Fibromyalgia Community
alternative treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

alternative treatment

I saw the rhumatologist today, and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  After a whole year of pain and searching, I have finally got an answer....i guess i was expecting to have a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.....not so,  Im 28 years old, and will be in pain the rest of my life....  He started me on a low dose of lyrica, given my poor history with medication reactions, he said in 2 weeks i can up the dose, after a month he would consider adding something for the fog business  He said I will probably always have some degree of pain, but he would try to control it as best he can.  What kind of alternatives to medication can i do to help with the pain??  Can i trade this chronic condition for another, less painful one??  Yuck, i really just want to feel good :(
Well my dear I was in my early 30's when I was diagnosed. I am now 48. I went through years of denial. Thinking I will get over this, or it's not as bad as it seems. I also self medicated for a period, I refused to take medication or slow down in my career.  So I stopped that crap because that didn't work-of course. I kept up my fast paced career until 2003 I was injured in a car accident. Five spine surgeries later for a total of seven I was forced to leave my career. So some how the universe stopped me.  Listen to your body and heart it's going to be your best director right now.

This is going to be a process for you. Everyone is so different and figuring out your life plan is the key.   Some people do well, some others suffer and are confined to bed, wheelchairs.  
I am of the strong belief if you don't have underlying conditions and you take care of your health in other ways like you mentioned with alternative ways you can make this work.  Youth is also on your side.  If weight is not an issue for you try to never let it become one. Try to keep moving, you are still working so that will keep you moving.  It really is the best thing.  Warm water so water exercise is heave for me.  Try to avoid strenuous exercise until your know your body and what causes flare ups for you.  Excess stretching, a long bike ride, spinning classes, even hard yoga or pilates classes became too difficult for me. They would definitely bring on a flare up. It was too much stress on my body.  

Fibromyalgia people often have problems with digestion so taking enzymes, 1 with each meal is an excellent starting point. I take "Essential Enzyme" by Source Naturals, I also take Vitamin D2000, 1 daily, I also added Iodine. If you have no issues with your thyroid check out the research on Iodine and decide whether you want to add this.  I swear by it.   I also take Astragalus and Grapefruit Seed Extract on and off the minute I start to feel sick or run down.  Keeping your immune system up with FM is important. On Medhelp there is a forum called "Complimentary Medicine" there are topics on alternative therapies and iodine is a big one on there.  

I was seeing a doctor about 12 years ago. His theory and research in FM was woman especially should take a low dose thyroid medication.  It should not be based on your blood test results, it should be based on symptoms. Like hair thinning/hair loss, fatigue, nails not growing, etc.  A low dose thyroid medication has helped me more than anything with my FM pain.  So check in to that.  

Drink 98 oz. of water or more daily.  There are two books: "Life Without Bread" and "Solved: The Riddle of Illness" two excellent books that doctor recommended to me that helped me see the link between FM, pain and foods we eat.  

Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.  

Keep a journal, it really does help.  If over the years this does get harder and you find you cannot work you will need this journal to refer back to.