Fibromyalgia Community
To Nap, or not to Nap?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

To Nap, or not to Nap?

okay, I have a hard time sleeping like most fibro patients seem to.

I have tried and continue to hunt for something to help me sleep through the night. (but I am not holding my breath, lol)

Do you nap or no?

If you are a napper, how long do you nap for?  Does it help your fatigue or pain levels?

Some things online say napping helps, other things say avoid naps. What to do?

To Nap, or not to Nap?
I nap, if I can.  Lately sleep is eluding me even during naptime .  If I nap in the afternoon for about an hour it doesn't seem to affect whatever sleep I can get at night.
If I can't fall asleep for a nap, I try meditating, and sometimes I will drift off during it.
if sleepy and nodding off, yes nap! turn off the phones and sleep! i reckon get good sleep when you can. if you have good, quality, restful sleep when you nap, i would grab it. i nap twice a year cause the sleepiness rarely strikes me (despite being almost constantly tired/ exhausted).  it's never scheduled, i just go with it when I've got the overwhelming sleepiness. i don't set an alarm to get up. i get better sleep in that hour/ 90minutes nap, than i might get in a hell night of crappy half-sleep!
the theory with 'don't nap' is that it will translate to a better solid sleep at night, and that a nap will take away from total time slept at night. but in reality this doesn't prove true for me.
body is asking to sleep! just say yes! good sleep is just sensational and so refreshing on the rare occasion it presents!
... good luck with it!
I agree - if you feel sleepy enough to nap, then do it!  My doctors have even recommended this to me.  Sleep is such a horrible thing for me that they tell me to get whatever sleep I can whenever I can - even if it's a 10-15 minute cat nap.  My naps, when I can get them, usually last no more than an hour.

I'm like the others - my ability (or more likely NON ability) to sleep at night is not typically affected by a nap if I have had one.
^ I pretty much have had the same experiences as geminigirl.

In the beginning of my sleep problems, I was told NOT to nap but as things have progressed and insomnia is such a big part of my life, I'm now being told by my GP as well as my sleep specialist to just take what I can get.  The sleep specialist said that IDEALLY he'd prefer that I try to compact my sleep into 7-9 hours at night, but once we discussed all of my other problems, (ie. pain, extreme fatigue) he agreed that I should just grab whatever sleep my body offers me, which really isn't much lately.

I have to say it's a question I've always pondered. Hopefully the sleep specialist can get me on a healthier night time sleep pattern and if so, I'll be trying to drop the naps.
Thanks for your answers, I think I am going to try "scheduled" napping with a CD I ordered. (Of course I ordered it online last night in the throes of insomniac desperation, lol!)

It has "healing" sounds for the duration of each napping track, and then chimes at the end to either wake you up, or if you are still awake, to let you know it is time to get up. ( there is a 10,15,20, minute setting) I think even if I dont fall asleep it would be good as a meditation timer or something like that.

I dont know if i will actually be able to fall into the nap habit as easily as it says i will, but I guess I feel like 7 bucks on a nap cd is probably of better value than a weeks worth of another sleeping pill that doesnt work.

If it works I will definitely share it!

:)
Wondering where you are on the napping.  I have to nap for long time.  I have found that what I thought: was going for nap cause I'm tired, turned into the discovery, "gosh now that I'm lieing here, I notice I'm in pain all over my body.  That long nap really helps bring down pain, tho others say it's not true for them.  I do wake up feeling swollen a lot, but that goes away once I get moving.  Recently psychiatrist tested my adrenals, and found cortisol low and flat all day.  Should start high and do a gradual fall, to low.  I never do the drop to low, thus the insomnia.  Tring to overcome adrenal fatigue and thyroid issues now.  Not supposed to exercise yet.