Fibromyalgia Community
exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

exercise

I know they say that water aerobics and light excersizes are good to treat the fibro pain, but whta about hitting the gym to do a normal exercise routine? i have been working out on & off the past few days and my body feels like ****! it seems that when i pull a muscle its 50x worse than it was before i started suffering from fibro. im just trying to figure out if working out will show some long term affects in reducing pain or if im only making things worse. i walk a good hour everyday which ive been told is very beneficial. should i stick to yoga/aerobic type workouts or is hitting the gym okay? thanks ahead for any replies. <KAM
I do believe that physical therapy can be good for fibro and other muscle aches and pains (also RA).  But you must learn to pace yourself when working out.  When you get home and you are hurting 50x worse, you've over done it.  You have fibro and it's not something that will go away, however, you want to keep active as much as you can so that you don't become stiff and weak.  A light/low impact type of exercise is what is good for us fibromites.

Walking is great; yoga is also good if your body can tolerate some of the positions.  Water aerobics are wonderful, but you might want to begin with a class that does low impact aerobics so that you don't overwork yourself.  You're doing the right thing...just keep it simple and remember that your body isn't going to come back when it's pushed to the limit, like it did before you had fibro.

Please take care and wishing you low pain.
I'm going to see a PT today to ask just that question. Granted, household chores get the best of me at this point. I can't even GO THERE when thinking of adding an exercise routine to my ToDo list. lol   Have you asked your Doc about PT? It might be a good start, and then your PT can guide you as to what you can work on while not in the therapy room. :)
Ok, I know this is going to sound just plain lazy, but I play at least 6 games of bowling on my Wii everyday. With my jacked up knees walking is out right now, I do swim in the afternoons, but I get a good work out with the Wii bowling game. Besides, it's fun...................:)~

gentle hugs
Angel
That doesn't sound crazy Angel.  A Wii is a great way to get some daily exercise in and allows you to do it at your own pace.  I'm liking it!!! My son thinks he may get one for Christmas and I can't wait to try it out.