Fibromyalgia Community
Weight gain, meds, and all that fun stuff

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

So, after being off cymbalta and my anti-inflammatory for about a month. I'm doing okay considering I have fibromyalgia and myofascial syndrome. My neuropathy came back after a few weeks, so yay. I had a heck of a time with cymbalta, gained weight, no energy. Doc took me off gradually, had serotinon syndrome sent me to ER. Wanted to put me on another med and I was like, let's just see.
Now I have 30lbs of mid-section weight with the stretch marks to prove it. I look like I'm pregnant! I went from 150 (which was bad enough b/c I"m 5'3 to 180!) My legs are tone, my arms are tone. I cannot do crunches do to my back. I am tired of this weight know some of it may be fluid or something because it doesn't look like normal fat to me. Any suggestions?
Also, if i lose a majority of the weight will my stretch marks dissapate?

Thanks.
Hi kalli11.

Your profile says male but you sure sound like a female!

You're not the first guinea pig, as doctors take a shot in the dark and prescribe freely without much concern about consequences and as a long as they follow the the guidelines they're in the clear.

You probably developed serotonin syndrome ( a  potentially very serious condition) because of the cymbalta, any other medication that enhances its action and your- likely- already adequate serotonin levels.
Were you given a neurotransmitter assessment! No, it takes too much time
and it is not standard procedure!
Were you tested for Neurotransmitter deficiencies? No, because these tests are reserved for pharmaceutical research only to develop more psych drugs!

According to Dr. Lowe, from the Fibromyalgia Research Foundation:

"Well, there simply is no competitor to inadequate thyroid hormone regulation that accounts for about 43 of the 46 subjectively verified findings in fibromyalgia! -- reduced brain blood flow, inhibitory alpha-2 adrenergic receptors, platelets that cause constriction of arterials and cold fingers... The list goes on.

If anybody looks at the method of deductively formulated theory and compare the inane serotonin deficiency hypothesis, which has been thoroughly refuted, there are no competitive theories."

Get your thyroid levels checked. Ask for Free T3,Free T4 AND Reverse T3.
Pay out of pocket if not covered! You must have this information, as most of your symptoms are consistent with low thyroid function!
Even Neuropathy. See  study below:

"Neuromuscular findings in thyroid dysfunction: a prospective clinical and electrodiagnostic study"

J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2000;68:750-755 doi:10.1136/jnnp.68.6.750

If you need any details or more information on  fibromyalgia and myofascial syndrome, please let me know, however, my comments are not intended
to replace medical advice.

Wishing you well.
Niko