Wheelchair or not?
Hi I'm 16 years old and have been fighting an abnormal energy level for years now (It hasn't been proved to be CFS, thank goodness, but I feel the same way as many CFS patients do). It's a little less severe than mono. I was told once that with my specific case, I have to "spend my energy wisely". So, in school I'm spending physicall energy just walking from class to class, then my mental energy during class, and my social energy to talk to friends. I also do after school activities, so I try to save most of my energy for after school. I was wondering tho, if I used a wheelchair most of the day, would I save enough energy to do after school activities and homewok and chores? I don't want a wheelchair of course, but if it gives me the energy i need, then should i try it?
Opinions are welcome.
Thank you
P.S. I posted this same question on "Teen Issues", but I wasn't getting many responses. I hope I get more opinions this time!
:)

Welcome to MedHelp ! I don't think anyone here can answer your question. I guess it would depend on your condition and what your physician has to say. If you feel a wheelchair would help you conserve energy, then I would suggest speaking with your parent's and your doctor.

I would say as long as you can walk and it does not cause you too much pain or days of flares of fatiuge i would carry on the trouble is once you start using a wheelchair your muscle strength declines.

I would just take everyday as it comes and cut down on what you need to when you need to and learn to listen to your body and pace yourself.

You seem to be very active and thats great.

i use a wheelchair and sticks but i have fibro/possible MS so mine is weakness and pain related but on my good days i pace on my bad i rest i am 33 with 3 kids only been ill 2 yrs.

talk to your parents/dr/and teachers and try and work out a suitable routine that suits you, they will all understand and want to help talk to your friends too let them know how tired you get because of your illness and maybe they can come to you rather then you having to go to them to meet up. That way you still dont miss out.

sam
I think the best course of action would be to try and get a real diagnosis and eliminate all other possibilities. Could you be anemic, have they done extensive blood work? Without knowing your condition, it's hard to say whether a wheelchair would be the answer. I don't know if it is possible to "save" your energy for later or if it would be more beneficial to increase your stamina my increasing physical exercise. Only a doctor would be able to suggest what's best. Please encourage your parents to help get some answers.
thanks! you've all been very helpful, and yes, extensive bloodwork has been done, and everything is normal. It's just a wierd thing that is unique. I personaly think that maybe exersice would be best, but I can't take the jarring, extra hard P.E. classes that are required for Graduation. Should I try and tough out the P.E classes, or get a medical waiver? My school doesn't allow P.E waivers anymore, but would they be OK with a medical note? Thank you so much, I needed some opinions.

P.S. ~ My parents believe that I don't want to do P.E. because I am "lazy." How can I show them that I'm terrified that I'll just be more exhausted after class?  
Thanks again