Fibromyalgia Community
does anyone else have nerupathy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

does anyone else have nerupathy

I am sure this has been posted before:  but does anyone else have neurpathy (mine is sensory-motor with axonal damage)?  I find that some doctors blame the FMS for the nerve damage but not sure that would be true.  All I know is that more and more things going wrong:  no longer sweat, can get chills or become overheated (losing temp. control); weakness in legs and arms, and could go on.  But I would like to know how many might have nerve damage and has it been diagnosed as cause or being blamed on FMS.  
Yes, I have all kinds of neuropathy issues.  Mine did not show up on EMG testing though.  True FMS does not cause actual nerve damage.   Have you been screened for lyme disease?  This is the probable cause of my neurologic problems.
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Fibromyalgia/Fibromyalgia---No-Longer-An-Invisible-Syndrome/show/503?cid=39

http://www.jrheum.com/subscribers/06/04/827-c.html

I believe that anyone with FMS will have some form of neuropathy, since the main problem seems to be within the Central Nervous System.  I think the neuropathy would explain the skin hypersensitivity that those with fibro tend to have.  Some forms of neuropathy can also be hereditary.  What we don't know is how or why this happens.  

I also have a variety of neuropathic symptoms.
Yes I  do. I'am taking lyrica and it is working good on making my feet and legs feel better.
I have it too. I was on Lyrica for almost 6 months, It did not help at all.
I have many neuropathic pain/sensory issues. I guess when the CNS is being affected there are a multitude bad things that can happen.  Drs are baffled, but in any case, they don't discuss FMS much in my case as a likely possibility. No one has thought to check me for trigger points, for example.
I'm so sorry to hear that.  Have you been to a neurologist or rheumatologist?  I think that they are the most likely to test and understand this sort of illness.  

I was on Lyrica for almost a year, but recently stopped it due to side-effects.  It did work, but I had a problem with being lethargic and even more fogged.

Take care all.
Have your thyroid adequately tested with a TSH 3rd Generation test and post your results here.  Many of us have hyporthyroid and this can cause the symptoms you describe especially the loss of temperature control, sweating, muscle weakness and I believe neuropathy.  Routine thyroid tests often miss hypothyroid.

Also chronic infections such as EBV and HHV-6 affect nerve endings.  These chronic infections are associated with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue.  HHV-6 is even assocated with MS. Get tested for these chronic infections.

Muscle spasms which are common with fibro. also irritate nerve endings, but if the thyroid and chronic infections are treated, it's possible the muscle spasms will subside (this is my hope).

Warm Regards,
Ree4tu

I have degenative disk disease and recently was diagnoised with fibromialgia (fibromyalgia), I have nerupathy bad in my right leg and foot, it twitches all the time, I to take lyrica but i dont feel that it stops any of it, does anyone else feel this way?

thanks.
                                                                                          vchap49 from indiana
Yes, I have some kind of neuropathy.  I get some in all kinds of places, not just my hands and feet.  I've had some that was so bad right behind my breast.  It seems to always be in the same one or two spots when it's behind my breast, and it seems to be one breast more than the other breast.  When I get neuropathy in that spot it really hurts.  I get it in all kinds of weird places, in places I didn't know I had.  LOL.  Some neuropathy hurts more than other places and can really hurt bad.
My doctor won't run this test, because the protocol says that the TSH has to be off before they run other tests.  I'm sure I have something going on with my thryoid, since I have many of the classic symptoms, including hirsutism.  I don't know how much this test costs out of pocket, but my doctor did say that the test is expensive.  Great. :(  

And, the thing of it is, my hirsutism seems to only be getting worse the older I get, too.  The only thing the doctor has ever tried to combat hirsutism is birth control pills, but that's missing the point, because the birth control pills made me feel sick and I felt like they only contributed to more hair growth.  I sure with I knew how to convince a doctor to run this TSH third generation test, instead of the standard protocol.  I've tried with my doctor to run the other thyroid tests, and she won't do anything other than the protocol.  

She said this is too much like alternative medicine to run the tests this way and that the test is expensive.  It seems like all the things that would be the most likely to help are out of reach for me, since I'm low-income from being on disabiltiy and insurance just doesn't cover the tests that I need.  This is one area where she isn't supportive.  I wonder what she would say if I found a way to get this test and I was right that there is something unbalanced with the thyroid?  I wonder what it would be like if the test results showed something was wrong and I needed to get further tests done in the future?  Would it still be a problem getting the tests done in the first place and getting the tests paid for by my insurance?
I have neuropathy but don't know if it is from my Fibromyalgia - didn't develop until 2 years after diagnosis. I even developed optic neuropathy (went half blind) and an Optic neurologist said it was vitamin deficiency since I'd had a long bout of vomiting after very strong IV antibiotics and possible systemic yeast/candidiasis. At any rate, I went on heavy vitamin therapy and it helped all the neuropathy though I still have a string of days with it due to I don't know what. The vitamin therapy just happened to reduce the FMS pain - most of these also help circulation in general. All B's (100 mg's daily) with an extra B-12 - 2,000 mg C daily, 600 IU of E - and then I throw in two multi-vitamins. I get all these at Wal-Mart or Dollar General and it has been worth every penney. Extra protein seems to help also. This all has made me believe in nutrtitional therapy for the first time. FMS is still not great but I don't have those days of writhing and crying in pain sitting on the couch hunched up.
The hirsutism - are you pre-menopausal? That's when mine started and it got much worse with full menopause and lack of estrogen as did the FMS. I'm of Italian heritage and had watched my sister's go through it. Plucking went to Sally Hansen and now shaving - chin stuff!! It's just much easier. Hate it - yes - but it's inevitable for some women. Good luck with the neuropathy. I know it's a PIA!!!
Trippsmom/Jean