Fibromyalgia Community
fibro after surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

fibro after surgery?

First some history,

feb 07 L5 microdisectomy

aug 07 myelogram went way bad!! needle was inserted too high and hit my spinal cord, instant pain from waist down even in the vaginal area, could not go on with the test, didn't walk for 5 days and couldn't even let a sheet touch my foot, wound up in the ER, had a mri that same day it showed minimal bleeding at the T12 level, i had the terrible spinal fluid headache that lasted almost three days went to the doctor and got pain shots for the headache and when the doctor pushed on the glands in my neck I about passed out with the pain and was told that was the pressure from the fluid.  I did get somewhat better with my leg, over about three or four weeks, after that there has been no improvement, I can walk but I do have constant pain in my leg and foot, and my ankle has a stabbing pain, while part of my foot is numb.

March 07 c5 c6 fusion with donor bone and plate and screws.

I of course did not feel well after the myelogram, but after the cervical surgery, I just have had the worst all over pain, fatigue, can't sleep, shortness of breath, heart racing with little excertion, ears ringing, BAD memory, can't focus,nausea, muscles are so tender I can't stand to put pressure anywere on my body and this is getting worse everyday.  Eyes are achy and tired feeling, I have had a few spells were I get dizzy and feel pressure in my head, and when this happens everything looks like it is moving away from me.  My abdomen always feel bloated and aches, I do have bladder interstitial cycstitis and enometriosis. and I have psorisis on my scalp.  I probably have more symptoms I just can't remember right now.

I have been diagnosed with fibro by two rheumatologists, they both say this is from the trauma to the cervical region, and that it should get better as my neck feels better, well it has been almost 8 months and my neck and shoulder muscles are as tight as they were after surgery, I just worry they are missing something.  I have had alot of blood work and the only thing out of wack was a positive ana with hemangeous pattern. but the other test like Lupus, RA vitamin defieancies, sed rate, folic ?, all were normal.    

Do you think they are missing something?

My aunt, my mother sister has MS, and my mothers cousin died from Lupus.  My mothers father died of Leukiemia

I have read alot about Arachnoid Lesions, could I have developed that after the myelogram?  From what I have read it can cause alot of different symptoms. Although it is rare.

I just feel like I am only getting worse everyday.  I need to get back to work, but I know I can't last a fourty hour week, and usually we work alot of overtime which means 16 hour shifts, which I use to be able to work 4- 16 hour shifts in a row, I could work up to 72 hours in 5 days, and now I don't thing I could make it through 3 hours.

Also after the last couple of years and all I have been through I am depressed which I know does not help my symptoms, but it is hard to find a good side to all of this.

Also more info if needed, I am 34 years old 5 feet 10 inches  147lbs  over the last 3 months I have lost 20lbs.

do not smoke, or drink, have two children 15 and 5  and a great husband.

I would be happy to have any adivse, and thank you for your time.

bdm92
I remembered one other symptom, my throat seems to be a little sore all the time, not real bad like strep but just sore enough to be a bother.

Glands in my neck feel tender but I am not for sure if this is just muscle tenderness.

are ther any tests that you would reccomned my to have?

Oh one other thing, My neuro surgeon told me that my surgery was a real pain, it took much longer than it should have, I have a very thin neck so he said it should have been a quick and easy surgery for him, but he said my muscles in my neck were so thick and tight he couldn't hardly get them to move.

When I went back to the the neurosurgeon for a follow up appt, I told him I had been to a rheumatologist and they said I had fibro, I was nervous about telling him because from what i have read some doctors don't believe in this.  He got all excited and said he use to think it was all a bunch off bull, but now he has discovered that every patient he has operated on with fibro always have the thickest tightest muscles he has ever seen, and now he is very much a believer in fibro.

If my muscles were so thick and tight when he opened me up, why wasn't I already having this severe "all over" muscle pain.  And all the other symptoms that I now have.

OK I think that is all, sorry to be so long!!

thanks bdm92
.......I am wondering did ur surgeon say y he thought ur neck was thick/tight?......please review info on the following sites and rule out as a possibility.
the chiari institute and www.asap.org
Have u had a MRI since this incident?-ask for one .

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
He said that the tight/thick muscles are from the fibro, and all patients that he has operated on with fibro, have muscles like this.  
No I have not had an mri since the surgery, only and x ray of the fusion.  

I have read some on the chiari, would it cause my muscles to be thick, or tight?
thanks bdm92
mine r like that......

"selma"