Fibromyalgia Community
cymbalta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

cymbalta

I recently went to dr to talk about possible fibro and cfs.  I took blood for tests and put me on cymbalta for the time being.  I am now tappering off my Effexor and up to 60 mg of the cymbalta.  I haven't gotten the test results back yet.  anyway, my question is--Has anyone had luck with cymbalta?  And does cymbalta work for fibro and cfs?  Why isn't he referring me to a neuro or a pain mgmt doc?
I've been off and on Cymbalta for about a year.  It works great for the neuropathy in my feet, but that's about it.  I can't go off it unless I want to give up sleeping and walking forever, but it hasn't really done anything for my other FMS issues.

As for no referrals, you might just be lucky enough to have a knowledgeable doctor!  I got one referral after another and test after test and medication after medication until I ended up in the emergency room.

Hang in there!
What kind of blood test?

I was on Effexor which was a nightmare. I had an undertow of depression and a headache which we assumed was FM for two years until I went off.  
I have just been on Wellbutrin for the depression I have suffered from my whole life and Topamax which halted the migraines I had at least four times a week.

Still the FM pain was intense and throughout my body 24/7.  I asked my Dr. to put me on Cymbalta. She lowered the Wellbutrin and put me on the lowest Cymbalta 20mg. and already I feel a difference.  The one thing I noticed is, if I don't stay active, I get tired by the afternoon, which I didn't before the Cymbalta.  My muscles are still cramping but the intense neurological pain is what has lessened.

I'm supposed to raise my dose to 40mg. in a few days, but I think I shall wait a bit longer to see if the 20 mg. will suffice.  Maybe less is better.  Sometimes more can make things worse.
Response from Prof. Nicolson:  I am sorry.  I do not have experience with this drug.