay on, but I found that they "deflated" very quickly so did not lend much comfort.  I find a little more comfort from all the egg crates that I have on there now.  I do periodically flip them around so the top is now at the bottom and also sometimes flip them "upside down" so I'm basically sleeping on the bottom of the egg crate as opposed to the "carton" side.  I've found that doing this can give me some extra comfort for a while as well as prolonging the life of the egg crate mattress topper itself.

I've not tried them, but I know at Walmart they sell mattress toppers that go as thick as 4" - I believe they are a combination of memory foam and other types of foam.

Wishing you comfortable and restful sleep...
I bought a foam mattress topper from costco. it really made the difference. You can also try a Cuddle Ewe. It says that it is good for Fibro. (google it) I just couldn't afford it.
Macy's has great sales either in the store or especially online. I got my son a feather bed. He is allergic and so am I so no down for us and it's less expensive to get down-like feather beds.  you can put it under your sheet or right on top of the sheet. it's amazing. To save money just get a twin so you can put it on your side if the bed. So it you have a queen or larger bed a twin will be less expensive and you can take it in to the living room if you can't sleep in bed.
I've been having problems sleeping and I have a pillow top mattress. I think it's the time of year. I end up on the couch lately sitting up.  It's so hard and I am with you on how difficult it can be to get good sleep.  
If you haven't done so talking to your doctor about about a sleep aid or something that helps your body rest would help too. I take trazadone for sleep and something for anxiety that helps my pain when it's really bad.  It helps me relax and finally sleep.  Last night was the first night I slept well in weeks.  
Take care.
I, too, have been having even more miserable time sleeping than "normal" - i say it that way because my sleep is NEVER normal, even with the help of a sleep aid.  But it's been even worse lately - I think concerned is right about it having to do with the time of year - especially the way the weather has been so up and down.

I've been looking at and considering acutually getting one of teh Sleep Number beds. I've heard several other fibro patients say they are the best thing for fibro sufferers because you can adjust the softness/firmness of the mattress whenever needed.  They're pretty expensive, though, so not sure I can swing it.  I'm actually considering contacting Medicare to see if they would cover at least part of the cost if I had a prescription from my doctor for it (he has already said he would do this - whatever needs to be done to reduce my pain and let me rest).  

Does anyone know if Medicare does that?  If they don't, I think they should - might cut down on the amount of money they pay out for other types of treatment for pain such as PT, surgery, medications, etc.
I purchased a memory foam mattress for $400 or so. for 2 weeks I was fine. Then I started with all the pressure point pain! The mattress was firm...which I didn't want but the hassle of returning it wasn't worth it!  I went to Penneys and purchaced an $89- 5" foam topper and I'm in Heaven. This is the best I could come up with with out the huge expense. I'm sleeping through the night and not waking with the back, shoulder, hip, wrist, or neck pain. I hope this helps and wish all of you well!
Was the "foam topper" you purchased from JCPenneys a memory foam topper of latex topper?  Thanks!
@ Wonko......What kind of Lyme disease do you have? Is it lymphedema in the leg or arm?
I knew I needed a new bed and desperately wanted a sleepnumber..I ended up getting a bed at Original Mattress factory..Started and within a week had wrapped bricks under the head. next week went and got a foam (egg crate like) but in a nice design. I have been wishing I had found the funds for the SleepNumber...I am hoping to find some kind of thick soft pillowtop..We all know with Fibromyalgia bed at nighttime with nueropathy in our legs and sore shoulders and wrists and many pressure points. the only time I can remeber lately having a sleep that I don't toss, turn,all night is when i fall asleep on the couch with a comfortable quilt and pillow.Make sure your Dr. has you on the correct dose of Lyrica if your on it.So after all that I chose to go online to try yo find an affordable Pillow top....If you can afford a SleepNumber i say go for it..I have regretted not doing so last year but that extra $400.00 though scary has got to be actually worth it to be able to control your firmness/softness.