Fibromyalgia Community
Wrist and finger pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Wrist and finger pain

I am a mid 30's female with moderate finger and wrist pain for over 1.5 years.  My physician and Rheumatologist has R/O RA, Lupus, Lyme and other autoimmune illness.  Family physician believes that I have Fibromyalgia but Rheumatologist disagrees.  I have no typical tender points.  I am being treated successfully for depression w/ Cymbalta.  I also take Ambien daily due to recent sleeping difficulties.

This pain is very frustrating and takes strong prescription medication to relieve.  The pain can sometimes disappear for weeks but when it appears I lose range of motion and I fear losing ability permanently as my hands haven't been the same since this started.  My hands are very stiff in the morning also.

The only other significant health issues are high cholesteral and overweight.

Thank you,

momofthreeboys
Have you been checked for carpal tunnel syndrome? or maybe the vertebrae in your neck going down your arm?

I agree with the poster above. Have you had an EMG test done to find out whether or not it could be carpal tunnel syndrome ?
have you had your thyroid checked? I had carpal tunnel and some tests for arthritis that started in my hands...everything came back with no specific answer...then years later, it turned out I had hashimotos which is where your thyroid is acting up...anyway, thyroid gone, huge crash with fibromyalgia all over my body for about 6 weeks until my synthroid was figured out, and now? very infrequent little twinges in the hand.....They also had tried me on antidepressives, which just made me more tired and I had sleep issues, which is why I saw our similarities. also, it took forever for them to figure this out, I even got tested for hypoglycemia...go to about.com under thyroid and take some of their quizes and bring the answers to your doctor. good luck
I also woke up this morning with sever wrist pain.  I also have some numbness in my finger tips and my hand is very very weak.  I had noticed over the last couple of weeks that I would have sporatic pain in my wirsts but I just brushed it off.  I researched it a little on-line and I came up with the same answer... thyroid.  Both of my sisters suffer from thyroid problems so I thought that it could be that.  I went to the doctor yesterday and he said "nothings wrong with you"  he said he has checked my thyroid in the past and it showed up fine in the blood test also no swelling or redness in my wrist.  So I went home and then what do you know this morning I woke up in severe pain.  I was unable to help my girls get dressed for school, couldn't do their hair and had a very difficult time driving.  I dont know what to do I am very scared.  Oh yeah, I know its not carpal tunnel because I dont do any consistent motion with my wrist.  I am not on the computer alot and nothing else in my daily activities would lead to wrist problems.  I also like the woman from the first post suffer from depression...which again can be a sign of thyroid problems.  Should I get tested again???  Please help!
Hi, I went through hell with many of the same symptoms I just read above. The most disturbing part of what I just read, was that you went to the doctor and they said "you are fine". If you were fine you wouldn't be at the doctor. DUUUUHHHHHH, its amazing to me that a doctor would actually say those words. Most of us human beings, are overall pretty intelligent, and we can feel when something is wrong with us. It took 14 doctors and constant searching on my part to find out what was wrong with me. I ended up having Lyme Disease. Standard testing is very often wrong for many reasons, too many to discuss here. "I GeneX" out in Palo Alto CA. is one of the top labs for Lyme. Pay the money, start there, then go from there. Lyme Disease is the fastest spreading vector born disease in the USA if not the world. It is also considered one of the worlds deadliest diseases(in our own governments words). If you get a positive result, go to a Lyme Literate doctor for help. Most regular PCP don't even know the facts about Lyme and even if they do, they won't tell you. Good luck.
I have fibro, I started in mid September with pain in my fingers and hands and wrists...I wend to rheumatologist, he said it was my fibro and that it has become much worse. It is so bad that the only thing I cnn manage to do is type on the computer (which is my work) for about 4 hours before it really starts to bother me. But of course I am being told there is nothing that can be done....I did get some Tylenal 3's....still out on this...

what makes me made is the doctors seem to know about fibro but all I get is "there is not cure and nothing really I can give you to help"

But they all seen to tell me that if I loose weight it is going to go away or at least it should help the pain??!!!!!

from
sad
I really don't think weight has anything to do with it.  I was 5'3 and 120 and got hit with this like a brick.  When I was on steroids I went up to 145.  Nothing was any different at any weight.  I'm on 400 mgs. of Lyrica, it helps some and I really think after a year of taking it...I don't know how much its helping...I came down from 475 mgs. slowly to 400 mgs. the transititon was ok a couple of days of some light residual pain...but when I went down to 375mgs. The pain was tremendous and did not disapate so I had to go back up to 400 mgs.  Lyrica has helped a great deal, but I do get confused and things are not exactly clear, I have some problems transposing information.  What do you do, come off the pills so your heads clear, but your in unbearable pain.  I also have hair loss, which I'm working on with biotin and vitamens.  Its winter which I think makes it worse.  Who knows? Pray for warm weather for us up in the North.  Thanks!