Fibromyalgia Community
What is this?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

What is this?

so about 7 months ago this whole freak pain thing happened. i play soccer and i run alot and get injured because of other players, so ever since last season of spring in soccer i have had a pain on the inside of my leg near my shin, its only my right leg. but then it went away for a while then comes back then went away then came back. so over that period the only symptoms i had were visible veins going down the side of my leg, stiffness all day and a horrible pain. Until 10/25/09, i was playing a soccer game. the pain and other symptom came back a two or three weeks pryor to the game and i had to deal with it through my game. well a girl came up and kicked me right where it hurt. Now its red you can visibly see my veins, and its very swollen, and the pain feels like i am walking with a broken leg, and the stiffness in the morning and all through the day is uncontrollable. i went to my Orthopedic doctor, but i had to see his nurse practitioner instead. I got X-rays, she came back with them and said "see me in three weeks to see if it gets worse". she thinks i might have something to do with edema. but walking around with this pain and stiffness and swelling for 3 more weeks? i cant take it! i need someones help! this needs to be taken seriousely! please!
Tags: veins
the nurse practiotioner also said my xrays were fine.
I had chronic edema for many years, even when I was a teenager.  I don't really know why lately I don't have it.  I don't know why I had it in the first place.  I still have pain in the trigger points in the area where I have experienced edema for so many years of my life.  My PCP thinks I might have had an underlying kidney issue all that time, since I had unexplained renal failure about three years ago.  But, my kidney function has been fine eversince it got better after that incident.  I didn't have edema during the time I had renal failure and I still don't.  It's baffling, because no one really knows why I had the edema all those years or why I stopped having the edema.  And, I still have painful trigger points in the areas where we typically get the edema.

I do understand the frustration.  I just don't have any answer for you.

That sounds very stressful. I learned today that i could possibly have a stress fracture on my shin bone, which i think might be the tibia but im not sure. i realized why it was swelling and i had sooo much pain in my leg. I was basically walking, running, and playing around on a broken bone. Wow. I really do thank you for sharing your comment with me. I wish you the best of luck of trying to find out why the edema stopped. But its great to here you only just the little triggers.
I guess the main thing for now is that edema has stopped.  But why I had it for so long and what changed to make it stop is a mystery I may not have any answers to for a long time.  

I'm glad you finally found out what was wrong.  Yikes, no wonder you have been in such an incredible amount of pain!  I don't know what I would do if I were in the kind of pain I can only imagine that you've been in on top of what I already experience daily with the FMS.  

What made them aware of the stress fractures when they had originally said that the x-rays were fine?

Wow, how do you manage to do things like playing soccer while having FMS?