Fibromyalgia Community
Why is my skin vibrating?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Why is my skin vibrating?

My skin feels like its vibrating all over.  This is continuous.  It's been going on for the last 2 years.  Most of the time I don't notice the vibrations unless I think about them.  But, once in awhile the vibrations become more noticeable - lasting for more than 8 hours.  This makes concentration difficult and it feels very uncomfortable.  

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year.  My fibromyalgia has been getting progressively worse.  I am in constant pain particularly in the neck, back, hips and legs.  I also have numbness and tingling in my fingers and hands (I've had tendonitis for years.  Fibromyalgia is making my symptoms feel worse.).  I also have costochondritis in my chest.  The pain in my chest never goes away.  It does get worse with stress and exercise.  I also have shortness of breath.  All cardiac tests have come back normal.  All pulmonary function tests are normal.  I am having difficulty sleeping because of the fibromyalgia pain.

Other medical issues include frequent migraines and nausea.  I have year round allergies.  And I suffer from frequent fatigue.

If anyone has any ideas regarding the vibration sensations, please let me know.  
I can't explain them but I get something similar, but only in one small spot and not as bothersome as yours.  Mine feels like I have a cell phone ringing (set to vibration mode) pressed against my skin.  It vibrates for about 3 stops for 3, and repeats.  Although annoying it doesn't last long.  I can see how if this were continuous and all over it would really be bothersome though.  I am curious as to whether others get this too and if anyone has an answer.  I also get all kinds of nuerological symptoms (numbness, pins and needles, muscle twitching, strange sensations) for many years and doctors are unable to diagnose.  
Is it possible that this skin vibration is another symptom of parasthesia or neuropathy?  I haven't gotten skin vibrations as of yet, just muscle spasms.  But, I definitely have parasthesia and/or neuropathy, which is common with FMS.  It moves from place to place and will either feel like a burning sensation or will feel like someone is poking a hot needle through me.  Then, there are the places, such as the top of my head that have the stronger sensation that is almost always there that even goes from the burning sensation to burning with dull ache.  The only thing about the place on the top of my head is that I've also been diagnosed with migraine disorder, so I'm pretty sure that is why the place on the head is so much more tender and stays flared up compared to other places that might just feel hot or like pins and needles.  While I was typing this I had the parasthesia move all over my abdomen and my back and now it's back to on top of the thighs.  Sometimes the parashtesia makes my skin itch, too.  I usually just do the best I can to ignore it, but I know it's impossible to ignore at times.  It just moved to hot spots in my shoulders.  

All I know for sure is that the parasthesia and/or neuropathy is neurological, but usually the doctors don't know what is causing it, so they'll just call it idiopathic, which is another word for "unknown cause" or "I don't know".

Speaking of migraines, I've got another big one coming on, so I've got to go.
How strange you should mention vibrations!  I have had this symptom for some time now ( at least a yr) and have wondered what it is.  Mine feels like a phone on vibrate or a standing over a subway grate as the train goes by.  sometimes it is constant or sometimes intermitant--a few seconds of vibrations--stop--begin again.  i have no idea what this is or the cause and dr looks at me like I have 3 eyes. will keep at the dr until somone comes up with a reasonable answer--very annoying on a good day and just miserable on others.  keep me posted as you may find out something--I will do the same. THANKS  for bringing this up!
I was so glad to see your post! I have an issue with this feeling on my face. have you learned anymore about it? I too am afraid to go to the Dr. because of the way you mentioned! please let me know because I want to get to the bottom of this!! It is makin me crazy!!
thats really how my fibro started.it felt like hundreds of insects crawling under my skin(mostly on my back