fibromyalgia and breastfeeding
Anyone know of any medications used to treat fibromyalgia that is safe to take while nursing? I have had a hard time looking these up on the net since your basics like lyrica and savella and cymbalta are not recommended. Not sure what to do. Dr wanted me to start savella and told me it was ok to take but my primary doctor who is also my babys doctor told me that it wasn't recommended. Thanks
Hi there!
Lyrica, Savella and Cymbalta are all excreted into human milk. The effects in the nursing infant are unknown. It is advisable to discontinue the drug or temporarily discontinue breast feeding while a woman is on these drugs. The safe pain medications when you're breastfeeding include acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen. Low-dose narcotics are safe as a one-time treatment, but repeated use should be avoided as it can prove harmful to the baby. There is no cure for fibromyalgia and management consists of finding an effective combination of lifestyle adjustments, such as regular exercise and healthy diet, and medication therapy. Do consult your doctor before taking any medication. I hope it helps.
Good luck!