Fibromyalgia Community
fibro/herpes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

fibro/herpes

i have developed like this fibro pain since my diagnosis of herpes in aug08.  one dr tells me its from my anxiety of the herpes, one dr says its from the herpes and another said herpes doesnt cause that.  Just wandering if anyone is aware of this and can help?  and if it isnot from herpes could it be a cancer in my body that they are not finding?
Don't panic that it's Cancer...by now you've had so many blood tests they would have discovered Cancer, if it's there.  

The Fibro may be triggered by the stress of Herpes, both physically and mentally.  There are quite a few theories out there that Fibro is brought on by severe stress and anxiety, as well as having the presence of a virus in your system.

There are TONS of great informational websites devoted to Fibro pain/symptoms and suggestions as to what the causes are.  Do some research and read up on how to manage your pain and improve your immune system so that you stay healthy!

I would highly recommend you begin on a nutrient/supplement program involving some very good vitamins and clean up your diet...i.e... stop eating processed foods and high fat/sugar items.  It has been noted by many Drs and Patients that a poor diet can trigger Fibro pain and symptoms.

There may not be a way to CURE Herpes or Fibro, but educating yourself on how to improve your immune system and your own personal health will go a very long way to improving the quality of your life and helping you manage the pain and inconvenience of it all.  Knowledge is Power!
thanks so much for clearing that up for me.  cause i am worried  all the time!!!!  this is alot of good information that will help me!!!
Hi Angel,  I'm new to the sight and saw your question.  I've had fibromyalgia for about 30 years.  And I have to say I have 'never' heard of a virus being the cause, though I have heard that an illness or trauma, mental or physical, may initiate the symptoms.  I have heard that herpes may be related to the virus that could be the cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  And it is speculated that the herpes virus does not break into our immune systems.  It does, however, take advantage of an immune system that may all ready be worn down from other factors.  Many of us are "sitting ducks" due to chemical exposure, a break down in the body's ability to produce energy, and a malabsorption of nutrients the body needs.  It's most likely that you were "run down" when you picked up the herpes virus and the consequence was to initiate your symptoms.

What I have come to believe causes fibromyalgia is too much exposure to antibiotics, which kill the normal bacteria in our bowel and causes damage resulting in improper absorbtion of nutrients.  Yeast overgrows in our symptoms because we lack the normal bacteria in the colon that kills it.  Hormones taken either for birth control or even from meat products from animals given hormones, affect our systems and alter our normal body function.  And allergies we don't even know we have.  Over time we begin to collect the consequences of our bodies not functioning as they were designed.  We collect toxins in our muscles and the nerves hence become "over reactive".  Thus, welcome to the land of fibromyalgia.  I totally agree with "vintagechicken" about diet and taking care of yourself.  Fibromyalgia is actually very complicated and what they don't tell us is that it affects every system in your body.  Our digestive system, the way we breathe, our tears, our skin, our glands, our muscles, our nerves, and any other system is affected by fibromyalgia.  I say this not to alarm you, but to show you that you have good reason not to feel good.  

Give yourself time to learn how your body is functioning now.  And I can tell you from personal experience that learning all you can about a healthy diet and muscle activity, from physical therapy to just stretching on your own can save you many consequences down the road.  Learn all you can, and don't assume your doctor knows how to properly treat you.  So many of them still don't believe it exists!  And some of the ones that do, have no through training in all it takes to treat the problems in all those systems.

The best book I have found to get you started is:  Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain, A Survival Manual, Second Edition, by Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland.  Devin Starlanyl also has a web site you can easily find on Google.

Good luck to you sweetie.  I wish you all the best.
Donna10112    
thanks for sharing all of that good info with me.  i do appreciate it....cause since my herpes outbreak last yr it has been one thing after another.  first it was the herpes... my outbreak was so bad that my gyno thought for sure it would have been cancer.  but come to fine out after the herpes outbreak in aug 09 along with all the pain physically and emotionally and the nerve pain, in jan 10 the dr found precancerous cells on my cervix which was caused by the HPV (highrisk) virus. i thought i was finally learning to cope with the herpes than this happens...i am only 30 yrs old and i feel 80.  it was a combination of events that happened and probaly freaked me and my body out.  note that none of this was expected being that i have been in a faithful relationship for the past 2 in a half yrs.  so it has been very stressful and these sights are really helping me because the drs donot know what to do with me anymore....so it helps me to know that this nerve pain can just be my body reacting to all this stress at once, and not another disease or problem...hopefully nothing else!!!!  thank you so much and i hope all goes well with you too!!
I have been diagnosed with both.  I have had HSV2 for over 30 yrs and have had FMS for 23yrs.  Everytime I have a HSV2 breakout, my fatigue and pain overall go through the roof.  I have a severe case of FSM and CF with intermitent bouts of HSV2 break out every 3-4 months.  I have a feeling they ARE related.  
YOU HAVE FIBRO! Virus are one KNOWN CAUSE of Fibro,; specifically MONO as a child!  I had momo when I was 11. And YES Herpes could have been either the illness or traumatic event, which triggered your FIBRO.

See a Rheumatologist that specialises in Fibro and CFS.
P.S. I'm not on a sufferer but a Registered Nurse.