Fibromyalgia Community
Time for a new drug??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Time for a new drug??

I am so very sorry to hear that still today, there are so many doctors that don't understand Fibromyalgia.  I've been dealing with it for almost 21 years now.  I was very lucky when my family doctor told me that's what she thought I had, but started sending me to other docs to confirm..  You have to remember though, this is WAY back in the condition's infancy.  Most doctors hadn't heard of FMS and those that did thought it was more a mental issue.

I spent 9 months and went to 12 different doctors.  They LITERALLY poked, prodded, xrayed, and electrocuted me.  They told me it was in my head, but couldn't understand why my hands and arms were swelling up.  I was called a liar, manipulator, fraud, you name it....  I finally went to a Rheumatologist who confirmed my family doctor's diagnosis.  At first he was as kind as they get.  He told me that he had a pain clinic, and that I should take part in his clinic.  He would teach me to deal with what I'm feeling.  I reminded him I lived 60 miles away, so a daily pain clinic wasn't in the cards.  At which point he became EXTREMELY beligerant.  Said, "Well, yes.  You have fibromyalgia.  Not a lot I can do about it if you aren't interested in the clinic."  and walked out.

At that point, I decided to 'deal' with it in my own way...  Hot tubs are a BLESSING and should be paid for by insurance!  That's my best coping mechanism.  that and Soy Protein smoothies...  

21 years later....  I've been on amitriptyline for the past 21 years.  I started out at 10 mg nightly.  I got up to 400 mg.  Since it causes weight gain, I added Gabapentin (400 mg 3x day) to that 11 years ago so I could get rid of the "A".  Unfortunately, I just got down to 50 mg nightly.

Now my doctor wants an ultra sound to confirm the heightened enzymes are causing any damage.  So.  Does anyone have an alternative?  What works for you?  I have enough damage to my system, I'd like to find something that works and doesn't cause me further issues.