Fibromyalgia Community
fibro and legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

fibro and legs

I have had fibromyalgia for 7 years. In the last year i can not walk up stairs with anything in my arms. I have to put down what i have in my arms on  the stair and take the stairs one by one and i can not get up with my legs i have to use my arms to pull my self up. Is this part of fibro or is it somthing i should look into???
I certainly can relate to what you are going through with your legs I was diagnosed just 1yr ago however figured I have had fibromyalgia for quite some time. I am going through some similar problems with my legs I too cannot get up with my legs and I have to use my arms however at times that can also be a challenge for me I am actually now using a cane to walk longer distances as at times I am very unstable on my feet. I don't know if you are going through similar issues but sometimes when I am walking down the street it feels like I am not walking straight and my right side has weakness and severe pain going from my knee right up to my hip. I am currently having this investigated my doctor has told me I also have bursitis in both hips but she has ordered an ultrasound for my right knee. If you feel that is a new symptom for you I would have it investigated sometimes its good to have it checked out just to know rather then assuming. Let me know how you make or if you just want to vent. Take care!
Thank you thank you thank you. I have also been told i have bursitis in both my hips. I am sorry that you have fm but thank you for talking to me now i know i am not alone. I do not talk to my friends or family about my pains they do not understand . I am 50 and feel like i am 80. I take more meds then my parents and my mother in law who is 89. Do you work? I am off right now , i worked in a pharmacy my boss the owner was very good to me and would tell me when i had done too much. He sold the pharmacy a year ago so i am off right now . My husband is good to me but does not understand at all he wants me off all the meds. I try to tell him i need the meds to live.My doctor has tried to tell him about the pain but he is a person who does not  even get head aces.Take care
I also have fibro - was diagnosed about 12 years ago, but my doctors and I both feel I had it for many years before that.

I do too have a LOT of trouble going up and down stairs, (I try to avoid them at all costs) however, in my case, I'm not sure it's all 100% from the fibro (although I'm sure it doesn't help).  I also have severe arthritis in all areas of my body, but especially in both my knees, right ankle and both hips, so I'm sure due to that, it only adds to the inability to do stairs.  I also have a hard time just walking and do have a power chair that I use to get around whenever it involves much walking at all.  

I know what you mean about family and some friends not understanding what we're going through - it really is hard for them if they've never had chronic pain - but also gets so frustrating for us because they don't understand.  I'm glad that it sounds like you have a good doctor who DOES understand the pain - that's very important.  Unfortunately, there are still mnay doctors who don't understand or even believe in fibro.  I also am one of the lucky ones who has found a great doctor who not only understands fibro and the pain/fatigue, etc., involved, but is always more than willing to listen to me and work together with me to find the right combination of medication, therapies, etc., that work best for ME.  As with most other illnesses, fibro does not always affect everyone the exact same way.

As angelblueeyes said, if this is something that is new for you, then it would certainly warrant at least geting ti checked out just to make sure there is not something else going on also.

I hope you both feel free to message me any time if you'd like to talk - maybe we can help each other through our toughest times.
Thank you for your message. One of my doctors called today and i have to go in with all my meds in the am. Maybe i will get some answers. take care