Fibromyalgia Community
a dear friend has fibro, is suffering emotional distress and pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

I have a dear friend that is over 55.  she has fibro.  she is currently taking amitryptaline, and she is going through some very severe emotional distress.  she lives alone.  she has to really push herself to function in life, to really accomplish the things that need to be done, like say, grocery shopping, or, weekly mass at church.  she is very stressed out right now, and really doesn't wish for anyone to know that she is going through so much emotional turmoil.  i have suggested to her that she mention to her doctor, that her emotion state is so awful, but she doesn't want to consider it really.  my friend doesn't feel its an option, because she feels that the amitriptaline relieves a great deal of her fibro pain symptoms, and i'm not sure why, but she is hesitant to add anything on top of that, my friend seems emotionally suffering though, and i'm not sure how long she will last at this rate.  she truely needs some assistance, i believe, medical, to get her through the mental anguish.  she tells me that her fibro symptoms through all this, aren't too too bad.  i was hoping i could get some opinions of some people who were experienced in the treatment of fibro, and all the symptoms that are a result of it, i would truely love to help my friend find the light at the end of the tunnel.  i will share with her the link to this thread, so that she can read what you all have to say.  if you all have any specific antidepressant recommendations, please pass them along.  my friend lives in Canada.  anyway.  thank you all.  my friend has told me too, that cymbalta, doesn't work on the pain.  so she has tried that.   anyway, amtitritpaline is effective in treating the pain, but emotionally my friend is not doing well at all.  she lives alone, so i worry about her.

Glad to hear her pain is under control but she really needs an anti-anxiety med like Xanax or something like Effexor anit-depressant.

I, too, live alone with severe Fibro and I suffer from that very same thing plus the frustration from having to do things alone while I suffer.

But the older we get (I'm 58) the worse the Fibromyalgia gets so the only light I find at the end of the tunnel is to keep things under control and think of those with worse diseases...the depression, anxieties contribute to its advancement!