Fibromyalgia Community
been diagnosed with fibro since 1998

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

been diagnosed with fibro since 1998

I am running out of treatment options. When I was first diagnosed with fibro there were no treatment no medication
for it. The Ra Dr told me at that time all the pin points seemed to be very tender. She told me the only thing that I could do is to take ibprofen or ibprofen like medication. SInce then I have tried gabapentin but that gave me tremors so I went back to ibprofen then I went to lyrica and that worked and then I recieved a letter from my insurence that they would no longer be paying for the medication. I tried to contest it but they said no. A few years latter I went to cymbalta and that work and recently the insurance said no and I went thru the process again and nothing happed. What other medication is out there? It is so hard to get up in the moring because of the pain I have to crawl to the shower to have the warm water loosen me so I can do my fibro stretches in order to function. I have read some of the people who take narcs for the pain. Are you aware that narcs can make it worse? There have to be some other medication out there to help with fibro without the side effects of narcs. It is bad enough to live in a fibro fog but add that with narcs that is dangerous
What exactly are you refering to as narcs?
When there is nothing else someone can take, narcotics is better than living in severe pain for some people.  Some people are allergic, or it does nothing for them so they turn to narcotics. I think the warm shower in the morning and stretches are very good! I've heard around that certain foods can aggravate fibro. caffeine, gluton, fake sugars, msg.  I don't know of any other non narcotic meds, but if you don't want to take narcotics, I would look into more natural healing.
The other FDA approved medication for fibro is Savella.  My insurance rejected it at first because they said there were other things I could try first, like Prozac, etc.  My dr had to verify that the use for the medicine was specifically for the Fibro and then the insurance ok'd it.
My doctor has also got me on Prozac (depression), Depakote (mood stabilizer), Norco (pain medicine), Soma (muscle relaxer), and the low dose of Savella (25 mg x 2 a day.)

As for non-narcotic meds, there are plenty out there that you can give a try-I did.
Some suggestions to look into: Flexoril, Methocarbamine, Skelaxin, Mobic, Norflex, and many others.  
Here's a link to an article I got from Web MD in my email inbox:  5 Types of medications help ease Fibromyalgia symptoms.
http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/features/treating-fibromyalgia-pain-medication-options?ecd=wnl_fib_032310