What is going on?
Does this happen to anyone else?  It's kind of hard to ask my doctor what is going on if it's not happening very often.  I was lying in the bed and suddenly I started getting these very sharp and intense pains in my lower abdomen that made me cry out in pain.  It doesn't feel like it's coming from the colon either.  What ever this pain was, I had two brief intense bouts of this pain, then as suddenly as the intense pain came it's gone.  I'm already having a lot of trouble with sleeping, and now this.  I'm afraid that it's going to start again as soon as I lie down to try to go back to sleep, too.  This is really puzzling when I get these unexplained symptoms.  Does this happen to anyone else?
I don't know what your pain is, but there is many things that it could be.  Maybe someone else will come along that has had the same thing, but it could be gastro related, your appendix, your ovaries (if you still have them), etc.  I had intense pain on and off for 6 weeks and it turned out to be my appendix (chronic appendicitis) and my intestine (twisted - had a foot removed)??  Have you seen a doctor yet for it? Good luck!
I sometimes get very odd peircing sudden pains that are unexplained in my abdomen, but now they are extremely infrequent since I had my hysterectomy for endometriosis.

Sometimes an air bubble can be moving past a very tight spot and it can kinda bulldose past it. Us, with our lovely sensitized pain receptors, can find this pain excruciating. Good to mention to dr, but I wouldn't get overly worried about it - it's a frusterating thing though.

big hugs!
Wow.  That had to be frightening for you.  I have only had a couple of incidents like that.  The last one had me admitted to the ER for removal of my appendix.  Thank goodness, after 5 hrs. of waiting for a surgeon the pain subsided.  It was later that I discovered I had endometrosis.  

Only you know how severe the pain is, but from your description, I feel you should definitely have it checked out by a physician.  

Hope you don't have it again.  Take care.
Thank you for your comments.  I will be seeing a gastro again, but not 'til the middle of the month.  I think maybe this was some of the gastro stuff, but I never felt this kind of pain before and it certainly was frightening.  I'm still feeling tender where I had that sudden and intense sharp pain, but at least I'm not feeling that sudden sharp pain any more at this time.  I hope I don't have any more of that sharp pain before my appointment comes up, because it's still concerning to me.  It was the soonest I could get an appointment to see the gastro.

Has anyone here had any success in using slippery elm and aloe vera for the IBS?  
On your next GYN visit, please have them check you for endo.  We did a poll here and it seemed to be something many women had issues with.  They can do it by ultrasound so there isn't a lot of pain involved.  Hope all goes well for you with the Gastro.

I've never used the methods you mention for IBS.  Hope it works, lol.

Take care of yourself.