Fibromyalgia Community
does anyone particularly feel travel by air is exhausting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

even though it just involves sitting (which is what i usually do!), i find travel has been draining, even flying which isn't as jolty as road travel. doesn't even have to be across a time zone, it's just as though your energy gets left behind and has to catch up. it's sort of like a transplant shock. anyone else? just curious.
Tags: Flying
Even before I was diagnosed with fibro/CFS, I always found air travel to be especially exhausting.  I think it was a combination of the stress of dealing with the airport (security, long lines, LOTS of walking, etc) and also the extreme dry air in the planes, as well as basically being stuck in one position for the entire duration of your flight.  I mean, at least in a car, you can adjust your positioning a little bit to make yourself more comfortable as you need to, but when you're crammed into a tiny little seat with possibly people on either side of you, you're afraid to even breathe for fear of disturbing your fellow travelers!  In my case, too, I have NEVER enjoyed flying (I'm actually quite scared of it), so I'm sure just the release of anxiety when I arrive at my destination was enough to completely exhaust me.

I don't travel by air anymore unless it's an absolutely necessity (emergency), so I can't give any recent feelings on this, but I have definitely traveled by air since my diagnosis.

Travel of any kind just tends to completely wear me out and make me hurt so much worse - even going the 20 miles to my parent's house can leave me needing 15-30 minutes to "unfold" myself when I arrive and be able to get moving again.  I can't even imagine how I would be with any significant length of travel!
ohmygosh a word-for-word description of the whole experience. in fact a trip to the shop or anywhere now consists of seven steps; rest/ drive there/ rest/ appointment or task/ rest in car/ drive home/ rest (unfold)!
bummer that you haven't really liked travel to start with. i loved commute and travel. i love(d) wheels and wings. enough to make shed some tears regretting how i can't travel for leisure anymore and had used to a lot in the past sssigh. thanks for the notes - truly a shared experience - absolutely dry air and long lines and travel hassles (which formerly werent a bother to me...)
life is hell. but my friends here are  freakin great!
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there that has to "unfold" after traveling, but also depressing and frustrating that we have to go through that.

I did used to enjoy traveling - just not air travel.  I had always loved going by train or car - I think my favorite being the train because you got to see the "heart" of the land as you clickety clacked by.  I had always been one to, on the spur of the moment, throw a few things in the car, jump in and say "ROAD TRIP!" and then just take off to see where I would end up.  So yes, I also quite often shed tears thinking about the travel that I can no longer enjoy.  It's really hard - I've had to say no to several trips with a friend simply because I KNOW that a) I'll be miserable getting to where we are going, 2) I'll be even more miserable when we arrive and I think the worst one for me is 3) because I know I'll be miserable, I also know that I would ruin the trip for my friend, which is something that I would hate to do.  So therefore, instead of going and being miserable but yet trying to put on a happy face for my friend, I regrettably decline the offer to go along.

I totally agree with you that friends here are AWESOME!!