Fibromyalgia Community
are knots in muscle Fibromyalgia???????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

are knots in muscle Fibromyalgia???????

my doctor told me I have hasimoto but I have knots in my muscles all over my body neck, inbetween and under shoulder blades, thighs, butt, now matter what I do I can't get rid of them. I have tried massages,aqucpunture,I take magensium everyday and my thyroid medicine. So my question is which is it a systom of Fybro or Hasimoto? And is there anything I can do to loosen my muscle exercise seem to make it worse. And do the knot every go away if keeps me up at night because I ache and my muscle get so tight my hip hurt (exspecailly if I walk alot) sometimes it makes my knee hurt and my neck hurt all the time. I could sure use so help on what to do?????/
I'm wondering if these knots could be due to MPS (mysofascial pain syndrome)  This is a commonly co-existing condition with FMS. Exercise will not rid them, in fact, until they are broken up, they will continue to hurt and even multiply. They can act as a splint and prevent a muscle (group) from functioning properly, often times causing another muscle group to take over. That is when some people experience what feels like muscle weakness.

Is the doctor you are seeing familiar with fibromyalgia? Are you being treated for it? I would be questioning him. If he can't give you answers, maybe try another doctor. As far as trigger points, moist heat is helpful as well as massage. There is also a technique of applying increasing pressure and release. My husband used to press down and kind of use his finger to roll it and release. This worked well for me. If you have someone that will do this, try applying pressure to the back of the hip and on down to the buttocks and see if you find any trigger points. That may losen the piraformis muscle and your hips and the referred pain in your knee. Stretching exercises will help also.
hey thanks for responding to my question. My husband does the Acupressure boy does that hurt I do have several hot spots and it does hurt but feels much better when he is done but where my leg and hip meet it always hurts. None of the doctors down here deal with Fibromyalgia. I will check on the mysofascial pain. So did you have the knots and did they go away?
In answer to your question, they do go away if they are broken up. In my case, they do return sometimes and there can be many reasons for that. Fibromyalgia itself can be a perpetuating factor as can things like poor sleep. When the piriformis muscle is involved, you can also have problems with sciatica.(I did) It takes a while to really rid them . Do you get the sensation of an electrical shock at the top of your leg ever? Keep working on them and apply moist heat. (20 mins) It takes a while with that also, they don't just go away unfortunately. Do you have a gentle stretching routine that you do daily?

Keep looking for a doctor, try rheumatologists in your area but always ask if they treat FMS before scheduling an appointment.

The TrP's in the hip (back) and down into your butt are very deep. If hubby would be so kind, they begin in back of the hip and down into the buttocks, like I said. You will most denfinitely feel them if they are there!
thank you so much I know this may sound stupid but it is nice to know someone out there knows what it is like to hurt like this. What would a Rheumy be able to do other than tell me I have Fibro? I have had a big problem with sciatica about 3 years ago and my hip was hurting so  my husband did the pressure points and use DMSO on my body to get the inflammation down so I don't get it as bad anymore I  have never felt like there was electricity running down my legs but I couldn't ride in the car or sit for very long without it being very painful. But where my leg connects to my hip I hurt all the time. I went to Wal-mart tonight after about 10 min of constant walking it was killing me I can't seem to get it better I thought about trying roulphing (not sure how it is spelled). I just wasn't sure sometimes after a massage or excersise it seems to irratated it. I felted better for a little while but it seem to always come back each time maybe a little worse. Does your eyesight seem to be blurry alot my does and my memory  is terrible. I keep getting pain under my rib cage on my backi is this also a part of it? Thank you for writing back Vicky
i get the usual knots and cramps and tighness in the muscles, the only thing that releaves this for me is heat. hot baths, the old waterbottle comes in handy and loosens the muscles. when really sore in the hips/buttocks i have a blast on the sunbeds for 8 minutes and i make sure the bed has just been used so its already heated up. this helps me and makes a huge difference in the pain and mobility, i feel like being warmed from the inside of the bones and muscle out. great relaxer too. and especialy in the cold months when the pain is the worst. i also have rib and chest pain these symtoms (symptoms) are common. hope things get better for you
take care
zz
Do you have sleep disturbances or are you on any medication to help improve your sleep? There are some good stretching exercises for the hips, are you doing any of that? Sometimes PT is beneficial for the short term if you can find someone familiar with FMS/MPS and knows how to eliminate TrP's. It is important to have them worked on before starting an exercise program, but once there, I have found low-impact exercise to be very helpful. A good therapist can teach you different stretching exercises to prepare you for regular exercise which is something you have to begin slowly and increase your time very gradually.

Unlike FMS, which is thought to be biochemical, MPS is neuromuscular. I am going to speak for myself here and I don't know if this will help you or not. You know that we are all very different even though we share the same "affliction". First, do you use any type of arch supports in your shoes, especially when you expect to be on your feet alot? Second, really try very hard to pay attention to posture. This can be very difficult, it is for me. When I become fatigued, my posture changes. I try very hard to pull in my tummy, straightened my shoulders (but in a relaxed position) and tuck in my chin abit . There should be a slight curvature to our neck--not straight or leading by the chin. This will not eliminate the problem totally, but I have found it to help.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but a memory foam mattress topper would be a great idea, especially if you have a regular type mattress. In my state, a doctor needs to write a RX for PT in order to have it covered under medical. There are also different meds used to treat FMS and some need to be adjusted according to the patient. There are pain meds which can help you be a little more comfy at night so you can sleep better. There are TrP injections, which I have had on a couple ocassions when I couldn't deal with the pain and couldn't get rid of them. There are some people that feel they do not work but I was fortunate to have good results however, that was a real last resort. I don't think you need a rheumatologist necessarily, but they are supposed to be the experts. What is really important is to find a doctor that understands it and will work with you.

Yes, about the memory and blurry eyes, that is possible also. Believe it or not, could be due to TrP's. They say eye exericses can help, try doing a search. My eyes are blurry but for a different reason.
hey what is TrP I am new to this? I am taking levothyroxine, Myco-zyme (enzyme),X-FLM it is a antioxidant,oxi cell also a antioxdant this are homopathic medicine I just started a Adrenal Cap and cortisol support also homopathctic. I was trying to stay away from the prescribtion medicine they seem to have alot of side affect. My doctor sasy you have to get the thyroid and the digestion fuctioning properly. About two year ago I did water aroebics. I felt great then I started work out on the treadmill and the other equipment and tore my knee up because of all the tightness. Now evertime I do anything for a period of time it seem to agravate my muscles and they become tight and knotted and painful. So I started strecthing and that helps but it never gets rid of the knots and the tightness. MY doctor told me FBM and MFS are the same is that not true? What low impact excerise do you do? I now have the planter fasca on my foot I am very flat footed so no I havent treid shoe supports but I buy really good shoes. I have a small memory foam on my bed what do you have and does it help I just told my husband I wish I had a matteress I could just sink in and it would be like a pillow and nothing would hurt so I could sleep better. It was cold here today and I walked quite a bit it seem to be worse. Is moist heat or a heating pad better? how about hot tub? I was just wondering if the lympthatic massage is going to help or if I should try something else I do not just want to lie down and give up I have a special needs daughter she is 27 and a 8 year old they keep me busy I just wish I didn't hurt so much it makes me grippy.
TrPs's is an abreviation for trigger points. Trigger points are caused by Myofascial Pain Syndrome, not fibromyalgia. Stretching exercises should be done daily and especially before and after exercise. Exercise needs to begin slowly and gradually increased. If you do too much too fast and don't properly stretch, you could injure yourself. A good physical therapist familiar with FMS/MPS can really be helpful in establishing a good stretching and exercise program. It is important for trigger points be broken up prior to exercise.

No--FMS and MPS are definitely not the same!  They are frequently lumped together because they are often co-existing. FMS (dysregulation of the neurotransmitters) is biochemical whereas MPS is neuromuscular. Unfortunately, FMS is also a perpetuating factor of MPS.

They sell moist heat heating pads--they come with a little spongy type insert that you moisten. It penetrates much better than the dry heat. It is good to use not only when you're having pain, but before you exercise if you are having pain. Apply for 20 min at a time only. A lot of people prefer soaking in a hot tub, that works too.
Does anyone have any recommendations for good shoes for someone with "FMS/ MPS Foot" (Wide at the ball of the foot, narrow at the heel, with a high arch and rigid foot)? I use arch supports and try to wear comfortable tennis shoes or danskos, but after being on my feet all day teaching, I still have a lot of pain in my archs, calves, hamstrings, back, neck etc.
Smokey, Could you describ the pain in your ribcage. Is it just below your breast?  Is it more promonent on one side over another?  My rhematologist sent me to a physical therapist for a little while.  They did tens unit and ultrasound therapy for a full week before they started on the exercises.  I never thought I would be able to come out of the hole I was in, but praise God, I did.  I'm not where I was before I got sick, but I'm certainly a long way from where I was when I was sick.  

Caroline, That was very interesting about the myofacial and FMS being two different things.  It sounds like you are very knowledgeable about this stuff.

I get really sharp, jabbing, stabbing pain (that take my breath) in my upper right (just below the breast).  The longest one lasted was about 15 min.  Then I hurt there for the next day.  Real sore like someone punched me.  Does this sound familiar to either one of you?
I have FM and I have a big problem with muscle knots and spasms. Just about everytime I go to the doc they feel knots all over my back, legs, arms. The only thing that has helped is taking at least 8mg of Flexeril every day.
The pain I get in my ribcage is sharp and Constance from anywhere from 2 minutes to 20 minutes. I also have the knot everywhere and if I get stressed they tighten up so much they make my hips knees and shoulder hurt.
No one ever mentions diet...probably the most important factor in fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, arthritis and other similar health problems is "what are you eating?" There is a group of foods called the Nightshade Plants which includes potatoes, eggplants, tomatoes, peppers, including capsicums, cayenne and chili peppers, tobacco. These plants contain a chemical alkaloid called solanine which can trigger pain in some people. Here are a couple of links with more information:
http://nutrition.about.com/od/dietsformedicaldisorders/a/antiinflamfood.htm
http://hubpages.com/hub/nightshades
I am a firm believer in staying away from all nightshades; have done so for years now...this is what helped me get rid of muscular pain, knots in my muscles and extreme discomfort which caused me to have sleepless nights and depression. I am happy to pass on this bit of information because it really works...and I have many friends that now follow this too!!
SOMA, a muscle relaxer, helps with this type of pain.
I'm on soma too and that has really helped me. I have fibro, mps, raynaud's, cfs, arthritis. Heat, massage and exercise in a heated pool has been great mentally and physically. I'm also on cymbalta, lyrica, remoron, evista.

Thanks for all your posts... they really help.
Amy
For years I had the same symptoms as you (along with other symptoms). I thought they were from a car accident. My doctor said it was Fibro. I didn't like the answers I was getting so I kept looking. Turns out I have very low cortisol (called Adrenal Insufficiency). I'm still undergoing my diagnosis as well as treatment, so I don't know the whole scope of my issues. While the doctors are still working on the fatigue, etc.., the pain is gone. :)

You may want to talk to your doctor and see what s/he thinks about getting a cortisol test (at 8 a.m.) and an ACTH test (it goes with the cortisol test), if your doctors haven't run it before. It's a RARE condition, so I don't want to mislead you or give you false hope. However, I feel it can't hurt to run the test because if you do have it, then it's treatable.

Best of luck!
My daughter, 9, has constant pain in her neck, shoulders and knees.  I rub her muscles with tiger balm, and even took her to an alternative medicine doctor who performed accupuncture on her.  Unfortunately, the treatments are too expensive.  I do not trust doctors in general, for reasons too great to enumerate here, so does anyone know of alternative therapies to treat this condition?  I think my daughter may have fibromyalgia, based on a lot of the posts above.  Thanks.
I get muscle knots in the back of my leg along with knee pain had it for about 2 months.When I walk my knee feels like it is frozen and when I try to bend it it hurts also the muscle knot at the back of my knee feels like the back of my leg is being stretched.  Was working out alot at the gym. I dread getting up in the morning because I know I am going to be stiff and sore can hardly walk first thing in the morning. Went to the doctor got some knee ex rays she thinks it is arthritus will know the results tomorrow. I went to physio he said it was from over use and that there is a problem with the fascia which is causing the muscle knots he works them out which is painful and it feels good for a little while after but then they come back. Somebody told me today that laser is good. All I know it is really hurts and is really interfering with my quality of life.
I have been suffering from severe back pain for about 4 years now. Other symptoms include very tight and tender muscles throughout my body. I have had MRI'S, CT'S, bone scans and a battery of blood work that all says I am fine!!!!! I AM NOT FINE!!!! Some days it is such a chore just to get out of bed in the morning. I am a father of 3 and happily married. My wife is in the understanding that it is stress and depression!!!! I wish that's all it was. I can tell you that this pain is more than stress and depression. The pain is causing the stress and depression. I have tried all different medications from anti depressants to muscle relaxers to heavy duty pain meds and also had a nerve blocker done. NO RELIEF!!!! Is this FIBRO? What is my best next course of action???? Thank you, FRUSTRATED as hell. Mike
A rheumatologist can dx fibromyalgia by testing the 18 pressure points.  One of the common things that go along w/ fibro is not sleeping well.  Usually when people get good RIM sleep, their symtpoms improve.  

I think stress can trigger symptoms too.  So learning how to handle stressful situations is good too.  

I hope you can get to the bottom of this.
Actually trigger points are not caused by fibromyalgia. They are a complication of fibromyalgia. Trigger points are actually where due to an overuse of a muscle or injury you develop knots in the belly of the muscle. In a process called muscle splinting, a muscle is injured and the muscles around it contract, cutting off the circulation to that area. The body then starts the healing process by creating scar tissue over the injured muscle. Until you can break up the nerve impulse to that group of muscles they will remain contracted and you can develop a trigger point in the the injured muscle or in the muscles surrounding the injured muscle.
Looks like my post did not make it. Basically what I said is that I have those marbled sized knots all over my body and I laugh when folks suggest they can be rolled out like dough. You touch one of these babies and then stick me with a thick needle and I will not know the needle went in me. The pain of the small marble knot is too great. Now imagine hundreds of them all over legs, stomach, back, arm; most are marbled sized...some huge. Massage is like torture. I have done everything to fix this including detox diets with melons, then melons and veggies, for months and lost no weight or pain. I wear a night mask to help me breathe and I still wake feeling as if I did not sleep. There is not a moment when I am not in great pain.
THIS IS ME TO A T!..I HAVE HUNDREDS OF KNOTS THAT ARE LIKE ELECTRIC IF YOU TOUCH THEM< PAIN SO UNBEARABLE< I JUMP WHEN YOU TOUCH THEM. THE WORST ONES ARE IN MY BUTTOX AREA AND DOWN MY LEGS. RECENTLY I DONT EVER SLEEP AND MY NECK, SHOULDERS AND BACK GET LARGE LUMPS THAT NEED RUBBED AND THEY POP AND CRACK. RECENTLY MY LEFT SHOULDER CANT BE RAISED AND HURTS WITH ALL MOVEMENTS>>>THEY TELL ME ITS A TORN ROTATOR CUFF> WHAT MEDS DO YOU TAKE FOR YOURS?
i too have fiber, i also have dieabties blurry eye site bad more and more.and i have mussle pain its kinda like cramps and it lasts n seconts. i hurt all over al the time and wats more if i or someone else touches parts of my arms like push or rub it really hurts is this all part of the fiber, i cant take any pain pills of anykind or meds for the fiber, i get alsers. so is this all connected? nancy,from tillamook oregon,
Folks, I have lived in Chronic Pain for well over 1860 days. I have been to every doctor imaginable, tried every diet, treatment, drug and nothing works. Heck even pain meds cause more trouble than help. I have those knots all over my body and they continue to grow; they continue to hurt.

Fatigue is another aspect. I loved to cook, now my arms get exhausted just holding a frying pan. My career is over because of this pain and I have no relief; not even for a minute. I cannot get the needed restful sleep a person requires and my memory is going. Sounds pretty rough right?

But I am here to tell you this stuff can get to you if you let it so my motto has been COUNT THE BLESSINGS YOU STILL HAVE RATHER THAN THE ONES TAKEN AWAY!!!

This pain ***** for us all and what stinks even more are the doctors who often say this is all in our heads, even when they can feel the layers of muscle knots upon us. If you let it, such things will tear you apart. So please focus on whatever blessings in your life that you still have: a spouse that loves you, children, work, income? Do you still have two eyes to see, ears to hear, legs to walk, hands to grab? Then you still have blessings in your life.

For me God is my greatest blessing. I am around to chat if you ever need encouragement or just to have someone to listen. I think with my story I have earned the right to say, "I understand". Take care
I have the same problem ,psyical therapy for 8months they tryed rolling the knots out. I was screaming in pain,was wondering if anything helps and what causes the knots
I think you might have Fibromalgia. It took 4 years to diagnois me.  And  stress does cause it to be worse.   I am just starting to figure out what triggers the knots.  Once I massage the big knots down to smaller size, I am able to move around more freely.  But when I wake up in the mornings,  Most mornings. I am stiff as a stick..  I take Flexril 1 time nightly. I am still saying this is not what I have. But muscle medications works for the knots and dissolves them?   Every single time. flexril also stops the pain.   Good luck..

I think you might have Fibromalgia. It took 4 years to diagnois me.  And  stress does cause it to be worse.