Fibromyalgia Community
Topamax & Hair Loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Topamax & Hair Loss

Has anyone taken the medication of Topamax i which to treat their condition of Fibromyalgia?

My Fiance' has taken the tablet which works well in treating the pain.
She has noticed a loss of some hair when she washes her hair and is curious is the tablet Topamax causing this?

Has anyone experienced this problem ?

I know someone who takes it and it can be a side effect.  I had asked my rheumatologist to let me try it for fibro due to the side effect of possible weight loss and he hadn't even heard of it.  Regardless he won't give me anything not approved for fibro.  Luckily I have reduced my Lyrica dosage and am finding my appetitie going down.
Hi Trudie,

Topamax is a drug for Epilepsy!
Epilepsy is created by over active Brain cells!
Fibromyalgia is created by over active nerves!

Therefore some Epilepsy medications are prescribed for Fibromyalgia as they work in the same way in which to calm the nerves.

My Fiance' has been prescribed Savella, Lyrica & Cymbalta and found the side affects worse than the pain, many members on this site state the same about the side affects of the 3 drugs.

Once she attended her las visit with her Rheumatologist he asked how she done on Cymbalta which was the last of the 3 drugs and she explained she did not like the side affects, he replied there is nothing left to give you!

I stated to him ( what about the drug Topamax ? ) it is meant to calm the nerves for Epilepsy and should do the same for Fibromyalgia!

He replied we have many patients that are on it you can try it if you want?

BEWARE MANY RHEUMATOLOGISTS OR DOCTORS DO NOT WISH TO TREAT THE PROBLEMS YOU HAVE, THEY WISH YOU TO KEEP COMING BACK EVERY OTHER WEEK FOR CO PAY AND INSURANCE PAYMENTS TREAT YOUR PROBLEM HE WILL NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN AND GET NO MORE MONEY FROM YOU AGAIN!

Topamax is also prescribed for MIGRAINES even though she has read that most Epilepsy medications create hair loss i try to convince her,

I have suffered from Epilepsy for 49 years, due to 49 years of epilepsy medication i have taken i would be totally Bald if epilepsy medication created hair loss.

So i posted this comment to try and get some answers from members who may have not experienced hair loss so it will encourage her to go back on Topamax as the pain has become worse also her Fatigue.

I recommend you find a post on this site or the internet related to Topamax and Fibromyalgia and print it off and take to your Rheumatologist as there are 1000's of patient prescribed with Topamax in which to treat  Fibromyalgia.

copy and paste the link below in your browser and read patients view on Topamax!

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drugs-treatments/rating/topamax-for-fibromyalgia-syndrome-fms

Hope this helps!
So, I am not a doctor, but one of the side effects I am reading about from Topamax is an increased ammonia level in the blood.  Then I read that heightened ammonia in blood can lead to kidney stones, hair loss and confusion...all side effects of Topamax.  So, my thinking is that adding water and maybe some milk thistle or other liver supporting supplements may help tip the balance back.  I am not sure those things work, this is just my theory on my limited research and there may be much larger issues at play.  However, water and milk thistle can't hurt...right?

This is from some recent research I did on some chemical analog drugs that I had posted somewhere else.

1.Topamax is a structural analog of GABA (chemically similar to GABA)
2. GABA  (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid) is a natural amino-acid and neurotransmitter that inhibits cell activity and stress, synthesized in the body by utilizing  glutamate and succinate.
3. Low GABA levels are attributed to:  
     *glutamine (glutamate) and succinate (the precursors of GABA)
    * low levelsB1 and B6
    * low minerals zinc, manganese and iron
    * chronic stress and pain
    * alcohol withdrawal
    * inadequate sleep
    * low levels of progesterone
    * mercury and lead exposure
4. GABA supplementation is associated with extremely few side effects in the recommended  dosages.
5. Uptake  of  GABA is somewhat limited because of the Blood-Brain-Barrier (similar with baclofen) so larger dosage is recommended by scientists.
Nanoparticle, Liposomal , Implantations and other delivery methods are being studied at present.

My suggestion is to get tested for GABA (urine or saliva test) and take it from there.
Have a good look at the main causes of Low GABA (I suspect that absorption of the GABA precursers is inhibited in many cases).
It may give you an alternative without the side effects, however, do your own research for this.

Hope this is helpful.
Take care,
Niko